Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Replacing HDD with SSD (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

I am replacing my HDD on the Laptop with an SSD which is smaller than the original HDD. Will I have to reinstall everything or is there a way of cloning the HDD to the SSD?
Last edited by GELvdH on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Replacing HDD with SSD

Post by arvy »

Provided that the SSD is at least slightly larger than the used space on the HDD, almost any decent backup imaging application can do that for you, including some free ones. In most cases, partition size adjustments can be either automatic or specified as parameters for the restore process. What do you currently use for backup imaging or cloning? The Terabyte Suite that I use myself isn't free, but it includes a Linux version and an ISO file for creating bootable media.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Shrink down the partitions on your HDD with gparted (take a backup first) so that the total is less than the size of your new SSD (and all the unallocated space is at the end of the HDD). You will need to boot from a mint installation usb stick (or any other distro - most come with gparted) if you need to shrink/move your root partition and home partition (if you have one).

Had to do this recently 320G HDD to 240G SSD. I found one of these invaluable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-2-5-In ... 142&sr=8-5
If you don't have one you will need to take image backups of all the partitions on the HDD to an external drive and then restore afterwards.

Cloning software - clonezilla or I used macrium reflect (but it's windows based - need a PC running win to download and install it, then you can create a bootable usb).

Also handy to have a copy of boot-repair around, just in case.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

There is really no need to go messing around with resizing and/or relocating partitions on the source HDD. As I said above, any decent app, and that includes either Macrium (see here) or Terabyte (see here), will allow the necessary adjustments to be made when restoring to the destination SSD. I recommend the latter because of its native Linux support, including selective ext4 image view and restore, which Macrium lacks.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot

Return to “Installation & Boot”