[SOLVED] Partitions to create at install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
2hams
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Partitions to create at install

Post by 2hams »

I have recently purchased a Lenovo Legion Y535 with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SDD and 1TB HDD. I plan to install Linux Mint, as a dual boot. Does the following partition strategy make sense, assuming it can be established during install:

/ 40G
swap 8G
/home rest of SDD
/home2 all of HDD

Then to make use of some of the HDD space, later create a mount point from /home/usr/XXX/YYY to /home2/usr/XXX/YYY

As a single user home system, /var and tmp probably do not need to be mount points.

I don't want to waste the higher speed SDD, nor to not use the HDD at all. It will probably hold pictures, any development, etc. I have not used Linux (or Unix variants) much for the past 10 years. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
athi

Re: Partitions to create at install

Post by athi »

If PC have UEFI bios, you will need to create EFI partition at the beginning of the hdd. With Gparted, create ~256MB FAT32 partition, after partition is created change flag to boot/ESP for EFI and boot data. Otherwise, setup looks OK.
philotux

Post by philotux »

athi wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:24 pm If PC have UEFI bios, you will need to create EFI partition at the beginning of the hdd. With Gparted, create ~256MB FAT32 partition, after partition is created change flag to boot/ESP for EFI and boot data.
2hams wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:03 pm I have recently purchased a Lenovo Legion Y535 with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SDD and 1TB HDD. I plan to install Linux Mint, as a dual boot.

Does it come with Win 10 pre-installed? If positive then there should be an EFI partition already present on the disk.
athi

Post by athi »

Yes, Win10 would have installed an EFI partition and Mint would use the same partition. You can look at the partition layout of the hdd by using Disks or GParted after you booted with live USB. Attached is the partition layout of my laptop dual boot setup showing Win10 partitions and 1 ext4 partition for Mint installation using GParted. I used the single ext4 partition installation since data will be stored on separate hdd to minimize write operation to the O/S ssd.
840g2 gparted.png
2hams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2hams »

Thanks. You also taught me how to install GParted. Now researching some other issues... sure will solve them..

I would post a picture, but just learning, that means uploading the image... ended up with
/dev/nvme0n1p5 / 40G
/dev/nvme0n1p6 swap 16G
/dev/nvme0n1p7 /home 212G
/dev/sda3 /home2 805G

Once I figure out how to get the correct drivers installed this system should be a screamer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”