GRUB Loader

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: GRUB Loader

Post by Husse »

You can't
That is you can install grub to the partition on which you have Linux and not the MBR and the use the Windows bootloader to start grub
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - if I understand you right :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

SquidLord wrote:I couldn't get the MBR linking to grub to stay, so I gave up on that, and moved onto my desktop. The only issue I have is my graphics card compatibility and how unsure I am of it; it's a 9800GX2 and I know nothing about how much it likes Linux
I couldn't get the MBR linking to grub to stay
OK..

The only issue I have is my graphics card compatibility and how unsure I am of it; it's a 9800GX2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880787
run nvidia-settings after the card is correctly installed
--you need to use gksudo nvidia-settings on the desktop or in the terminal sudo nvidia-settings to allow nvidia to fix-up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, top enable nvidia to load the desktop with the correct resolutions and settings..

nvidia driver/module install + nvidia-settings application..
Probably should reboot after installing the driver making sure that it reinitializes the xserver, and loads the nvidia module you installed via apt or..
mint menu>control center>hardware>hardware drivers
--the system should both detect and recommend an nvidia driver selection, you can always check that suggestion on the nvidia web site and see that you agree ..

In a terminal
glxinfo, will give you the loaded video system
  • glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    server glx version string: 1.4
--example of an installed nviodia card..
dmesg, will show you if the nvidia device is detected and added correctly to the system
glxgears, will give you a frame rate..

Return to “Installation & Boot”