Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mikeslr
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot install in a NON-UEFI computer

Post by mikeslr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 pm

I have a computer which came with Windows 7. It does not use the UEFI mechanism to boot. It arrived with 3 partitions, sda1 (boot), sda3 (recovery) and sda2 Operating System and Applications, etc. I resized Sda2 creating Unallocated space into which LinuxMint 19.2 was to be installed using "Custom Install". The installation went fine EXCEPT for Grub2's boot-loader which not only generated an error but (if sda1 is chosen as its location) over-writes the Windows 7 bootloader so that it malfunctioned.

I could not figure out any way to install LinuxMint 19.2 without installing its bootloader nor installing its bootloader without obtaining that error. Installation left me without a bootable operating system. See below for my work-around. I did not have this problem installing LinuxMint 19.1, nor upgrading it from 19.1 to 19.2 on a different (also non-UEFI) computer.

My work-around was to boot into Puppy LInux on a USB-Key and install grub4dos to sda (i.e., sda1 as grub4dos doesn't see partitions). Grub4dos can't manage UEFI computers. But on a computer such as mine, it can boot Windows and almost any Linux including LinuxMint. The work-around isn't ideal as grub4dos has other limitations. And, in any event, it should be possible to use LinuxMint's installation application to both install and use it on computers which do not use/come-with/include the UEFI boot mechanism.

What did I do wrong? or What should I have done? It would be helpful to know next time.

Thanks in advance.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dual boot install in a NON-UEFI computer

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:47 pm

you could have used the option to "install along side of windows"
& since you are still using win-7 & that would have given another install screen,
where you can use the mouse to adjust an slider bar, to set how much space to give to each system.
- - this option is not available in an UEFI based win-10 machine.

when you get to the End of the Installation, then Install the Grub Boot Loader to SDa only.
- - not to SDa1 ( or any other partition )
that was your mistake.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

mikeslr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeslr » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks, Pierre.

I had assumed (well, you know what they say about that :roll: ) that the "install along side of windows" option would somehow locate Linux Mint installation on the same partition as Windows; in my example sda2. Although now that I've put that thought into writing it seem pretty dumb :oops: as I know (or think I do) that at a minimum Linux Mint requires at least one partition to itself.

But having always created a partition for it in advance of installation, and NOT having used the "install along side of windows" option, let me make sure that I've got this right. If the "install along side of windows" option is chosen, sometime --probably at or near the beginning of the process-- a dialog and procedure will be initiated to resize the partition on which Windows is located to create a partition (or select from multiple already existing partitions) into which Linux Mint is to be installed? Please correct me if that's not the case.

Thanks, again

mikesLr

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm

You still need to have an adequate space ahead of time. It will use that space to install "along side"
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

mikeslr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeslr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:04 pm

blueocean wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm
You still need to have an adequate space ahead of time. It will use that space to install "along side"
Thanks, blueocean,

So, if now understand this the "install along side of windows" will NOT offer (and if chosen initiate) a procedure to resize partitions. That's just fine as I've read elsewhere that it's best to use Windows disk-management to resize a partition on which Windows is installed.

In my case the computer arrived with Windows installed and occupying three partitions: sda1 a small boot-partition, sda3 a recovery partition of about 10Gbs, and sda2 holding the OS and its applications and data files, about 1 Terabyte. What I should have done was resize sda2 to create an sda4 of "adequate space"; then install Linux Mint using the "install along side of windows" option choosing sda4, and during that installation selected sda as the location for the installation of grub2.

And just to be certain that my experience with the "Custom Install" option also would apply to the "install along side of windows" option, there is no reason to format the newly created and "unallocated" sda4 before installing Linux Mint since during the installation a check-box to format (any) partition will be offered.

Thanks, again, in advance.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeslr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Thanks, blueocean,

So, if now understand this the "install along side of windows" will NOT offer (and if chosen initiate) a procedure to resize partitions. That's just fine as I've read elsewhere that it's best to use Windows disk-management to resize a partition on which Windows is installed.

In my case the computer arrived with Windows installed and occupying three partitions: sda1 a small boot-partition, sda3 a recovery partition of about 10Gbs, and sda2 holding the OS and its applications and data files, about 1 Terabyte. What I should have done was resize sda2 to create an sda4 of "adequate space"; then install Linux Mint using the "install along side of windows" option choosing sda4, and during that installation selected sda as the location for the installation of grub2.

And just to be certain that my experience with the "Custom Install" option also would apply to the "install along side of windows" option, there is no reason to format the newly created and "unallocated" sda4 before installing Linux Mint since during the installation a check-box to format (any) partition will be offered.

Thanks, again, in advance.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:15 pm

If you create a blank space and fire up the installer and choose the install beside Windows option, it will all be automatic. You don't assign anything. Just let it do it's thing. I hope you have your data backed up in case it goes south.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Return to “Installation & Boot”