Running mint from 1 Terabyte USB stick

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Running mint from 1 Terabyte USB stick

Post by catweazel »

pbear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 am Data partition is NTFS because I want my Windows machine to be able to read it also (serves as second backup).
Windwoes 10 with Windows Services for Linux installed can do that without having the drive formatted as NTFS.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:30 am
pbear wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 am Data partition is NTFS because I want my Windows machine to be able to read it also (serves as second backup).
Windwoes 10 with Windows Services for Linux installed can do that without having the drive formatted as NTFS.
Learn sumptin' new every day. Thanks.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

johan285 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:45 pm I followed pbear's tutorial and formatted the USB stick successfully with Gpart in 3 blocks: one for root, one for home and the last block were left free.

Then I installed mint on this USB stick as advised. I assigned root to the destination partition and didn't check "format" under "modify". Then I assigned grub to the disk and not to its partition, back in the main window of the installer.

I left my computer for awhile, doing other things and expected to see a full progress bar/finish dialog at my return. But nothing, the installer seems to have problems and the progress bar is still empty. The details reveal problems but I'm unable to interpret it or to copy-paste-save and post it here
:(

Maybe my stick is defective. I'll see to buy another one
Sorry, but you don't supply enough information to understand what you did. By the way, I've never had a Mac, so I don't know what options are available. I do know the installer bug affects Macs, though, as there have been several threads about it here and on the Ubuntu Forum. You need to be careful. Indeed, I'd say make sure you understand how this works before making another attempt.

Let's start with, which option in the tutorial did you try? You realize Mac uses EFI, right? Is it even possible to boot a Mac in BIOS mode?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You've surprised me! When did 1TB flash drives become so cheap and available? SSDs are still darned expensive by comparison.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:52 am You've surprised me! When did 1TB flash drives become so cheap and available? SSDs are still darned expensive by comparison.
Ten bucks on fleabay. They'd probably the fake ones everyone who bought one has been complaining about. The real ones are pushing a grand.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

catweazel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:58 pmI think the better approach is to leave a chunk of unallocated space at the end of the drive for future expansion, or put in an extra partition just for backup images. The point I'm making is for the OP; chopping up a drive takes planning and thought. The only reason to go above around 40GB is if the machine has 32GB or more of RAM and needs to hibernate.
I'll agree with all of that. Especially the point about chopping up a drive taking planning. When I partitioned by 1TB WD Passport USB drive, I actually mapped out the partition sizes on a spreadsheet just to make sure I had what I wanted. Then I had to install the macOS first otherwise it would never have booted.

Partitioning takes a lot of thought and planning. It's similar to what carpenters say: measure twice, cut once. Good advice.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

catweazel wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 am
lsemmens wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:52 am You've surprised me! When did 1TB flash drives become so cheap and available? SSDs are still darned expensive by comparison.
Ten bucks on fleabay. They'd probably the fake ones everyone who bought one has been complaining about. The real ones are pushing a grand.
For 10 bucks I might just risk it. Not today, though. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Installation & Boot”