Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.1 Mate boot problems, grub added other options

Post by pablok »

Dear members,

I installed Mint 19.1 Mate 64b on a different machine then it is supposed to run from. It would not install on the older laptop I wanted to use it on.
When I first started the laptop I saw a grub showing the Mint 19 option and lower an option from the other machine. Looking (with F2) at the messages that came by I also noticed a DEPEND warning about the lvm swap that could not be found on because it is on the creation machine.
I created a swap partition at the end of the mint disk.
To get this tackled I wonder if this can be solved by editing grub.

Thank you in advance,

peter blok
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 19.1 Mate boot problems, grub added other options

Post by TI58C »

Grub is showing the boot-menu it created on the machine it was installed on. Which is logical.
If you "move" such an installation to another machine, it will still show the boot-options that were there on the old one.

You could try to boot into linux mint , open a terminal and issue command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
And then reboot.

Does this help ?
Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

Thank you for your response TI58C.

The thing is Mint is not properly starting. So I do not have the option you suggest, performing a sudo update-grub.
But I tried to fix it with boot-repair and now it is no longer showing up in the grub menu. And still not starting.

peter
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi pablok,

The best thing I can advise is to do a new fresh install on the machine that you want mint to run on.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Are you getting the 90 sec delay? a job is running....
If so:
Use sudo blkid to get your correct UUID's and look closely at the swap number. In the same terminal: sudo (whatever your text editor is)
then open your root, etc, fstab
compare the swap numbers. Your fstab swap number probably doesn't match the swap UUID that blkid turned up. Replace the exact UUID number that blkid turned up inside of fstab with your text editor, save it. Alternatively, if you have an extra swap showing up in fstab that's not in blkid numbers, then remove it and save.
Then run:
sudo update-initramfs -u
Reboot.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

Hi KBD47

Am experienced user. Cannot even completely follow this without extensive search/study. So cannot tell if helpful. Too stupid...

Do not know how experienced topic-starter (TS) is (can only look at nr of posts), but don't you agree these raw chunks of meat might more than she/he can swallow ? To execute on a system that will not boot ? Could you explain that in pieces so that even I (or any novice) might understand ?

Robert
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Robert,
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it install on the target machine? I was thinking systemd was having a fit and delaying boot because you installed on one machine then put the drive in another. But now I'm wondering if there is something up with the machine you had trouble installing Mint on to start with.
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

I found a solution to get Mint to start. It needed the nomodeset option in Grub!
When I use this disk in a usb-sata-disk hub connected to the usb port of the laptop it functions properly. But when I put it where it belongs, in the laptop, it starts but my mouse clicks and keyboard don't function any more. And after a while the mouse freezes completely.

Any thoughts? Please.

Return to “Installation & Boot”