Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Installing A New Copy Of Mint Cinnamon

Post by MrGrimm » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am

bear with me cause this can take a bit to explain. a little over a week ago another member here and i decided to attempt to update the plasma desktop i installed on mint cinnamon 19.1 from 5.12 to 5.14 and it seemed stable and solid buy within a couple of hours it went sideways removing all kde items including the plasma desktop. what i want to do is shrink my current mint partition, copy it to the free space, delete everything in the copy, use the live media to install a new copy to the duplicate partition, slowly build it up to where the original was, and once done delete the old partition and give the entire drive to the new install. what i need is instructions and suggestions for doing the above, and also on how to find files i know aren't being used so i can remove them. currently i'm using 51% of the drive for my current install and i know this can be reduced to somewhere between 38 and 41%. i'm sure the issue is the mesa or nvidia drivers keeping all the old files when new ones are added / updated. so in a nutshell.

1. removing all dead / unnecessary files
2. shrinking and copying the current partition
3. updating grub

thanks

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing A New Copy Of Mint Cinnamon

Post by catweazel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:09 am

MrGrimm wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:08 am
bear with me
Don't say that. The last person who said that was my wife... giving birth to twins.
MrGrimmth wrote:cause this can take a bit to explain. a little over a week ago another member here and i decided to attempt to update the plasma desktop i installed on mint cinnamon 19.1 from 5.12 to 5.14 and it seemed stable and solid buy within a couple of hours it went sideways removing all kde items including the plasma desktop. what i want to do is shrink my current mint partition, copy it to the free space, delete everything in the copy, use the live media to install a new copy to the duplicate partition, slowly build it up to where the original was, and once done delete the old partition and give the entire drive to the new install. what i need is instructions and suggestions for doing the above, and also on how to find files i know aren't being used so i can remove them. currently i'm using 51% of the drive for my current install and i know this can be reduced to somewhere between 38 and 41%. i'm sure the issue is the mesa or nvidia drivers keeping all the old files when new ones are added / updated. so in a nutshell.

1. removing all dead / unnecessary files
2. shrinking and copying the current partition
3. updating grub

thanks
Why even bother going through that rigmarole just to get a KDE desktop? Take a look at KDE neon. The only thing you'll lose are the Linux Mint specific tools but alternatives are very easy to find now that the internet has what's called search engines :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 am

i have looked at kde neon and no thanks. i like the cinnamon base. now lets please stay on topic.

hcentaur13
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hcentaur13 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Insert Mint 19.1 live media
start up install
sselect "others"
select the partition / is on and mount it. Let it format!
You may mount the partition that was mounted to /home again to mount mount it to the new system.
You may mount the partiton that holds /swap too.
That will install the most current mint (in some short days Mint 19.2 will be released!

After the system is up and running you may select "drivers" in menu to get ready for the properitary graphics driver.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:43 pm

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

MrGrimm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrGrimm » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm

that part i already know. what i would of needed is correcting grub once i deleted the old copy of mint. that said i decided to just wipe and start from scratch..

Return to “Installation & Boot”