Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Dual boot, no grub

Post by Andow » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:04 am

Linus cinnamon - Win 10 duel boot, after changing BIOS boot order, win 10 from 2nd to 1st position, and cinnamon to 2 position in the BIOS it boots straight in to win 10, no grub, when I did reverse order cinnamon to number 1st position, then restarted, it went to a black screen, nothing. My computer is a Lenovo 100s, SSD, 64 bit.
Any assistance is much appreciated
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title: typo corrected. It is "dual boot", not 'duel boot'

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dual boot, no grub

Post by Pierre » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:58 am

my newly acquired HP Laptop has the same issue,
and I've currently having to reboot that HP & then Press F9
in order to be able to access the Grub Boot Menu .. ..
:roll:
the fix is shown here, as applicable to that HP & probably this HP, as well.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=280597&start=20
at the end of that Page.
But, I've yet to apply that Fix, as yet, and so still have to Press F9 for the LinuxMint System.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow » Fri May 03, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi Pierre
I'm unable to access LM at all, so can not change boot name, I only have win 10 command prompt to work with ?.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 am

Hey Andow. Are you game for some deep system work? If so, this article might have the solution to your problem. Notably, the author is working from the Windows side rather than Linux. I should like to emphasize, I've never tested what is described here. I'm in the process of researching Windows boot tools, ran into this article and remembered your thread. Up to you whether to try.

Also, you might want to consider alternatives to dual boot. An inexpensive second machine (used) is simple, foolproof and useful (backup if main system needs to go to the shop). Or, you can install to USB drive, leaving the Windows system undisturbed. Or, install to VirtualBox.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am

pbear wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 am
Hey Andow. Are you game for some deep system work? If so, this article might have the solution to your problem. Notably, the author is working from the Windows side rather than Linux. I should like to emphasize, I've never tested what is described here. I'm in the process of researching Windows boot tools, ran into this article and remembered your thread. Up to you whether to try.

Also, you might want to consider alternatives to dual boot. An inexpensive second machine (used) is simple, foolproof and useful (backup if main system needs to go to the shop). Or, you can install to USB drive, leaving the Windows system undisturbed. Or, install to VirtualBox.
Hi pbear. I tried the windows side approach article. It didn't show any grub or Ubuntu OS, I've been suspicious that Windows 10 feature update and Windows 10 upgrade which recommended the removal of older windows 10 versions, I hoped it wouldn't take out ubuntu since it was on a different partition, but it only showed Win10 OS.
I took steps to stop the above updates a year ago which was working fine, till a month ago, but microsoft must have found a workaround, it downloaded and installed them, I was left with no option to back-out.
I believe the Linus system has been wiped clean, but would like more proof since I had a lot of work saved.
Never really understood the workings of the virtual box, USB a little bothersome going to BIOS to boot each time.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Andow

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

It's unlikely Windows update removed Mint. As in, I've never heard of such a thing. Kick out the bootloader, yet, but not remove the OS and files. At a minimum, you should be able to access those by booting a live session (the same thing you used to install originally).

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 pm

pbear wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm
It's unlikely Windows update removed Mint. As in, I've never heard of such a thing. Kick out the bootloader, yet, but not remove the OS and files. At a minimum, you should be able to access those by booting a live session (the same thing you used to install originally).
Hello pbear. You've got me on booting a live session, its been years since I installed the OS, can you provide a hint?.
All the best Andow

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Sun May 12, 2019 11:49 pm

See the Installation Guide.

By the way, reviewing the thread, boot repair might also be worth trying. Understand, I don't use dual boot, in part because of the dueling updates problem, so I've never actually used boot repair and can't assist.

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm

pbear wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:49 pm

By the way, reviewing the thread, boot repair might also be worth trying. Understand, I don't use dual boot, in part because of the dueling updates problem, so I've never actually used boot repair and can't assist.
Will do pbear. Ill checkout your recommendations they looks promising. I will post my results when I've worked through them.
Once again thanks very much for your assistance. Andow

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dual boot, no grub Solved

Post by Andow » Wed May 15, 2019 9:54 pm

Andow wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm
pbear wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Will do pbear. Ill checkout your recommendations they looks promising. I will post my results when I've worked through them.
Once again thanks very much for your assistance. Andow
Hi pbear
I read through your boot repair link, it seamed a bit drawn out so I took a another at look at UEFI dependence and changed to legacy, rebooted and got grub back, it loaded Mint entered disk password then to users account password screen, entered password, it rejected it (I had it written in my notes correctly) and any other word I could think of, I think the account is encrypted also, so now I have another problem. Does it ever end.
Thank you so much again for your help with the grub issue. Andow.

Return to “Installation & Boot”