[SOLVED] Grub rescue problem (no such device+unknown file system)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Grub rescue problem (no such device+unknown file system)

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:31 pm

athi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm
pbear, this is the first time I have seen a Win7/Linux dual boot installation on a GPT drive. Win7 can be installed on GPT by installing additional drivers during Win7 installation (I have done a Win7 install on a GPT 3TB HDD) and some how Win7 can boot without Windows boot manager installed in the MBR. With legacy installation, Mint bootloader would install on the MBR also but where would a legacy mode Mint boot loader be installed on a GPT drive? And how would the legacy BIOS find the Mint boot loader? Is there a 3rd party boot loader that will work in this situation?
Thinking it over, your first sentence is the most likely explanation for Manny's problem, though I still can't figure out why. All that goes in the MBR is a pointer to the boot images in /boot, which generally will be on the root partition.

As for how to install a legacy boot loader on a GPT drive, the workaround is a BIOS boot partition. This tutorial by austin.texas illustrates how to do one. Definitely works. I've done it many times for full install to USB drive. What I haven't done is try to mix MBR and GPT on the same system.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manny_F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

athi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm
Manny_F, did you setup Win7 yourself or was this an OEM/3rd party install?
I bought the computer second hand from a guy who had purchased all the individual components and mounted them himself, mostly for gaming purposes. I assume he also installed Win7. It came with the /sda/ partition only. That was seven years ago. Some time later I installed the /sdb/ partition myself.
pbear wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:57 am
#1: No point to trying Ubuntu, as it's actually the Ubuntu installer you're using here. What might be worth trying is LMDE (Mint's non-Ubuntu version). Or any non-Ubuntu derivative you've considered trying, e.g., MX Linux.
I will give it a try when I get back from work tomorrow.
Last edited by Manny_F on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

[pedantic hat] For clarity, in Linux lingo, sda and sdb are devices. sda1 and sdb3 are partitions. It's a picayune distinction, but mixing up the labels often leads to confusion. By contrast, in Windows, sometimes a "drive" is a device, but usually it's a partition. [/pedantic hat]

Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manny_F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:54 pm

pbear wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm
[pedantic hat] For clarity, in Linux lingo, sda and sdb are devices. sda1 and sdb3 are partitions. It's a picayune distinction, but mixing up the labels often leads to confusion. By contrast, in Windows, sometimes a "drive" is a device, but usually it's a partition. [/pedantic hat]
Point taken. There's nothing pedantic in correcting the wrong use of key terms.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Had an idea. Do you recall what the reserved Windows partition at sdb1 is for and/or how it got there?

If we could get rid of that, it would be pretty easy to test Spearmint2's sugggestion. You would create the BIOS boot partition mentioned above (I'll explain how), install to the other partitions as before, then change BIOS to boot first from sdb. One advantage of this approach is that we'll stop overwriting (and having to repair) the sda bootloader. Still might not work. Another possible explanation for the problem is that Grub is unable to reach so deep on the device to run the boot image, which might require moving the Windows data partition to solve.

Your decision, but it's what I would try next. No worries if you've already given this as much time as you can afford at the moment. Revive the thread when you're ready. I'm subscribed, so I'll get a forum notice.

Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manny_F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm

pbear wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm
Had an idea. Do you recall what the reserved Windows partition at sdb1 is for and/or how it got there?
Honestly? I have no idea. As I said, sdb was mounted on the computer after Win 7 was installed.

A conjecture: Is it possible, maybe, that a System Reserve Partition is there due to Windows Backup? Back ups were set up to be stored in sdb (of course, I'm not implying the backup itself is the reserved partition, given its size, but maybe something else necessary to execute the restore?).

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Reasonable guess. Are you still using the Windows backup utility? One thing you might try is taking a look with Disk Management. Don't recall whether that's on right-click of Start in Win7. In any event, can access in Control Panel by doing a search (notably, it isn't in any of the regular categories, so only can be reached by search). Maybe it will be more enlightening. Anyhoo, just a shot in the dark, but worth checking I think.

By the way, is this a desktop? Is installing a third drive an option? Can be pretty small/cheap.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 am

With legacy installation, Mint bootloader would install on the MBR also but where would a legacy mode Mint boot loader be installed on a GPT drive? And how would the legacy BIOS find the Mint boot loader? Is there a 3rd party boot loader that will work in this situation?
It would install in the same place, changing the "protective MBR" on a GPT drive setup. The problem comes later when warnings about there being a corrupted GPT come up while using various commands and programs, such as fdisk, parted, gparted, maybe disks, etc. Because there would then be the legacy MBR replacing the "protective" MBR, which isn't very "protective" and I've said in past should be renamed, since the current term is misleading. What happens is the legacy system assumes the drive is same as always, and then proceeds to crap up the GUID Partition Table setup on it. However with GPT there's a recovery section right at the end of the drive, and if someone runs gdisk and other utilities, they will ask if you want to "fix" the GPT, and there goes the legacy stuff, not able to boot again, since the "protective MBR" gets installed. I had a GPT drive I took from a computer, but I wanted to use legacy all the way on the computer it went to, and the only way at the time I could ensure to be rid of such problems was running dd command on the first megabytes of the drive, and the last megabytes of the drive, to wipe all the GPT stuff from it. I remember at the time the GParted would give libparted errors and refuse more when it discovered GPT, or something similar, been a few years back now to remember. There were a lot of changes at the time with 4K Advanced Format Drives, EFI and UEFI, GUID Partition Tables, Secure Boot on windows computers, and many trying to get it all figured out.

Here's a tutorial that user gold finger made at the time, seen in "end notes" giving credit to those who helped him, including Rod Smith who created the gdisk command still used today, which is user srs5694.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126&start=40#p1004373

You may find it an interesting read. Well, went more verbose than intended at first...
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:44 am

Twigster, your problem is sufficiently different from the OP that it would be good to create another thread dedicated to it.
I can see your problem is a bit complex too, and will probably need a different solution from the OP.

Returning to the OP problem
pbear wrote:Been thinking about that. Problem I see is that sdb is GPT with a Windows reserved partition parked at the front. So, the usual procedure of putting in a small BIOS boot partition at the head of the drive isn't available. Do you see a way around that obstacle?
tl;dr: no, didnt think about it
I was thinking of a Legacy/BIOS install on a GPT drive, as you have pointed out, with the tutorial by austin.texas.
But I didnt think it could be a problem if the BIOS boot (a.k.a. bios_grub) partition is located towards the end of the drive. Is it really the case ? I have no experience here.
I would have though that grub would be able to see all partitions on the drive because it understands the GPT partition table.

If the end of the drive is a problem, a possibility is to move a bit the windows partition to make space for the bios_grub partition and a /boot partition (this contains the grub modules, so I think it will also need to be at the start of the drive). About 300-500MB would be necessary.
For the microsoft reserved partition, I have vague memories that it's not used in daily life, but windows sometimes puts stuff there during upgrades. In general, there is a high chance that windows will mess up the set up during system upgrades.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:56 am

To the OP. You must remember how MBR works. It can have ONLY 4 partitions. One can be an Extended section. GPT is entirely different. In MBR, once you are past 4 partitions, nothing else is accessed, nor seen. GPT doesn't create/use an Extended partition. Two different partitioning systems. That's about the simplest way I can put it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:16 am
With legacy installation, Mint bootloader would install on the MBR also but where would a legacy mode Mint boot loader be installed on a GPT drive? And how would the legacy BIOS find the Mint boot loader? Is there a 3rd party boot loader that will work in this situation?
It would install in the same place, changing the "protective MBR" on a GPT drive setup. The problem comes later when warnings about there being a corrupted GPT come up while using various commands and programs, such as fdisk, parted, gparted, maybe disks, etc. Because there would then be the legacy MBR replacing the "protective" MBR, which isn't very "protective" and I've said in past should be renamed, since the current term is misleading. What happens is the legacy system assumes the drive is same as always, and then proceeds to crap up the GUID Partition Table setup on it. However with GPT there's a recovery section right at the end of the drive, and if someone runs gdisk and other utilities, they will ask if you want to "fix" the GPT, and there goes the legacy stuff, not able to boot again, since the "protective MBR" gets installed. I had a GPT drive I took from a computer, but I wanted to use legacy all the way on the computer it went to, and the only way at the time I could ensure to be rid of such problems was running dd command on the first megabytes of the drive, and the last megabytes of the drive, to wipe all the GPT stuff from it. I remember at the time the GParted would give libparted errors and refuse more when it discovered GPT, or something similar, been a few years back now to remember. There were a lot of changes at the time with 4K Advanced Format Drives, EFI and UEFI, GUID Partition Tables, Secure Boot on windows computers, and many trying to get it all figured out.

Here's a tutorial that user gold finger made at the time, seen in "end notes" giving credit to those who helped him, including Rod Smith who created the gdisk command still used today, which is user srs5694.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126&start=40#p1004373

You may find it an interesting read. Well, went more verbose than intended at first...
Thank you for the link, indeed an interesting read and answered some questions I had about UEFI installation.

What I noticed about OP Win7 installation is use of GPT, use of protective MBR and lack of EFI partition. From what I found currently on Win7 GPT installation, they specified use of EFI/UEFI with Win7 GPT installation and creating EFI partition. Back when I did the Win7 GPT installation on the BIOS only machine, I had to install "Windows GPT drivers" at the beginning of installation with no mention of EFI. OP installation seems to be the same situation. Thankfully, I was Win7 only back then and did not try a dual boot otherwise would have had the same issues.

Spearmint2, would a legacy BIOS Mint installation on a different drive works in this case? This should avoid the legacy BIOS/UEFI GRUB problem and not overwrite the protective MBR on the Win7 drive. OP does have a 2 drive installation.

Manny_F, never got your machine spec. Please boot into Mint live USB and run below command in Terminal to output system information.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:14 am

Mod note:
the question by Twigster is now here. A new question always deserves a new thread. Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:52 am

Manny, the better I understand the problem the more I think you would be better off trying a different tack. As I see it, there are three options:

1. Clear sdb and start fresh. Given its size, it will have to stay GPT. Happily, there is a way to install to GPT on a BIOS system but I don't think there is a clear and safe path with the current partition scheme. Note this will entail putting the bootloader on sdb, so that will have to be the first drive in BIOS boot order (easily done). sda will keep its Windows bootloader, so it'll still be there if you later decide to unwind the Mint installation. After installing Mint, you would of course restore the Z: partition to sdb, just placing it after Mint rather than before.

2. As suggested above, install a third HDD/SSD and put Mint there. As mentioned, this can be small because you can use either sda or sdb for data.

3. Full install to USB drive. As discussed, not as good on performance but okay IMHO. On the plus side, a lot easier and no unwind issues. FYI,
my tutorial on the subject. Note you would be using the relatively easy BIOS procedure.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

From what I found currently on Win7 GPT installation, they specified use of EFI/UEFI with Win7 GPT installation and creating EFI partition. Back when I did the Win7 GPT installation on the BIOS only machine, I had to install "Windows GPT drivers" at the beginning of installation with no mention of EFI.
That's exactly correct. There's a wiki about GUID, which shows what must be done for each windows OS, both 32 and 64 bit versions, in order to use a GPT drive. What you did was proper for a drive that was only MBR and on a standard (now Legacy) BIOS.
Spearmint2, would a legacy BIOS Mint installation on a different drive works in this case? This should avoid the legacy BIOS/UEFI GRUB problem and not overwrite the protective MBR on the Win7 drive. OP does have a 2 drive installation.
Yes.

Keep in mind that GPT (globally unique identifier) uses UUID assigned to partitions on drives (universally unique identifier) and is related with UEFI, but not exactly the same thing. GPT deals with how drives are partitioned with the newer method, and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is for "firmware" aka the newer type BIOS installed into the CMOS chip on motherboards.

Linux however since kernel 2.6.## is supposed to be able to use current distros on GPT drives if the 64 bit versions are used. Possibly with 32 bit versions too, haven't checked that one out. I think one drawback in Linux may be if it doesn't see an existing EFI partition on the drive, maybe it considers it not necessary to create one and install the efi boot manager system in it. Not sure on that one. The question for me then is; What does Linux do when installing from a 64 bit EFI capable system, but doesn't see existing EFI partition? Mostly all the work done seemed aimed at fitting into dual boot with windows systems,but what happens when windows EFI may seem to be missing? I"ve not researched that one.

For Manny:
Reading back over it, I think one problem involved ONLY the sdb drive. The second problem of not booting windows was possibly a result of you forgetting to change the BIOS back to using that as the boot drive, since the windows installation on it shouldn't have been directly affected by the install of Linux. All concentration on solving the problem should be only toward that drive. Which is basically agreeing with what pbear just posted. My approach would be unplug data cable to /dev/sda drive, then install 64 bit version mint to /dev/sdb drive. Reboot to it, then run update-grub, where it will see and add the windows drive into GRUB bootloader too.

UPDATE:

Hopefully someone has an easy answer on that. Maybe this is it. I did install a 64 bit on a flashdrive, with persistence, and no previous EFI partiton, and just looked at it now,and I do see an "linux only" EFI partition, so I'm thinking that is the answer to my question. It created a 250 MB approximately partition, to put about 7 MB of data into, LOL.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Here is how linux mint 19.1 64 bit version installed itself to my USB flashdrive. I don't have UEFI bios on motherboard, and don't have any GPT drives in my computer either. I've not needed either since my largest drive is 1TB.

Model: Samsung Flash Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 64.2GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 3      2097kB  258MB   256MB   primary   fat32        boot
 4      258MB   2308MB  2050MB  primary
 2      2308MB  64.2GB  61.9GB  extended               lba
 5      2309MB  64.2GB  61.9GB  logical   ext2
 1      64.2GB  64.2GB  1049kB  primary
from blkid command of that USB flashdrive

/dev/sdc3: LABEL="usbboot" UUID="5527-494A" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="6faeab36-03"
/dev/sdc4: UUID="2018-12-17-14-55-44-00" LABEL="Linux Mint 19.1 MATE 64-bit" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="7012e9a0" PTTYPE="dos" PARTUUID="6faeab36-04"
/dev/sdc5: LABEL="casper-rw" UUID="32e3f316-c3c7-4d75-abc4-e7f184b9d550" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="6faeab36-05"
/dev/sdc1: PARTUUID="6faeab36-01"

Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manny_F » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 am

Alright, dumb questions time:
pbear wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:52 am
Manny, the better I understand the problem the more I think you would be better off trying a different tack. As I see it, there are three options:
1. Clear sdb and start fresh. Given its size, it will have to stay GPT. Happily, there is a way to install to GPT on a BIOS system but I don't think there is a clear and safe path with the current partition scheme. Note this will entail putting the bootloader on sdb, so that will have to be the first drive in BIOS boot order (easily done). sda will keep its Windows bootloader, so it'll still be there if you later decide to unwind the Mint installation. After installing Mint, you would of course restore the Z: partition to sdb, just placing it after Mint rather than before.
I'm sorry, I'm having difficulties understanding. You say "Clear sdb" as in, "format the whole device" (not possible at the moment because I lack any other storage device to transfer my files to), "delete the partitions where Linux is installed" or "delete the Win 7 system reserved partition"?

As long as it doesn't entail the first scenario, I'm ready and willing to carry out the deed.
2. As suggested above, install a third HDD/SSD and put Mint there. As mentioned, this can be small because you can use either sda or sdb for data.
Sadly, I'm dirt poor. Otherwise I would gladly go down this path.
3. Full install to USB drive
I'll keep this as a reserve solution if everything else fails.
Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm
My approach would be unplug data cable to /dev/sda drive, then install 64 bit version mint to /dev/sdb drive. Reboot to it, then run update-grub, where it will see and add the windows drive into GRUB bootloader too.
So, if I understand, this would basically avoid getting the Win 7 drive involved (and potentially screwed) with the whole installation process of Linux, integrating them later. Does this involves the steps mentioned above by pbear ("clear SDB and start fresh") or is its own thing? Also, wouldn't be the same (your post implies that, obviously, it isn't the same, but I would like to know why) to just install Linux bootloader directly on /sdb/ and then move /sdb/ up on the boot order?

Just a little off-track comment: I did try changing the boot order (not the bootloader install location) at one point before coming to the forums, and, strangely, if sdb was placed first it seemed to recognize that there was an OS installed in the device, but it always got stuck perpetually at the "Loading Operating System" message, as opposed to sending me into GRUB rescue mode.

Sorry if the answer to this questions feels obvious to you, but I want to have a quite clear picture of what I'm about to do.

Anyway, tomorrow I begin a 48-hour long work shift and I won't be capable of attempting anything until Sunday night/Monday morning, so don't think I've quit Linux just yet if I don't report back before then.

Manny_F
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Manny_F » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:24 am

athi wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am
Manny_F, never got your machine spec. Please boot into Mint live USB and run below command in Terminal to output system information.

inxi -Fxz
Sure, here it is:

System:
  Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.22.0 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-770T-USB3 serial: <filter> 
  BIOS: Award v: F3 date: 05/14/2010 
CPU:
  Topology: Triple Core model: AMD Athlon II X3 445 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: K10 rev: 3 L2 cache: 1536 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 18704 
  Speed: 2400 MHz min/max: 800/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2400 2: 800 
  3: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] vendor: eVga.com. driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVC3 v: 4.3 Mesa 19.0.2 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF106 High Definition Audio vendor: eVga.com. 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: ce00 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Argument "64-bit" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/bin/inxi line 11407.
Use of uninitialized value within @row in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/inxi line 11447.
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 3.65 TiB used: 2.06 GiB (0.1%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 
  size: 931.51 GiB temp: 30 C 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD3003FZEX-00Z4SA0 
  size: 2.73 TiB temp: 40 C 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Sony model: Storage Media size: 7.55 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 2.91 GiB used: 116.6 MiB (3.9%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 33.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 52 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nouveau fan: 1500 
Info:
  Processes: 170 Uptime: 2m Memory: 5.82 GiB used: 755.5 MiB (12.7%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.32 

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 am

If you unplug the data cable to the windows containing drive (sda) then nothing can happen to it. pbear changed his advice from using sda as the bootloader to putting on sdb, as I also feel is best. If you do that, NOTHING changes on the windows sda drive.

You have files on the sdb drive you don't want to lose. Those are in the 500 GB ext partition aren't they, partition 5? I would guess the linux system is installed on 22 GB partition 3. Sadly, as pbear pointed out, there's no mount point on it, and I believe that's the entire reason it hangs when you try to boot into Linux. You have no drive to backup partition 5 with it's data. The question then is how to get a / mount set to partition 3 (sdb3). I would boot the LIVE Mint flashdrive, then using GParted see if you can place a mount point on partition 3. If not, then I'd do a new format on ONLY sda3 partition and when given the chance, add the / mount point to it. You can then install Linux Mint 64 bit to that partition 3, but do not allow it to reformat again during the install, just to be safe. It shouldn't even touch the partition 5 anyway. That's the safest way I can think of doing this short of you backup partition 5. Do NOT change it from GPT type partitioning system when using GParted.

There's one thing when I looked back over this entire thread I realized we didn't know, and that's how much of your data on partition 5 takes up, surely not the entire 500 GB of room for it.

df -a |grep /dev/sdb5
post result.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:39 am

Manny_F wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 am
You say "Clear sdb" as in, "format the whole device" (not possible at the moment because I lack any other storage device to transfer my files to)
Yes, I meant format the whole device. I was assuming what's in Z: are backups of sda, so they could be deleted then replicated after installing Mint. If Z: has unique files, that obviously won't work. I will point out having no backups of those files is a bad idea.

Alternatively, you could try deleting sdb1, replacing it with a BIOS boot partition (see austin.texas tutorial linked above) and installing to sdb. Not confident it will work, but maybe worth a shot.

By the way, I'll mention the elephant in the room. Your Win7 sunsets in a few months. There's only so much sense to laboring over saving it.

Anyhoo, duty calls. Deal with reality. Come back to this when you can.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Reviewing the thread, it occurs to me we've never discussed installing to sda, which would be the usual dual boot strategy. Probably the simplest solution. Be aware you can mount the Windows partition in Mint, automatically or manually, so only need enough room for the system and configuration files (which go in /home). If you can spare 60 GB on sda, that will be plenty (and you could get by with less). Notably, per your earlier system reports, you only have one partition on sda right now, so putting in another primary partition for Mint would be trivial (no extended partitions needed).

Food for thought.

Return to “Installation & Boot”