Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pstrbrc
Level 1
Level 1

updated 19 XFCE, now won't recognise password [SOLVED]

Post by pstrbrc »

Ran an update on my old Dell GX620 w/Mint 19 XFCE. Not a new install, has been Mint 19 since shortly after it came out, has run Mint successfully for ~4 years. Don't remember the details of the update, but nothing struck me as weird.
Now, a splash screen comes up with a password prompt. I had it set up to boot w/o password, so this was different. And it didn't recognise my password. So, I reset the user password using both of the methods here:
https://mintguide.org/system/248-reset- ... -mint.html
The respose to my input in bash seemed to indicate that I had successfully reset the root/user password, but it still doesn't recognise the new password when I reboot. I'M GETTING A LITTLE TENSE HERE.
I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking something obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out what, and I have a book to finish, and it's on that computer. Help!!

edit: btw, I did try to reboot with an earlier kernel, both -48 and -47. No difference.
Last edited by pstrbrc on Sat May 18, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Re: updated 19 XFCE, now won't recognise password

Post by pbear »

Try this procedure, described by Pjotr on his website. Not only do I trust him more than a random blogger, the site you link is somewhat out of date (the root user no longer has a password at installation, though you can add one later if you like).

As for your book, assuming the system isn't encrypted, you should be able to get at that (and all your data files) from a live session.
pstrbrc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pstrbrc »

OK, did it. No help. Here's something I've noticed.
Splash screen comes up, I enter password. Screen goes blank, then the Mint logo, then the splash screen again.
However...
If I type an incorrect password, the splash screen comes back up with a message that the password was invalid. If I type in the correct password, the splash screen comes back up without the message that the password was invalid. That it, it seems to be recognising the password, but it's stuck in a loop. When I back it up to kernel 4.15.0-48, it's still the same. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the kernel update.
gdemeester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gdemeester »

I'm having exactly the same issue except I'm using Cinnamon
Was setup with no password prompt on boot, but after latest update using the update manager... the splash screen asks for the password.
If I type correct password, screen blacks then reappears with splash and has password prompt.
If I type bad password, it shows error message.
One other thing I noticed... I have the system connect to both a monitor and my TV.
I had the configuration set that it only used the monitor, and had no issues since I installed 19 Cinnamon.
After the update, the monitor and TV are active... so some video settings were changed during the update.
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

pstrbrc wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm
That it, it seems to be recognising the password, but it's stuck in a loop. When I back it up to kernel 4.15.0-48, it's still the same. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the kernel update.
Sounds like permissions on that pesky .Xauthority file:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/223501/ ... login-loop

More info: search this forum or the insectnet for "login loop"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pstrbrc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pstrbrc »

Sheesh! Late last night I decided to go nuclear. Loaded a fresh install of 19.1 on a thumb drive, did a Live Boot, backed up all of my files on a 1TB ssd, and did a clean install. Now, after all the hassles getting Wine right, and the two Windoze programs I need for my work functioning, I DID AN UPDATE. Stoopid, eh what? Went to the post office, and when I came back the machine was asleep and the screen was locked. Same d%%% password loop. But this time I could reboot, and it would boot up no password, like I set it up. Whew! And I went into power settings, and told it not to lock the screen when putting the computer to sleep. Heck of a work-around. I don't know what I'd do if my workspace wasn't in my home. Reading around, I'd guess that this old machine's architecture is so old there's something in the way of conflict with the video card and the new family of kernels, and the initial video settings are set at the kernel level, not during the Xserver boot.
(see here and here)
It keeps the old machine running!
Thanks everyone for helping me troubleshoot this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”