[Solved] Kernel 4.15.0-55 installed but cannot be activated

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] Kernel 4.15.0-55 installed but cannot be activated

Post by mediclaser »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:29 pm I believe you may have misunderstood something for I have seen no such statement in the thread (and I just checked again), or maybe you were thinking of a different thread. Anyway, doesn't really matter, you'll figure it out. ;)
Here:
p.H wrote:I hadn't tried recently, so I booted the Debian 9.3 multiarch netinst ISOhybrid image from a USB drive and tried again, full of hope.
But still no joy : the only choice is to either not use the existing swap partition or use it as swap and format it (the default). I cannot find any option to use the partition as swap without formatting it. So I did not proceed further.
Did I miss something ? I really wish you were right !
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: No, you didn't miss anything at all, I am talking out of my ass on this one (again).

You are right, I've just tried in QEMU and formatting the swap is the only option, thanks for correcting my nonsense.
You may have to try it out yourself, if you don't believe me and these guys. ;)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Why, they are not contradicting anything I said, they're just talking about the installer, and I agree with them that the choice to make there is not to use swap, I've said that all along. You only add swap after you rebooted into your installed system.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 pm Why, they are not contradicting anything I said, they're just talking about the installer, and I agree with them that the choice to make there is not to use swap, I've said that all along. You only add swap after you rebooted into your installed system.
I think you misunderstood...Debian will find the existing swap partition and format it even when you did not select a swap partition.

The only way to prevent Debian from messing with the existing swap partition is to create an additional swap partition. Now, that is not the workaround I would accept, because (in my case) I would waste a lot of disk space having 3 Debian distros in my multi-boot machine.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

mediclaser wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:41 pm I think you misunderstood...Debian will find the existing swap partition and format it even when you did not select a swap partition.
Oh wow, I did indeed not understand that and if that's really the case that sounds like a massive bug.

Return to “Installation & Boot”