Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cannot boot after installing Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by wannabelinuxguy »

Okay, please be more clear.
Are you telling me my Linux Mint install is corrupted? I verfied that the USB was an exact copy...

And I don't understand why I would install 32bit Mint on a computer that was made for 64bit Windows...? Not doubting you, just asking for the explanation...

So, what is the bottom line?
What do I have to do to fix all this? And why did it go wrong , being that I followed the Mint installation procedure - with the possible exception being that when it told me I needed that an EFI partition.. I made one...

I want to do this right, so if I have to delete the Mint install and do it over, fine.
As long as I can get my Windows 7 back - because I have a lot of stuff on there... nothing crucial - the crucial stuff is backed up - but stuff I would prefer not to lose... Plus I hate 10 and want to keep 7 a while longer - thus the Dual Boot I was trying to set up.

Mint is working but it does seem buggy so am wondering if I do have a problem... So if someone can point me to how to delete Mint and get Windows back as it was before all this, I'll be happy (well, not happy, but willing...) to start over.

By the way, I also got this: (I went to this because I got an error message stating I was low on space in some partition or folder or something... Don't see how I could be low on space, I installed Mint on 80 gigs partition and made the other partitions as recommended at : itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/
Is that page's guide wrong re recommended size of partitions?
Screenshot from 2019-09-15 00-15-17.png
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:33 pm
I did install a 64 bit Mint on a flashdrive a few days ago just to see what it would do, and yes, even though I had standard msdos partitioning system with MBR on the flashdrive, it STILL put in an EFI partition, completely unneeded in that situation. It thankfully didn't convert the flashdrive to a GPT (GUID Partitioning Table) method.
I'm guessing it's a UEFI machine, though. I've done dozens of installations to USB drive in BIOS (64 bit) and never gotten an EFI partition. And dozens more in VkirtualBox (which by default uses BIOS) and also never gotten an EFI partition.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Okay, please be more clear.
Are you telling me my Linux Mint install is corrupted? I verfied that the USB was an exact copy...
Everything I keep seeing about sdb drive keeps saying two partitions are overlapping each other and that's not good.
And I don't understand why I would install 32bit Mint on a computer that was made for 64bit Windows...? Not doubting you, just asking for the explanation...
My computer can run 64 bit and I'm quite happy with Mint 32 bit version 18.3 on it. Reason is because I've been upgrading it since version 14 and haven't felt moved enough to change it to 64 bit and redo all my programs and settings, because 32 bit is no big sweat.
So, what is the bottom line?
What do I have to do to fix all this? And why did it go wrong , being that I followed the Mint installation procedure - with the possible exception being that when it told me I needed that an EFI partition.. I made one...
Probably because your mint install is outside the allowed 4 active partitions in an MBR setup.
Mint is working but it does seem buggy so am wondering if I do have a problem... So if someone can point me to how to delete Mint and get Windows back as it was before all this, I'll be happy (well, not happy, but willing...) to start over.
I already did that.
I also got this: (I went to this because I got an error message stating I was low on space in some partition or folder or something...
"/etc/cups/ssl permission denied" means that program wasn't allowed to open the secure sockets layer folder used in "cups" the printing system. You can read all about it when you have time here, right on your system. http://localhost:631/
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:43 am

I want to do this right, so if I have to delete the Mint install and do it over, fine.
As long as I can get my Windows 7 back - because I have a lot of stuff on there... nothing crucial - the crucial stuff is backed up - but stuff I would prefer not to lose... Plus I hate 10 and want to keep 7 a while longer - thus the Dual Boot I was trying to set up.
You can delete the Mint installation, then repair the Windows bootloader with a System Repair Disk. See lifehacker. You never answered whether update-grub got you Windows on the Grub menu (it should have). If so and you don't already have a System Repair Disk, boot Windows and create one now. It's an option under Control Panel > Backups. OTOH, if you're game for reinstalling Mint, no point repairing the Windows bootloader yet. Keep that in reserve.

As for reinstalling Mint, I'd suggest you use a much simpler partition scheme. The It's FOSS tutorial you used is somewhat obsolete. In particular, there's no longer a need for swap partition in Mint 19.x. So, delete sda4 with GParted, leave the space unallocated and run the installer again choosing "Install alongside." I dislike to give you conflicting advice, as this becomes a "too many cooks" problem, but am doing so here because I think that's both the simplest and most reliable solution. If it doesn't work, you can always try something more elaborate. BTW, needing to update Grub to get Windows listed is common, so expect to have to do that again.

One loose end which puzzles me is why you were prompted for an EFI partition. How did you burn the installation medium? And is it a DVD or USB drive? I'd recommend Rufus, a portable which runs in Windows. Or, if your present Mint installation permits, use the USB Image Writer under Accessories.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I'm guessing it's a UEFI machine, though.
He's never given the make of the laptop as I can find.

Code: Select all

inxi -v2
He's also never run the gdisk command so we can see if the drive has some residual GPT stuff at the end of it. One thing is certain, the sda drive is now set as MBR standard, not "protective".
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

I would like to make a point before you go about a re-install.
& I am sorry if I am complicating what appears to be (to me) a very complicated thread.

My point..

To me it appears that you have installed root (/) on sda5.
That appears to have a size of 15250MB - from your screen print.
screen 1.png
screen 1.png (151.96 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
The used space on that partition has now grown to 13.9 GB with 6.3 GB of that down to Timeshift.
screen 2.png
My tip is NEVER EVER save timeshift snapshots to root - even if that is the wacky default option.
Get rid of those snapshots (& don't save any more until you have space somewhere else), give yourself some space
& then re-examine what issues you have..

If you DO re-install then still take note of what you are doing with Timeshift!!
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:13 am
I meant your machine. As for the OP, he (or she) reported earlier, "The HP model is HP Pavilion m6-1045dx Entertainment Notebook PC Product. It was bought with W7 before W8 or 10 existed, so only ever had W7 on it." I'm sure you know Win7 machines had UEFI but set (unswitchably) to legacy mode. If that's the source of the problem (in his case or yours), it would be a bug. But, yeah, bugs happen.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

pbear wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:18 am
Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:13 am
I meant your machine. As for the OP, reported earlier, "The HP model is HP Pavilion m6-1045dx Entertainment Notebook PC Product. It was bought with W7 before W8 or 10 existed, so only ever had W7 on it."
I probably saw it earlier and forgot about the model, sorry I said he'd not done that. It did have a 64 bit W7 originally on it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03366982

The driver support on this page indicates UEFI support available. So, why a W7 installed on msdos MBR type drive?

https://us.driverscollection.com/?H=Pav ... 7%2064-bit

Remember, he wants to keep the W7 that is now on the drive.

Mine? It's10 years old and maybe a couple more. Here, for future reference;

inxi -v2
System:    Host: mint16 Kernel: 4.4.0-146-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.18.0
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-MA78GPM-UD2H v: x.x Bios: Award v: F7 date: 10/08/2009
CPU:       Single core AMD Sempron 140 (-UP-) speed: 2700 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD RS780 (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-146-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8168
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1314.4GB (4.1% used) ID-1: model: ST9250410AS
           ID-2: model: WDC_WD10EZEX ID-3: model: Flash_Drive
Info:      Processes: 200 Uptime: 7 days Memory: 1508.7/3528.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Obviously yours is a BIOS machine (I didn't imagine you wouldn't know), so my guess was wrong. I still think it's a bug in your BIOS. Not only is my experience very different, but thousands (supposedly millions) have been installing 64 bit Mint on BIOS machines for years without incident.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

. I'm off to bed,2am here. I took out the stuff about flashdrive msdos getting EFI partition, since I realized I have two and one done on a UEFI laptop, which might be the one I have plugged in now, instead of the other one. Sorry for any confusion.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:49 pm
Pierre wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:42 pm
that copy of win-7 is most likely an 64 bit version,
& the any Installed version of LinuxMint - - really should also be an 64 bit version, too.

- - you can install LinuxMint 64bit in ms-dos style partitioning, and thus avoid any EFI / boot partition issues.

we do need to see an better screen_grab of the current HDDs layout, to see if it is in GPT / DOS mode.
Worth a try.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

wannabelinuxguy, it's up to you to decide which approach to try next. The one I suggest is the ordinary one. The one Spearmint2 suggests may be better suited to your situation (that EFI prompt is unusual in a BIOS installation). Let us know your druthers and we'll try to see you through. Either way, I repeat my advice that you should use a simple root-only Mint partition. Later, when you have a better understanding of Linux (and probably more disk space to devote to Mint), you can think about doing a separate home and/or data partition. I did root-only on my first Mint system. It works fine.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Did some testing with booting Mint 19.2 64bits live USB in compatibility mode, on UEFI with CSM machine it does boot into non-EFI mode and on UEFI only machine it boot into EFI mode, as expected.

OP could try booting into compatibility mode with Mint 64bits live USB and run ls /sys/firmware to check if he is in EFI mode.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

it would now seem that the:
- win-7 is installed in dos-mode
- LinuxMint is installed in efi-mode

and if wannabelinuxguy can type sudo update-grub into a Terminal,
( type the word terminal into the search area that is at the Top of the Menu area )
( then type that sudo update-grub into Terminal )
then that may find the missing win-7, but I'm doubtful, that it will do that.

if that doesn't work - - as in find the missing win-7 . ..

then the Newly Installed LinuxMint may have to Deleted :!: and re-installed, again,
& after the partition(s) 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 are also deleted .. and even SDa4 as well.
then just one partition is created in the now vacant partition, that was SDa4 ( logical partition )
- - the LinuxMint installer is Now Pointed to that Single & Vacant Partition ..

anyone have an better :idea: than that :?:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

That would work if Mint live session boot in legacy mode, seems Mint installer in EFI mode insist on creating EFI partition. Spearmint2 is suggesting use of Mint 32bits Mint to assure Mint boot in legacy mode. Booting Mint 64bits in Compatibility mode may also boot in legacy mode with UEFI with CSM firmware.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy »

Someone who knows about Linux typed something above like "This thread seems very complicated..."
So you can imagine how complicated and confusing it seems to me,a newbie!
I appreciate the help but it is very difficult to navigate all this. So please bear with me in my newbie-confused questions:

So let me see if I can sort some of this out.

(Please bear in mind I am looking for the simplest, easiest solution, whether it means starting over or not. 1) I need to be able to boot into W7 again; 2) I need to install a working copy of Mint as part of a dual boot. )

Am I correct in that the following are true?

1) my Linux install is corrupted and/or has too many partitions because I followed a procedure that is not up to date or something. Was my creating a EFI partition something I should not have done even though the Linux installer said I needed it? Should I have created it bigger? Not created it at all? What? I need to know the answer to this for next time (I presume!)...

2) so when I re-install LInux where can I find a good guide to follow, one that is simple and easy for me to follow yet accurate?

3) Apparently we don't know why I was told my Linux Mint install _ though successful_ would not work without an EFI partition, which I then created a 2mb one. This is the problem? I would ask "What is an EFI Partition" exactly but I'm not sure I'd understand the answer. The main thing is:

Do I or don't I need the EFI partition next time I install? How can I find out for sure? My rhetorical question would be why did the Linux Mint installer tell me I needed one if I don't??. But I guess it doesn't matter now. I just need to do whatever it takes to fix all this.

4) Am I correct that the easiest way to do all this would be to
A) get windows to boot
B) Delete all the Linux partitions and combine them back into one unformatted partition
C) Install Linux again using a 32 bit version of Mint?
This is my main question to you guys:
Since I know my Linux Mint USB was verified and accurately downloaded, what went wrong and how do I avoid this next time?
Do I need to do it from a Live USB or is there an easier way, like from within Windows?
Do I or don't I have to create an EFI partition and if so how big?
Why did I end up with overlapping partitions? I don't even understand how that could happen.

FYI : I did download my Linux Mint from the official source and did verify the download to make sure it was accurate. Also Linux Mint's main page said if I had a 64bit computer to download the 64bit version.
But you guys are saying I should download the 32 bit version next time, even on my 64bit computer?? Seems counter-intuitive but ...? Or do only some of you say it and others not? I don't see why I would not want to install a 64 bit version on a 64 bit computer? Is there something about the 64bit version that's buggy? Or?

I did open Linux Mint without the USB using Windows Compatibility mode. What does "Windows Compatibility Mode" mean, in this context? It means that it works on a Windows machine or what? That's how I was finally able to boot my Mint (but NOT my Windows).

I have more questions but first I'm going to just try this Grub repair thing mentioned and try to do a Windows boot repair.

One thing about Linux I am finding out is that you guys speak a whole different language and as a newbie it's very difficult to understand what you are talking about half the time. This is why I put off trying Linux for so long, I had a feeling it would be overwhelming, and it kinda is.
Nevertheless I am forging on due to my utter Hatred for Windows 10, and W7 not working well any more.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Doing a lot of reading from various sources including this forum and seeing lots of problems with computers booting multi O/Ss. Now the introduction of UEFI has added to an issue already boiling over with variables waiting to conspire and create a catastrophe.
Think I’ll sidestep the quicksand and stick with 1 dedicated O/S per computer.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 pm
Someone who knows about Linux typed something above like "This thread seems very complicated..."
So you can imagine how complicated and confusing it seems to me,a newbie!
I appreciate the help but it is very difficult to navigate all this. So please bear with me in my newbie-confused questions:

So let me see if I can sort some of this out.

(Please bear in mind I am looking for the simplest, easiest solution, whether it means starting over or not. 1) I need to be able to boot into W7 again; 2) I need to install a working copy of Mint as part of a dual boot. )

Am I correct in that the following are true?

1) my Linux install is corrupted and/or has too many partitions because I followed a procedure that is not up to date or something. Was my creating a EFI partition something I should not have done even though the Linux installer said I needed it? Should I have created it bigger? Not created it at all? What? I need to know the answer to this for next time (I presume!)...

2) so when I re-install LInux where can I find a good guide to follow, one that is simple and easy for me to follow yet accurate?

3) Apparently we don't know why I was told my Linux Mint install _ though successful_ would not work without an EFI partition, which I then created a 2mb one. This is the problem? I would ask "What is an EFI Partition" exactly but I'm not sure I'd understand the answer. The main thing is:

Do I or don't I need the EFI partition next time I install? How can I find out for sure? My rhetorical question would be why did the Linux Mint installer tell me I needed one if I don't??. But I guess it doesn't matter now. I just need to do whatever it takes to fix all this.

4) Am I correct that the easiest way to do all this would be to
A) get windows to boot
B) Delete all the Linux partitions and combine them back into one unformatted partition
C) Install Linux again using a 32 bit version of Mint?
This is my main question to you guys:
Since I know my Linux Mint USB was verified and accurately downloaded, what went wrong and how do I avoid this next time?
Do I need to do it from a Live USB or is there an easier way, like from within Windows?
Do I or don't I have to create an EFI partition and if so how big?
Why did I end up with overlapping partitions? I don't even understand how that could happen.

FYI : I did download my Linux Mint from the official source and did verify the download to make sure it was accurate. Also Linux Mint's main page said if I had a 64bit computer to download the 64bit version.
But you guys are saying I should download the 32 bit version next time, even on my 64bit computer?? Seems counter-intuitive but ...? Or do only some of you say it and others not? I don't see why I would not want to install a 64 bit version on a 64 bit computer? Is there something about the 64bit version that's buggy? Or?

I did open Linux Mint without the USB using Windows Compatibility mode. What does "Windows Compatibility Mode" mean, in this context? It means that it works on a Windows machine or what? That's how I was finally able to boot my Mint (but NOT my Windows).

I have more questions but first I'm going to just try this Grub repair thing mentioned and try to do a Windows boot repair.

One thing about Linux I am finding out is that you guys speak a whole different language and as a newbie it's very difficult to understand what you are talking about half the time. This is why I put off trying Linux for so long, I had a feeling it would be overwhelming, and it kinda is.
Nevertheless I am forging on due to my utter Hatred for Windows 10, and W7 not working well any more.
This is my read on your situation. Your Win7 installation is a standard installation in legacy BIOS mode on MBR partitioned drive. Your Mint installation should also be in legacy BIOS mode on MBR drive. Not sure what happened, but Mint installer created an EFI partition and installed Mint in UEFI mode which somehow also caused the machine not to boot either Win7 or Mint. The big question is how to install Mint in legacy BIOS mode and there are differences in opinion on how to accomplish this.

4a. Yes, first repair your Win7 installation so it boots. When repaired, Win7 boot manager will break Mint boot loader anyway.
4b. Yes, delete all Linux partitions and the extended partition that contains them. This will create the free space for a new Mint installation.
4c. Need to determine the best course to install Mint in legacy BIOS mode. One thing to eliminate is the possibility that the Mint 64bits live USB is corrupted. Please burn a new Mint 64bits live USB from the downloaded ISO file.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Hey wannabe, sorry it's complicated. Thing is, you have an unusual problem. Let's see whether we can push through it. But, let's break it down and do only a few steps at a time.

First, as you're not ready to attempt the reinstall yet, by all means fix the Windows bootloader using the lifehacker article I linked above. It's pretty simple. Boot System Repair Disk or installation disk. Choose "Repair Your Computer," go to "Troubleshoot," and select Command Prompt. Run bootrec.exe /fixmbr. Reboot. Let us know whether it works.

Second, boot the live USB you already have, the 64 bit one. Open Firefox and navigate to this thread. Open Terminal. Run the following two commands (use copy and paste) and report the output. The first confirms the boot status of the system (BIOS or UEFI).

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Currently in UEFI mode" || echo "Currently in Legacy mode"
The second gives us your basic system information.

inxi -Fxz
Third, I don't think we're ready to reburn the USB yet. Before doing that, please advise what tool you used the first time.

ETA: To give you a sense of where we're going. What I'm trying to do is figure out why you got that EFI warning. A BIOS system doesn't need an EFI partition, can't use one, and you shouldn't have been prompted for one. So, if the commands confirm you are booting in BIOS mode, I'm going to suggest burning the USB drive with a different utility, probably Rufus, to test whether that's the problem. (Unfortunately, unlike the ISO download, there's no way to verify the USB.) Then we'll try installation again. If THAT doesn't work, I'll probably suggest it's time to try Spearmint2's idea and install the 32 bit version. Again, though, that's road map. For right now, focus on the first three steps.
Last edited by pbear on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Trying to keep things simple.. :D

I would suggest that you do the 2 commands suggested above first as it is important to know what equipment you have & also how you installed Mint the first time around.

As for a guide (once you are ready to go & re-install Mint) then I do not think that you will find a better & clearer written one than this..
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

The
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
in its' entirety is well worth a first read for anyone new to Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”