Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
robin93
Level 1
Level 1

Moving Linux Mint to a new SSD

Post by robin93 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:40 pm

I currently dual boot Mint 19.1 and Windows from the same SSD.
I want to change this boot device to a new SSD, which is smaller, but faster. I do not need windows anymore ;) , and my Mint partition fits on the new SSD.
How can I copy the Linux installation to the new SSD, while leaving Windows behind?
Thank you.

EDIT/SOLUTION:
If your Linux Mint Partition fits on than the new SSD, you can simply copy the Linux Mint AND the System EFI Partition to it (ie using gparted). For more information, just read the replys below.
Last edited by robin93 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Moving Linux Mint to a new SSD

Post by jglen490 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Before you do anything, make sure you backup any files and data that is important to you.

From there, you can either do a fresh install of Mint to the new SSD and then restore your data and files from the backup. Or you can try something like Clonezilla to clone the Linux part onto the new SSD. I'm not a Clonezilla expert, so I don't know how to copy only a part of your current installation. Thus, it's very important to backup your important files and data before you do anything.

If it was me, I'd backup my data and files, and then do a clean install to the new SSD.

Which is exactly what I did last weekend when I kicked one of my spinner drives out, installed a new SSD, and then did a clean install with restore on my Kubuntu desktop PC.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Backup is critical, do that first.

If t'were me. I'd be blowing Windwoes away, and starting from scratch with just Linux.

Are you leaving the current drive in place? Do you still want to dual boot?

From your initial question, I'd suggest a fresh start with a new installation of Linux to the new drive, I'd unplug the old one first, so as not to confuse the installation. Once done, you can then plug the old drive back in and use GParted or Disks to re-partition and re-format that drive.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 pm

robin93 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:40 pm
..... a new SSD, which is smaller, but faster.....
From memory (maybe corrupt :D ) I think Clonezilla will only work to an equal sized, or larger disk, not to a smaller one - so I think that option is off the table.

Depends how much personalisation you have put into your current version of Mint.
If a great deal then it is worth creating a Timeshift snapshot of your system & something like Backintime of your data, installing a new Mint 19.x on the new SSD & then 'add back in' the Timeshift & personal data.
If you have not changed it much then just copy your data & add back in ..
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 am

It is possible to have Clonezillia restore to a smaller than original drive. It is done by basically telling it not to check the drive sizes. However in this case I agree that a new installation with Timeshift is likely to work better. On a dual boot system the OP's data was likely stored outside of the Linux operating system.

Bill

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 pm

In the end, you will do one of two things.

1) You will need to make adjustments to the cloned version of your Linux only target, more than likely the partitions.

2) You will end up doing a clean install because all you want is a good, properly installed, properly sized Linux on the new SSD.

Just my guess ...
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

phd21
Level 18
Level 18

Post by phd21 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi robin93,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

+1 for backing up first which everyone should be doing anyway.

+1 for reinstalling Linux Mint onto the SSDrive which should only take around 16 minutes or less. You can also make an Aptik backup of the current Linux Mint to an external USB drive or large enough USB stick. Then install Aptik on the fresh Linux Mint and restore the Aptik backup.

Need more specific information like how big is the drive you currently use and their partition sizes and how big is the SSDrive? You can use the "Disks" application for information or the commands below

Code: Select all

lsblk -a

lsblk -f
and or

sudo fdisk -l
If the Linux Mint partition is less than the size of the SSDrive then you can easily clone it using a bootable CD/DVD or USB stick "Clonezilla Live" or Linux Mint install disc or USB stick with "Disks" or copy and paste with "gparted" (or gparted live), but you will need to install a boot loader (mbr or gpt), see link below.

After cloning or copying the Linux Mint partition to the new SSDrive, you need to install a bootloader which you can do using a bootable Linux Mint disc or USB stick or "boot-repair-disk" (great utility to have).

In the console terminal command below the "sdb" should be the correct designation for the SSDrive

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
As has been stated, if the current Linux Mint partition is the same size or larger than the SSDrive, but its contents are less than the size of the SSDrive, then you could still use Clonezilla Live to clone it using special options.

GParted -- GParted Manual - see creating a new partition table (mbr or gpt)
https://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fn ... ition-type

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:31 pm

On the other hand, doing a clean install gives you the opportunity to do things like a Minimal Install and to thus reconsider some software and eliminate unwanted "mistakes" :wink:

robin93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robin93 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Thank you all so much for all the replys!
Some Clarifications:
1. Mint Partition (64GB) fits nicely on the new SSD (256GB)
2. I will wipe the original SSD clean after everything was copied in order to use it elsewhere. Windows will die...
3. I don't want to reinstall everything

Partitions look like this:
sda1 60GB mint
sda2 500MB windows recovery
sda3 100MB EFI system partition
sda4 26MB Microsoft reverved Partition
sda5 431GB MAIN WINDOWS PARTITION
sda6 800MB nameless, ntfs
+ some unallocated

If I understand correctly, the problem with only cloning Mint (sda1) to the new drive is that there is no bootloader for it. But what if I copied every Partition except sda5? Then there is still the bootloader, and the windows stuff, but I save 431GB. Nobody will know if I never select Windows Boot Manager in Grub...

Surly I would waste 1.5 GB on the new SSD, but that's a trade I'm welcome to make if it safes me installing a bootloader.

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:32 pm

robin93 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm
If I understand correctly, the problem with only cloning Mint (sda1) to the new drive is that there is no bootloader for it. But what if I copied every Partition except sda5?
The boot loader is in sda3, that's the only other partition you need. If you clone the partitions such that the partition UUID/PARTUUIDs remain the same you probably won't need to adjust anything afterwards (other than disconnect the original SSD before you boot - having partitions with the same UUID on each drive will not work correctly).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

robin93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by robin93 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm

"If you clone the partitions such that the partition UUID/PARTUUIDs remain the same"

Would this be the case if I used gparted?

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:40 pm

robin93 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:37 pm
"If you clone the partitions such that the partition UUID/PARTUUIDs remain the same"

Would this be the case if I used gparted?
If you do nothing but copy it, then yes (i.e. do not right click > New UUID ;)).
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:27 pm

I used macrium reflect to clone a 320G HDD to 240G SSD. All I did beforehand was shrink the last partition on the HDD so that total size of the partitions on the HDD < size of the SSD.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Installation & Boot”