Have GRUB2 repaired after Win10 install, how to select OS?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
77slevin

Have GRUB2 repaired after Win10 install, how to select OS?

Post by 77slevin »

Hi,

I'll start with explaining my situation and what I did: I have an Intel NUC7 that I just upgraded with a 1TB NVMe SSD and am running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. Because I have more than enough disk space I wanted to add Windows 10 to the mix because I need Windows to flash my Gigabyte eGPU and sadly going completely without Windows is still a pipe dream when dealing with hardware.

In the past, the easiest way to create a dual boot system was: Install Windows, resize SSD and install Linux, which detects Windows and let's you select at boot. Because I already have a fully configured Linux system to my liking, reinstalling Linux is not on the menu. So I installed Windows 10 after Linux, repaired my GRUB2 from a Live Mint USB with Boot-Repair and can again boot to my Linux OS. What seems to be missing is the option to select between Win and Linux at startup even though my Windows 10 install is still intact. I've made me a GRUB2 USB stick, I downloaded an ISO for GRUB rescue, which lets me choose between the 2 OS's. I need to boot from the stick every time so this is not a decent long term solution.

How do I tell Linux Mint Windows 10 is also on the SSD and offer me a selection menu at boot time?

Additional info: I have both UEFI and Legacy enabled in Bios, secure boot is disabled.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Have GRUB2 repaired after Win10 install, how to select OS?

Post by deepakdeshp »

As you power on, hold the shift key, do you get option to boot win?
Or boot Mint run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
77slevin

Re: Have GRUB2 repaired after Win10 install, how to select OS?

Post by 77slevin »

Tried booting with shift down: nothing, goes straight to login
Ran sudo update-grub and rebooted: still straight to login.

I ran sudo efibootmgr this came back:

Code: Select all

BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0009,000A,0000,0002
Boot0000* ubuntu
Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0009* Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB : PART 0 : Boot Drive
Boot000A* SATA : PORT 0 : WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 : PART 0 : Boot Drive

Return to “Installation & Boot”