Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MIRKOSOFT
Level 1
Level 1

How to boot into DOS from Grub?

Post by MIRKOSOFT » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi!

I'm not any Linux expert and please try to explain me all what is possible.

I had on my old notebook MS-DOS 7.10.
I installed Linux Mint based Commodore OS Vision 1.3.
It uses by default Grub bootloader.
First I tried to avoid rewriting MBR I selected boot installation to 1st Linux partition by help of members on this forum.
When it finished, I tried to boot from universal Grub floppy and selected correct partition on correct disk (notebook has replaced DVD drive by harddisk, so there are two. But result was message that no OS found.
I know that it is easier to separate boot records by using different disk and device selection - but I have in plan to sell that notebook and use notebook with single disk.

So, I reinstalled Linux and leave boot by default.
At power-on it displays options:
1. Linux Mint
2. DOS
When I choose Linux all is ok.
When I choose DOS it looks in moment that it will boot, but then notebook reboots and displays the same menu.
The same behavior it does with OSX.
Please don't crucify me for using OSX on non-Apple hardware, it is for my personal use only and even it is OSX 10.4 Tiger - reason: I'm retrocomputing fan.

Where do I mistake?

Thank you for your help and understanding the OSX.
Miro

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to boot into DOS from Grub?

Post by athi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Maybe GRUB is not seeing DOS or OSX correclty. Please run below commands in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and see if you can boot into DOS and OSX after ward.

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:37 am

For OSX, I'm pretty sure it's normal that grub cannot launch it directly. You generally need a special bootloader for hackintosh, like Clover. So you need to tell grub to launch that bootloader (which will then load OSX). I think you will need to ask the hackintoshing community how to do that.

MIRKOSOFT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MIRKOSOFT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm member of Hackintosh community 'cause without is maybe no possible to get anything work.
Really are my Apple favorite computers Apple IIGS (Kegs), 68k MacSE (real) and PPC Mac (QEMU).
I'm using OSX 10.4 for UniBin availability - in later OSX it was removed.

So, first I try to make DOS work and then I try OSX. I'll report.
Miro

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Just remembered that OSX on Intel processor with EFI capability will install in EFI mode (with EFI partition) and GRUB installed in legacy BIOS mode will not see EFI/UEFI boot loader.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Return to “Installation & Boot”