Does Mint 19.1 support secure boot (out of the box)?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Namf_Mint
Level 1
Level 1

Does Mint 19.1 support secure boot (out of the box)?

Post by Namf_Mint »

My Mint installation will not boot if 'secure boot' is enabled in my BIOS. I am unsure that this has always been the case; I think I may have messed things up somehow. So has it always been the case? That is, does Mint 19.1 support secure boot? I do not mean: does Mint support secure boot after one has generated one's own keys and done complicated things.Rather, my question is: does Mint (19.1) support secure boot out of the box, as it were?

I can't find an answer in the release notes for any edition of Mint 19. Nor have I found the answer elsewhere.

Thanks.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Does Mint 19.1 support secure boot (out of the box)?

Post by pbear »

Mint generally does not boot unless secure boot is disabled. This has always been true, AFAIK.

This is mentioned in the Installation Guide, by the way. See here.
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Yes, Mint 19 and even Mint 18 supported Secure Boot unless you need to use third party drivers for wifi/video and whatever as the grub bootloader and the kernels are signed
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Mint 19.1 won't boot on my plain vanilla HP15 unless secure boot is disabled. If disabled, boots without any other special measures. This was acknowledged in LM18. For example, the release notes for Mate 18.1 state:
UEFI is fully supported.

Linux Mint is not certified by Microsoft (and should not need to be). If your computer is using "secureBoot", you might need to turn it off.

Note: You can also check rEFInd and sign the kernel with a MOK.
This language was dropped from the LM19 release notes, implying (improperly, I think) that it's somehow the user's or computer's fault when secure boot won't work.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:33 pm
This language was dropped from the LM19 release notes, implying (improperly, I think) that it's somehow the user's or computer's fault when secure boot won't work.
Yeah, but that's exactly the case. Some UEFI implementations are essentially broken (particularly HP's/Acer's Insyde brand UEFI is a common cause of trouble around these parts). With a compliant UEFI implementation there are no problems, e.g. the laptop I'm currently writing this on has secure boot enabled and always had.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

JeremyB wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:42 pm
Yes, Mint 19 and even Mint 18 supported Secure Boot unless you need to use third party drivers for wifi/video and whatever as the grub bootloader and the kernels are signed
I second this.... However, the official advice to disable Secure Boot in all cases, is sound. It's "best practice".
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

When three experienced users tell me it works, there's nothing for it but to test again. To my surprise, I'm unable to reproduce the problem. Not sure why, as I've tested it three times in the past. There's an old saying, though, you can't dip your foot in the same river twice. For example, one of the things I did was download the current version of Etcher, where the one I'd been using till now had gotten over a year old. Also, although I don't think I've gotten a UEFI update since the last time I tested this, I can't be certain. In any event, yes, I'm able to boot 19.1 (and even 18.3) with secure boot enabled.

Return to “Installation & Boot”