[SOLVED] Grub rescue problem (no such device+unknown file system)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Grub rescue problem (no such device+unknown file system)

Post by Manny_F » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:14 pm

All done. I really appreciate the extra time you took for this guide, given the base problem has been solved.

Nice introduction to the Terminal too, which is the bit that intimidates me the most about Linux. But yeah, it flows naturally when getting it done, as opposed to reading it.

I initially goofed up when I added literally "UUID=copy-from-blkid" in the fstab :roll: , but lucky I was able to realize my mistake and correct it with the proper UUIDs.
Important: These are your actual files, not copies. Treat with the same care you would if you were editing, deleting, etc. in Windows.
Got it. Even when using Linux, there's no deleting System32 it seems :lol:

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] Grub rescue problem (no such device+unknown file system)

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Manny_F wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:14 pm
All done. I really appreciate the extra time you took for this guide, given the base problem has been solved.
Excellent. You're welcome. Wasn't as much work as might appear, as I already had detailed notes. All I had to do was a few tweaks to fit your situation. And, yeah, there's nothing like doing something for understanding how it works.

By the way, something just occurred to me. I had you link the whole Windows partition into /home. That will work, but requires several clicks to get to data files. As mentioned, been a while since I ran Win7, so I don't recall the exact file structure, but you could have a symlink pointing directly to your User folder in Windows. In File Manager, go to /mnt/Windows. Click through to the folder you want to use. Right-click for Properties. Use that to fashion a new symlink, using the same syntax as before. Notably, you can have both symlinks at the same time, one pointing to the partition and the other to the User folder. Or you can just leave as it is right now. It'll work fine, just more clicks.

Anyhoo, on to the next hurdle, then over that one also! Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”