Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
boojum
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Problem with W10 and Linux Mint 19.2

Post by boojum » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

I have W10 on my C drive. I installed Linux Mint on my D drive. Then I set up EasyBCD with W10 as the default and Mint as the selectable and went to bed.

In the morning when I roused the machine from its hibernating state I got the Grub menu. I can boot to Mint just fine. When I boot to W10 I am taken to the EasyBCD choices with NeosmartLinux as choice number one and Linux Mint as choice number two. In either chooice the machine just hangs with a blinking cursor in the upper left screen corner. When I choose Linux Mint in the Grub screen I go to Linux Mint.

I can see C drive is there with its requisite folders as far as I can tell. I sure wish I could load W10 as there is a lot of stuff there I use.

Can anyone help?

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Boot Problem with W10 and Linux Mint 19.2

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:23 am

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Hello boojum

I've been a user of EasyBCD for some years, but I don't claim much expertise in the way it works! It just does.

And another disclaimer: I use it mostly with Win7 and the legacy/BIOS boot setup; I have one laptop dual-booting with Win10 and Mint, using EasyBCD, but in legacy mode, not UEFI (and that needed some tweaking of the Win10 setup). So YMMV.

All that said, I'm a little puzzled as to how you appear to get straight to the (Mint) Grub menu. Not sure whether restarting from hibernation is different from powering up your machine from a completely 'off' state. The normal sequence on boot-up is that you get the Windows MBR first, which has been retained and modified by EasyBCD so that its menu offers either a direct boot into Windows or an entry which takes you onward to Grub, from which you can boot into Mint or (if you so choose) back into Windows.

I have no experience of the Ubuntu Boot-Repair tool recommended by deepakdeshp. But from your description the Grub (however you get to it!) seems to be working. Does it also offer Win10 as one of its options?

It seems from your post that the problem is with the Windows MBR boot arrangements. If - by one route or another - you can boot into Win10, you might want to open EasyBCD and try its own built-in boot repair facility. This self-evidently repairs the booting mechanism (the MBR) which EasyBCD uses and will have modified.

I can't give any assurance that such action will deliver a solution. But I did once have a problem with the MBR/Grub setup on a laptop, and the EasyBCD repair option sorted it.

mzee1934
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mzee1934 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am

Download 'Refind' from https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html
Refind installs from Mint, & places a new loader alongside Grub & Microsoft.
Remember to check in BIOS that Refind is 1st boot.
Refind will only work with EFI loaders.
Refind is automatic and detects any kernels, or other loaders. You can hide the entries that you don't require.

boojum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boojum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:34 am

No, I cannot boot to W10. But, Friday I will visit a friend who has W10 and will get a repair disc off his system. Then I can try running it to save my bacon. I am hopeful. And grateful that Linux runs as well as it does.

Return to “Installation & Boot”