19.2 Cinnamon left mouse clicks die

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PeterBell

19.2 Cinnamon left mouse clicks die

Post by PeterBell »

Since re-installing for the upgrade to 19.2, one of my machines has been suffering a weird problem (it was okay on 19.1):
After booting up/logging in, the mouse works normally but after a short elapsed time (or after a few clicks?), further left-clicks don't register on window furniture (but do on iconbar icons).
If I switch console (Ctl-Alt-F6) and then back to the desktop full mouse functions are restored and never seem to die again. Similarly, a right-click seems to restore left-click functionality.

Logging off/logging on again doesn't appear to re-activate the problem.

This problem occurs with more than one mouse, but only on the one computer.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this problem and, even better, how to fix it?

Is there any information I can produce in order to isolate the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 19.2 Cinnamon left mouse clicks die

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is this a wireless mouse?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
PeterBell

Post by PeterBell »

Thanks for your response.
I've tried with a wireless mouse and a wired (USB) mouse. Both exhibit this problem. It's nothing to do with the wireless connection - I've been using this wireless mouse (Logitech) for years. It was fine with 19.1 and started to exhibit this problem after I upgraded (by re-installation) to 19.2.

I could try the wireless mouse on other computers - two of which are recent installations with 19.2 and another which was upgraded through Update Manager.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Seems maybe a kernel problem. You could go back to an earlier kernel when it worked, or try a newer one and hope it hasn't same "regression" in it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
PeterBell

Post by PeterBell »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:09 am Seems maybe a kernel problem. You could go back to an earlier kernel when it worked, or try a newer one and hope it hasn't same "regression" in it.
I have the same kernel (which has been upgraded a few times since installation) running on all machines, and the machine in question is the only one exhibiting this problem, even with the same mouse. So, if it is a kernel problem it must be to do with USB support.

I do not remember which kernel was in use when I last ran 19.1.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Check the BIOS settings, see if you have it set for AHCI. If you do, then try ACPI instead to let BIOS control it, but AHCI allows the system to control it, passed to it from BIOS. One or other should work, depends on the BIOS allowing AHCI or not, or clashing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”