Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15ARR not loading Mint 19.1

Post by gylnne »

Hi folks,

I am fairly new to Linux Mint, have used it on and off on pc's for awhile. A few months ago purchased a Ideapad with Rzyen 5 and Vega Radeon graphics. Last month Windows 10 updates failed to install so now every day, 24/7 Windows is trying to update and to be honest I am tired of it.

So I briefly skimmed the forums here for any installation concerning this laptop or one similar and found it seemed to be hit and miss with it working right after install. So I decided to give it a go and got Linux Mint to load up in compatibility mode and did an install beside Windows.

Rebooted and Grub came up just fine but every option I was given to start Linux Mint failed to do anything. But Windows 10 I can load up just fine.

I would appreciate the steps I need to take to correct this and any advice, thank you.
Always remember no matter where you go, there you are.

gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15ARR not loading Mint 19.1

Post by gylnne »

Hmm,

I guess the no replies means Linux Mint is not useable on this laptop?

arvy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arvy »

Not necessarily. Just means that your post hasn't been seen by someone who is familiar with that particular machine.

I'm not either. However, you say:
gylnne wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm
So I decided to give it a go and got Linux Mint to load up in compatibility mode and did an install beside Windows.
If you are saying that you booted the Linux Mint installation media in BIOS-MBR "compatibility" mode, that's not going to work for installing Mint alongside a Windows OS that has been installed in UEFI-GPT mode. You need to boot the Mint installation media in the same mode as the currently installed OS you want to dual boot with. Furthermore, if you use Rufus for creating a USB stick from the ISO file, you need to choose the right mode for the media creation process. Rufus can provide both options with ALT-E, but doesn't by default.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 »

...exactly what arvy said: "your post hasn't been seen by someone who is familiar with that particular machine."
Not being familiar myself with it either, and since you haven't provided any more specific details,
i can only point you to this guide (that i found with merely 5 mins of searching to be honest):
https://www.reddit.com/r/kernel/comment ... untu_1804/

This explains how to pass a grub parameter temporarily to grub.
If nomodeset doesn't do it (most likely it won't), then replace with noapic as said over at the reddit post above.
Assuming you log in successfully afterwards, first thing to do is fire up Update Manager - View Kernels,
and upgrade the kernel to the latest 4.18.x revision.
Quite likely afterwards you will still have to battle with the wifi & the touchpad.

All in all, yes, it's certainly usable under Mint 19.x at this moment, yet with a couple of hickups to get it working properly.

gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gylnne »

"If you are saying that you booted the Linux Mint installation media in BIOS-MBR "compatibility" mode, that's not going to work for installing Mint alongside a Windows OS that has been installed in UEFI-GPT mode."

I installed Linux Mint while in compatibility mode which gave me the grub menu startup options. Please explain the purpose of the compatibility mode then as it seems to serve no purpose. Thank you.

gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gylnne »

thx-1138 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:33 pm

i can only point you to this guide (that i found with merely 5 mins of searching to be honest):
https://www.reddit.com/r/kernel/comment ... untu_1804/

This explains how to pass a grub parameter temporarily to grub.
If nomodeset doesn't do it (most likely it won't), then replace with noapic as said over at the reddit post above.
Assuming you log in successfully afterwards, first thing to do is fire up Update Manager - View Kernels,
and upgrade the kernel to the latest 4.18.x revision.
Quite likely afterwards you will still have to battle with the wifi & the touchpad.

All in all, yes, it's certainly usable under Mint 19.x at this moment, yet with a couple of hickups to get it working properly.
Thank you for the link. I did a 5 minute search also and found a comment that was not as detailed and was not successful following the instructions.

So am I to understand using the bios on the motherboard to pass commands on is really not used any more with UEFI?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Can you power off, press the Novo button and go into boot options? Post what options there are

gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gylnne »

JeremyB wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:10 am
Can you power off, press the Novo button and go into boot options? Post what options there are
Hi Jeremy,

My boot options on Grub version 2.02 are:

Linux Mint 19.1
Advanced Boot Options Linux Mint 19.1
Windows Boot Manager
System Setup

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Can you boot the Mint ISO in EFI only mode? If you can, post results for

Code: Select all

mokutil --sb-state; sudo parted -l

marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Hi,

You can get linux working on your machine. I was able to boot into linuxmint 19.1 beta on my
lenova ideapad S530 2700u 14inch Ryzen 7 vega 10, by doing this: to install dual boot alongside Win 10, disable secure boot in the bios and choose uefi and bios in the bios. When I plugged in the usb live disk of LM 19.1 beta I made sure to edit the grub line with nomodeset.

I found this link below which maybe you already read:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... 080/page/3 .
Personally, I would try the first solution first since it looks like the easiest.

I ended up installing ubuntu 18.10 on it which runs alongside windows 10. The trackpad worked right away but not the wireless and I had to do a fix that is on these forums somewhere to get it to work. It runs great right now, but I will be doing a new install soon since ubuntu 18.10 was a short term release. I may install linuxmint 19.1 cinnamon on it this time.

Once you get this resolved, I believe you will like how linux runs on this machine. On mine, it is extremely fast quiet and cool. Very impressed.

Good fortune,
Marcia

gylnne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gylnne »

A quick update atm.

Pressed e and on the linux line added noapic and replaced quick splash with nomodset.

Started Linux Mint right up.

I ran the update manager and updated the system.

Checking everything out at this time, will post back soon.

marcia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marcia »

Great news! Will look forward to hearing about your progress.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Joab_Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joab_Anderson »

Hello, did you install Linux Mint? I have the same problem too, and I would like help.
Sorry for my English because I'm Brazilian.
I also have a Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15ARR.

fedelep
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fedelep »

We just had an ideapad 330s Ryzen 5 roll through. The client had attempted to install Mint 19.2 on it without going to the BIOS and disabling UEFI or TPM. Part of the BIOS appears to have been overwritten and the machine was fairly bricked. Changes to the BIOS startup order were not saved and the machine would neither boot from HDD or USB.

To fix the situation, we removed the SSD from the ideapad and wiped it from a PC. We reinstalled the SSD and were then able to boot off of a USB iso. We had to use a mouse and USB to Ethernet converter to gain functionality as all ports were used.

During Grub from the USB, we pressed 'e'.

We changed the Linux line by replacing "quiet" and "nosplash" with "noapic" and "nomodset".

We then were able to install Mint graphically, although we could not turn of UEFI. There was a step where we had to set a UEFI password to install proprietary drivers.

Upon the first boot without the USB, the UEFI screen came up and we had to enter the password. After UEFI, Grub started and we had to press 'e' again and make the same changes to the Linux line listed above.

After booting, everything worked except for the touchpad and wireless. A reboot involved going into Grub and making the changes listed above (again). So we decided to change the Grub boot options for the Linux kernel.

To get the Linux kernel to boot without error we opened:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and replaced

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nosplash"

with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noapic nomodset"

To make the changes permanent we used:

sudo update-grub

After that the kernel booted correctly, even after updating.

The wireless drivers were still an issue. To install the wireless drivers first do all the updates:

sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade

Next, note the model of the wireless card:

lspci | grep Real
01:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Download the tools needed to install the driver. In our case:
sudo apt install git dkms build-essential

Download the driver
git clone https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce.git

Enter the folder for the driver
cd rtl8821ce

Install the driver
sudo ./dkms-install.sh

Be sure to follow the UEFI prompts and register the key upon reboot.

The client had a Bluetooth mouse and did not want the tablet to work, so we did not go there. Perhaps someone else can help you with that.

DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DisturbedDragon »

It is completely possible. I have Mint 19.2 installed on my 330s and 720s, both Ryzen 5. Both installed in place of Winwoes in UEFI mode without issue. After install both 720s is fully functional. Had to update to kernel 5.0.0 for the 330s touchpad to function.

The USB drive must be selected to boot in UEFI mode to complete the install.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
1TB Crucial P1 NVMe
1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
-------------------------------------
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 5.3.0-40

Return to “Installation & Boot”