Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 19.1 Cinamon boot problem

Post by jdmckay » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am

Hi,

Installed this version (been using Mint as my Desktop for 5+ years) about 6 months ago, , working flawlessly.

Went out for a few hours this evening, left my laptop on... when I returned it was frozen (eg. Firefox open with about 5 tabs, nothing worked and mouse clicks did nothing). I shut my machine down, rebooted multiple times and now boot-up (1/2 dozen times) stops here:

BuxyBox v1.27.2(ubuntu 1:1.27.2 ubuntu3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'Help" for a list of commands
(initramfs)

Any suggestions? I still have my 19.1 installation on USB. I have all my files backed up I would have just done fresh install, only reason I did not was I do not have a Firefox Bookmarks file backup. If nobody has a fix for my boot issue, instructions for location/file name of FF bookmarks file will work just fine.

Thanks
Last edited by jdmckay on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 19.1 Cinamon boot problem

Post by catweazel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am

jdmckay wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am
Any suggestions? I still have my 19.1 installation on USB. I have all my files backed up I would have just done fresh install, only reason I did not was I do not have a Firefox Bookmarks file backup. If nobody has a fix for my boot issue, instructions for location/file name of FF bookmarks file will work just fine.
First up, it's probably quicker to reinstall. Second, you can copy your entire FF profile from /home/$USER/.mozilla. To see it in the file manager, just show hidden files, and you should see .mozilla. Just copy/paste it. When you're ready to get FF working again, paste the folder back into your new home directory before you start FF for the first time.

Also, now is probably a good time to recommend a separate home partition by selecting the 'something else' option. If this ever happens again, you can reinstall to / and simply mount /home to keep all your settings intact.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:00 am

At initramfs prompt type exit followed by enter and see if it will give you some hints about what is wrong.

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdmckay » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:14 am

@ catweazel:

Thx for quick reply. I copied files, should be fine.

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jdmckay » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 am

Oops... copied, but when I paste I get message: The folder ".mozilla" cannot be handled because you do not have permissions to read it.

I'm running on my USB boot disk right now.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:59 am

jdmckay wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 am
Oops... copied, but when I paste I get message: The folder ".mozilla" cannot be handled because you do not have permissions to read it.

I'm running on my USB boot disk right now.
You're probably logged in as "linuxmint" on a live media. This will mess up all the permissions on the directory but it should be of little consequence if you're rebuilding:

Code: Select all

sudo find {PATH] ! -user $(whoami)
chown $(whoami): {PATH]
Where [PATH] is the path to .mozilla

An alternative is to try unmounting the drive, sudo chown $USER /mnt then mount the drive on /mnt. You may then be able to use the file manager to do the copy.

Finally, and this might be the better option to try first, open a terminal, sudo su, followed by cp [PATH] /[NEW_HOME_PATH], then do this when you boot into the new installation:

Code: Select all

sudo find ~/ ! -user $(whoami)
chown $(whoami): ~/
Post back if you're not sure what to do.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

jdmckay
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Mint 19.1 Cinamon boot problem

Post by jdmckay » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Finally, and this might be the better option to try first, open a terminal, sudo su, followed by cp [PATH] /[NEW_HOME_PATH], then do this when you boot into the new installation:
Thanks, this option worked fine.

Still a bit curious what may have cased initial failure I described in 1st post

Return to “Installation & Boot”