Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
electroken
Level 1
Level 1

cant boot live cd inspiron660s

Post by electroken »

I have tried various ways to try to get the linux live mint 19.1 disk to boot up on the Dell Inspiron 660s desktop computer. It is an i3 so i know it is new enough and I am trying to boot up with a 64bit live disk. The first one I tried was from a magazine and it failed to boot at all, so I went on line and downloaded the iso and used K3b to burn it to a disk.

I have tried to disable secure boot. I have tried to use legacy settings. No difference. I go into bios and select the dvd to be first boot device and I use the F10 ( I think it is that one) to select what to boot first and nothing works; it simply boots into windows 10.

I have done other installs on laptops and other desktops and I am frustrated by this one.

Does anyone know if there is some problem using a hard drive with win 10 on it or is the bios in the Dell locked to windows etc?

I guess I just need some guidance and I did first try to find any other post about this first.

BTW I have had issues in the past trying to use a password which was simpler and forced to not do that. I find it difficult to copy the password I am now given and use it to log in from anyplace other than my main computer where it is stored.

Any help will be appreciated.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: cant boot live cd inspiron660s

Post by Moem »

Have you switched off 'fast boot' or 'fast startup' in Windows? If you haven't, Windows is not shutting all the way down.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”