Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Unable to Login / Return to Login Screen

Post by xenopeek » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:12 am

As per my understanding you were able from the Live session to access your encrypted disk, but not the files in your home directory as you had used home directory encryption on top of disk encryption? In that case, do the same: boot from the Linux Mint installation media, access your encrypted disk (sda3) so you can see the files on that except for the files in your home directory there (as they are still encrypted with eCryptfs), and then open a terminal and run:
sudo ecryptfs-recover-private

That will search your mounted disks for encrypted directories and offer to temporarily mount them under /tmp, with your login password provided by you on the terminal. See the guide on https://www.howtogeek.com/116297/how-to ... on-ubuntu/. Once you have it mounted under /tmp you can go there in your file manager and should be able to move/copy/delete files. If you can't delete files, click the option in your file manager to open the directory as administrator (usually right-click on empty spot in the directory will give you that option in the context menu).

gregory_opera
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to Login / Return to Login Screen

Post by gregory_opera » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:07 am

Hi @xenopeek ,

It came back with:

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ sudo ecryptfs-recover-private
INFO: Searching for encrypted private directories (this might take a while)...
find: ‘/run/user/999/gvfs’: Permission denied
What if I was to boot into my "normal" system, drop to Terminal (via Ctrl + Alt + F3), login (which works), then manually start Cinnamon (not too sure what the command would be though...) - theoretically, would that work long enough to let me copy the folder to removable storage and then delete it?

Annnd that would be a resounding “Nope” (Cinnamon does not even appear, and I am immediately returned to the Terminal login).

It definitely *appears* to be a storage issue though - there’s too much to punch into my cell phone, but there were error messages about there not being enough storage space...

I know how to move up / down directories within Terminal, but how do I list the directories by size (I can’t seem to find the folder I suspect is causing the issue) and / or delete a particular directory via Terminal?

So in the end, I dropped to Terminal on the login screen (Ctrl + Alt + F3); navigated to the directory of the suspect folder and then deleted said folder; rebooted my computer and everything seems to be working fine now... Obviously I've lost some data (thankfully nothing too valuable!), but the data I actually care about is safe and things are back to normal.

Note to self - probably pay attention to the size of a directory before copying it to local storage!
--

"All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them."

Walt Disney. °o°

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: <SOLVED> Unable to Login / Return to Login Screen

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:40 am

Thank you xenopeek. I remember hitting similar problem in Mint 14 years back, and I decided then to use TrueCrypt (now VeraCrypt) or encrypted zip files for sensitive data, rather than encrypt my entire system or home again.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

gregory_opera
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> Unable to Login / Return to Login Screen

Post by gregory_opera » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for your help guys, it was much appreciated.
--

"All our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them."

Walt Disney. °o°

Return to “Installation & Boot”