Error: failure reading sector 0x0 from hd0. Error: you need to load the kernel first

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
catlady13
Level 1
Level 1

Error: failure reading sector 0x0 from hd0. Error: you need to load the kernel first

Post by catlady13 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi, I am very green with Linux. I have built my own pcs and know a reasonable amount about fixing windows and Mac stuff.
I am trying to install Linux Mint from a bootable USB stick onto an Hp envy rove 20. AIO.
The hard drive on this pc has been wiped. My friend purchased it with no OS planning on installing Linux.

It is the 64 bit cinnamon version.
I get to the Grub screen. I click on start to install. I get these two errors.

Error: failure reading sector 0x0 from hd0

Error: you need to load the kernel first.

I have no idea how to proceed from here or what the problem is. I can’t seem to find these exact errors anywhere. Thank you for any help.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Error: failure reading sector 0x0 from hd0. Error: you need to load the kernel first

Post by deck_luck » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Have you tried selecting the integrity check from to grub menu? Do you have another computer to try booting the USB stick? If not do you have another USB stick you can use to create the bootable Installer.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

catlady13
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Error: failure reading sector 0x0 from hd0. Error: you need to load the kernel first

Post by catlady13 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm

I rebooted it over and over and finallyon about the 15th reboot voila. I have Linux mint. Now however I can only get 1 USB port to work. The odd thing is it is not always the same USB port. Should I open a new post for this problem ?
Thank you so much for your advice.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:46 am

I guess you were able to install Linux Mint?

You may have an attached USB device malfunctioning. It is very strange that you would have to boot fifteen times to get the Linux Mint installer to boot. What other USB devices are connected to your computer (SD card reader, keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, etc)?
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

Return to “Installation & Boot”