[SOLVED] Kernel Upgrade Fails every single time

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tsmvp

[SOLVED] Kernel Upgrade Fails every single time

Post by tsmvp »

Gents,

Never had an issue like this. I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 that I installed 19.1 and later upgraded to 19.2. Every time there was an update for something, it always worked fine.
Now, when I try to upgrade the package 'linux-meta=4.15.0.58.60' it fails and when the machine reboots, I have no WiFi/Network (tried a wired one over Thunderbolt) and the graphics driver is no longer the one in use (I believe is the mesa one).
The error I can see is this:

Unpacking linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic (4.15.0-58.64) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-AkGjEu/2-linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic_4.15.0-58.64_amd64.deb (--unpack):
unable to create new file '/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic.list-new': Operation not permitted

I can also see this window popping up:
E:/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-okBufG/2-linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic_4.15.0-58.64_amd64.deb:unable to open '/lib/modules/4.15.0-58-generic/kernel/drivers/media/dvb-frontends/cx24110.ko.dpkg-new':Operation not permitted'

Looking at this dvd-frontends, the only thing that rings a bell is the fact I added a driver for a WinTV USB ATSC tuner so I can watch ATSC (over the air TV) channels using VLC. I do remember having to run some commands that would 'grab' the Windows driver and 'compile' a Linux driver somehow.

Are these related? If so, how to fix this?

Thanks!

CR
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Kernel Upgrade Fails every single time

Post by gm10 »

We typically see this from users of Sophos Anti-virus malware.

Otherwise check your root partition's free space.
Last edited by gm10 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Easy way to update kernels is
update manager --view--kernels.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 pm We typically see this from users of Sophos Anti-virus malware.

Otherwise check your root partition's free space.
You nailed it. That was the issue. Stopped the service and no issues! Thanks a lot!

CR

Return to “Installation & Boot”