Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Solved...UEFI and Legacy boot

Post by Toplap »

Hi, can anyone give me advice on the following. I have just bought a new Acer Aspire A715-72G and cannot install Linux Mint alongside the awful W10. I have followed many videos and instructions to change the Bios from uefi to legacy but cannot. Can I take out the hard drive and connect it externally to my old laptop and install mint alongside it that way? Would it then run and start up in my new laptop or would the bios still need changing to legacy? Or if I bought a new hard drive and installed mint on that would it then work, or would it still need to be changed to legacy? Thank you.
Last edited by Toplap on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: UEFI and Legacy boot

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

New Aspires have Win10 installed in UEFI, not BIOS. Please follow the instructions at the link Pjotr gave you.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Please prepare Win10 and firmware per Pjotr tutorials. If Win10 fast startup is active, Win10 could lock the partitions. There were previous post on Acer UEFI implementation, requiring importing of Mint EFI key into secure boot allowable key database. So don't panic if you cannot boot after Mint installation.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

mzee1934
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mzee1934 »

Just install Mint with UEFI Boot.
Your computer most likely has a GPT partition table.
Put your mint iso on a USB stick with Rufus, set it to GPT UEFI only.
Make sure that Fast boot is disabled in Windows, because it will lock the partitions.
Enable Legacy in BIOS
Disable secure boot in BIOS
Windows will probably place its loader as 1st boot, so check the boot order in the BIOS, GRUB should be 1st.
You can save a lot of hassle with multiple booting by installing 'Refind Loader' in Mint, it will automatically pick up all bootable OS on the computer.
Check that 'Refind' is 1st in the BIOS boot order.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

mzee, WIN10 always installs in UEFI mode on new machines. Why did you instruct them to change BIOS to Legacy.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Many new machines no longer have legacy BIOS only as an option and only have UEFI with CSM. Anyway, you should be installing Mint in UEFI mode with GPT drives.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Thank you for all the replies. I am busy for the next few days but will then look at the tutorials.
Just a note to mzee1934, appreciate your reply but bearing in mind that I am a newbie, are you telling me to install mint with uefi boot? I thought to do this I would need legacy in the bios so that I can change the boot order, to use a usb. You say enable legacy in the bios...how? That is what I have been trying to do. Sorry if I have missed something.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Toplap wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:07 pm
You say enable legacy in the bios...how?
Actually, he gave conflicting advice on that point. In any event, you very definitely don't want to do this. Win10 is installed in UEFI. Mint should be also.

Where did you get this notion you're supposed to use legacy mode in this situation? Some sources recommend it for single boot, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend it for dual boot with Win10 installed in UEFI. And if I did, I'd redline that source as someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. It's one thing for you not to understand - this is new to you - but would be cause for concern from someone holding himself out as an guide.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Thanks pbear. Just to answer your question I have installed Linux with windows on an old laptop and pc and do it with a usb. As you know to do this you change the boot order, which in legacy is straight forward. In my new laptop the bios does not give me any option to do this, so I am stuck. If you are telling me I can do this in uefi then great, but I am yet to find out how. Are there any concrete and easy enough instructions to follow?

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Toplap wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 pm
If you are telling me I can do this in uefi then great, but I am yet to find out how.
You misunderstand. I said it's necessary. I didn't say it's possible. :twisted: I certainly didn't say it's easy. From casual observation (I don't have one), Acer is one of the more difficult UEFIs to bring to heel. Here are some links, but I don't recall whether any of these fit your situation.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/862946/ ... re-es1-533
viewtopic.php?t=236560#p1260596
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=296280
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
https://itsfoss.com/disable-secure-boot-in-acer/
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

There were posts on setting up Win10/Mint dual boot on Acer machine due to Acer UEFI implementation requiring EFI key to be imported into secure boot trusted key database, even with secure boot disabled. Here is a link to an article on this issue from a few years back, details may be different but the key items still apply.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/627416/ ... -dual-boot

You may need to setup supervisor password to import key (steps 34-43), pick something simple like "1" since you will clear this when you are done. Modern laptops security keys cannot be reset by reloading CMOS like desktop, it requires intervention by Acer to remove if you forget the password.

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Thanks for replies will look at suggestions. Just thought I would give you an update. I followed instructions and in windows shrunk my hard drive making it unallocated. Then I turned off fast start and disabled secure boot. I used Rufus to put the Mint ISO on to a usb to make it bootable. I checked my bios to see if I could change the boot order but could not, so I just put the usb in and booted up. To my surprise the usb worked and started Mint. So I chose to install it and all seemed to work. When I shut down, took the usb out and booted up it all appeared good with the choice to boot windows or mint. However after I typed in my password the screen went black with only the pointer showing. It refuses to open up Mint and I am stuck. Have I done something wrong, or does anyone know whats happening? Ta.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Boot from your installation media (USB/DVD)
Open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-t). Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Did what you said Larry and nothing. No output at all. Just to say after I did this I then shut down and booted up again. The laptop on boot went straight to windows, there was no option for Mint anymore. I will now try a different version of Mint.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Be sure Secure Boot in BIOS is turned off and try again. If you go into Windows, turn off Fast Boot too.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Toplap wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:26 pm
Did what you said Larry and nothing. No output at all.
Try booting the USB you used for installation. In addition to inxi -Fxz, please run and report the output of sudo parted -l (that's an "L"). The latter command supplies useful information about your internal drive's partition table.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Acer UEFI implementation requires importing Mint EFI key into secure boot allowable key database before you can boot Mint boot loader. There has been several posts on this Acer boot issue. First please post results from inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l for system and partitions information to see if Mint actually installed on the drive.

Below is a link to article on how to import Mint EFI key into secure boot allowable key database, please review steps 34-43:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/627416/ ... -dual-boot

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Hi, I have used those codes in a terminal and got the replies but ran into problems. Basically the mouse would either disappear and I would not be able to copy the text or do anything, or it would turn into a cursor and not allow me to do anything. I would then have no choice but to use the power button to close down. I did photograph the two results which I have kept, but have struggled to copy them into Word or any program.
I have also tried following the other suggestions and cannot because in my bios "Select an UEFI file as trusted" is greyed out and I can't alter it. I have tried various means above to do this with enabling and disabling passwords but to no effect.
I personally feel that Mint is on my hard drive (it still boots up and runs until I put in my password) but as suggested a setting such as above is stopping it. Am I missing another way to turn on uefi as trusted? Cheers.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Toplap wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:14 am
I personally feel that Mint is on my hard drive (it still boots up and runs until I put in my password)
Just to make this explicit then, UEFI is here a gigantic red herring. Haven't read all, but you probably need the "nomodeset" kernel parameter.

Return to “Installation & Boot”