[Solved] NTFS Repartitioning Cause Grub Rescue Mode In Dual Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved] NTFS Repartitioning Cause Grub Rescue Mode In Dual Boot

Post by Kendoori »

I am a dual booter and had a reason to take an existing NTFS partition and subdivide it. I used GParted on LiveUSB to do this, but did the final formatting the unallocated space in Windows 10. When I went to reboot, I got the dreaded: "Grub Rescue Unknown Filesystem" prompt.

Can someone walk me through how to repair GRUB. I am doing this from my LiveUSB. My setup is below.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: NTFS Repartitioning Cause Grub Rescue Mode In Dual Boot

Post by arvy »

See four possibilities explained in this online article. As you are currently working in the Mint "live" environment, Method 2 is probably easiest for you.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I ended up going with Option 4, but instead of the installing it to the Live CD, I used the Live CD to make a bootable US with boot-repair on it:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

I'm back up and running; however, Windows was wiped from GRUB. It's still on my drive.

This may be a sign that it's time to wipe Windows, but I would like to try adding it back onto GRUB if I can.

BTW, I do have TimeShift backups that are accessible.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Re: NTFS Repartitioning Cause Grub Rescue Mode In Dual Boot

Post by Kendoori »

arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Yeah, Method 2 specifies the need to run update-grub as the last step, but Method 4 omits any such mention for some unknown reason. Anyhow, method matters less than results. All's well that ends well. Congrats. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”