Sigh... will there ever be a day that I can install LM on my mid-2017 MacBook Pro 14,2 (no touchbar)?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Sigh... will there ever be a day that I can install LM on my mid-2017 MacBook Pro 14,2 (no touchbar)?

Post by James_Smith »

I bought this MacBook Pro with the intention of running LM on it knowing that there was a possibility it might be a little over my head (I wanted a challenge). Well, turns out it is a lot over my head and I just can't get it to work. I have no keyboard, trackpad, bluetooth or sound.

Will the drivers for these ever be available for MBP?
sudo apt-get --purge remove macOS

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sigh... will there ever be a day that I can install LM on my mid-2017 MacBook Pro 14,2 (no touchbar)?

Post by Pierre »

you could start, by letting us know, just what you've done so far,,
& where you got the instructions from, as well, would help.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sigh... will there ever be a day that I can install LM on my mid-2017 MacBook Pro 14,2 (no touchbar)?

Post by James_Smith »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:22 am
you could start, by letting us know, just what you've done so far,,
& where you got the instructions from, as well, would help.
I just tried to load LM 19.1 like normal. I just tried to make it a dual boot machine. Well, I did make it a dual boot machine. I just can't get the keyboard, trackpad, audio card, or bluetooth to work. Strange as it may seem WiFi did work.

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

Ahem, that doesn't tell us what you DID. Without knowing that, pretty much impossible to help.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

pbear wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:12 am
Ahem, that doesn't tell us what you DID. Without knowing that, pretty much impossible to help.
Step 1: Create a live USB or disk. Go to Linux Mint website and download ISO file.
Step 2: Make a new partition for Linux Mint.
Step 3: Boot in to live USB.
Step 4: Start the installation.
Step 5: Prepare the partition.
Step 6: Create root, swap and home.
Step 7: Follow the trivial instructions.

pbear
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pbear »

Well, that explains why you're having so much trouble troubleshooting. Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

James_Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by James_Smith »

pbear wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm
Well, that explains why you're having so much trouble troubleshooting. Good luck.
I don't know what you're looking for. I wanted to make a dual boot machine so I used LM 19.1 live USB and followed the instructions. LM works fine except that I have to use a USB keyboard and a USB mouse and I have no sound and no bluetooth.

So, what I've tried is nothing more or less than installing it as I on the many PCs I've installed it on.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Can you post the result of the following terminal command, and enclose it in [code][/code] tags? It saves everyone who is trying to help you (or even considering it) a ton of time.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Also, please tell us what you've tried so far, in order to get your peripherals working.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

It appears that for your MB Pro, needs some extra work beyond the standard install:

Have you looked at these:
https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/128 ... c6a92f9cd7
https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux

They have some info about extra things that may need to be done to get most of the hardware working. It’s not LM-specific, but the second link states that they’ve been tested with multiple distributions.
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.1
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Installation & Boot”