Changing video resolution manually (Resolved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Changing video resolution manually

Post by GELvdH »

This is the main reason that Linux is not a more popular desktop environment, having to write scripts to accomplish many things. I remember having to write scripts for MS-Dos and CPM, what a pain.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Still don't understand why you do not have 1368x768 as a display resolution option, since that is a standard 16x9 resolution which has been available for years. Must be the way the monitor is setup or how it reported the available resolution or how the display driver report available resolution. I remembered years ago when monitors were either 4x3 or 16x10 and 16x9 monitors first came out, i have to update the graphic card drivers to get 16x9 support.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

I think doing it from a script every time at startup is unnecessary step. Once you execute the cvt and xrandr commands in terminal to create required resolution though, you need to go to Displays and select it. At least, that's how it worked for me in one of the older versions of Kubuntu.

Cheers.
GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GELvdH »

I understand about the monitor settings athi, when I run Windows it shows the 1368 resolution. As far as going into settings after I run the script in terminal, yes I have gone into settings and selected the 1368 mode and applied but it will not retain it after shutdown. It is weird that the 1368 resolution does not show up under Linux but does under Windows with the same monitor.

Return to “Installation & Boot”