Level 16

Re: I cannot create or copy data on a partition [SOLVED]

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:24 pm

deck_luck wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 pm
altair4 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:50 am
And I would suggest just the opposite.

Larry78723 had the correct answer hours ago. The only problem with it is he had the wrong mount point. He had the wrong mount point because Disks told him that's where it was mounted.

Disks as an application really needed the aid of subject matter experts.
Do you have any experience using disks? Why are are misrepresenting disks indicating the wrong mount point. The disk summary had indicated the partition was in fact mounted on the /media/<username>/Dati mount point.

Contenuto Ext4 (versione 1.0) --- Montato su /media/me/Dati
It's rude asking Altair that question. His level is 19 and he is one of the most knowledgeable person on the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 pm

With all due respect his level is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the discussion. Misrepresenting what happened and trying to give the disks utility a bad reputation is not helping the new Linux users. If he is not familiar with a utility and tries persuade a new Linux user with his subjective bias, he has done a disservice to the new Linux user community.

I personally use the command line to manage storage, however the Linux Mint forum is primarily a new Linux user forum and distro. The new Linux users prefer to interact with user friendly tools (gui) to mange their computer. Some of them never want to use a command line, and I get that. It is not my mode of operation, but I understand their needs. The good folks at Linux Mint provided the disks utility for a reason. They understand their audience, and do a great job of creating one of the best new Linux user distro.

If the new Linux user had originally setup the new file system using the disks utility instead of using gparted, the user would not have experienced the permissions problem. If you deny that fact I can only conclude you have no empirical evidence to substantiate your misinformed claim.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I cannot let a very good and useful new Linux user utility be maligned.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 pm

In my observation, a LOT of experienced users dislike Disks. I use it only sparingly myself. It's easy, but does that by making assumptions often not well suited to the situation. And generally is opaque about the assumptions and doesn't offer an easy way to alter them.

In most cases, if the user wants GUI, GParted is a better tool, easier to understand and more transparent.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm

And using gparted is the reasoning the forum is full of disk management questions by new Linux users complaining they cannot access their new file system. The gparted utility creates the file system permission with root:root 755.

Most new Linux user do not want or know how to use the terminal to correct the problem. That is why I encourage them to use disks, because they will not have the permission problem.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm

You are absolutely correct and I stand corrected. Disks is a fine application and I encourage everyone to use it.

But seriously ... take for example a newly created fat32 partition that I created for this experiment. I used Disks to have it add an entry into fstab:

This is the line it created:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/9618-BBCE /mnt/9618-BBCE auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Can you tell me what's wrong with that? On second thought forget I asked the question.

The problem is the developers of this application have no idea what's wrong with that. Ignoring my objections to many of the options used the biggest problem is that it is not writeable to any user - only to root:
tester@vmint192cinn:~$ ls -dl /mnt/9618-BBCE
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 /mnt/9618-BBCE
Now one can argue that the application does allow the user to override and add other options that would fix this but there is the paradox: If I as a new user knew how and what to add to make it work I would not be using Disks. I would be editing fstab directly with a text editor.

Compare that entry in fstab created by Disks to how the Ubuntu ( Mint ) installer creates an entry during the initial install if you ask it to do so:
UUID=9618-BBCE /DataF vfat utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
Clearly geared more to a single user system based on the umask used and the reference to the plugdev group but still ... after the install I will have write access to the partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 pm

deck_luck wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm
Most new Linux user do not want or know how to use the terminal to correct the problem.
You're not doing new users any favors by reinforcing the belief that Terminal is difficult. There are a bunch of things more easily done in Terminal and some which can't be done any other way. What those situations call for are well written instructions (or a link to well written instructions) and a brief explanation of what the commands do or why the output requested is useful. As the saying goes, teach 'em to fish, don't just hand them one.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:17 pm

@altair

Of course it is geared to single user system it is part of a desktop distro. That is the entire point of using the user file browser volume manager. We are not talking about RHEL in an Oracle RAC environment. Please understand your audience. This is desktop forum with mostly new Linux desktop Linux users. This is not a Red Hat Enterprise Linux forum with server system admins.

The disks program default settings will tightly integrate with the user file browser volume manager to automatically mount the file system when you click on. That is what the op was doing.

Please understand your audience.
Last edited by deck_luck on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 pm

pbear wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 pm
deck_luck wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:23 pm
Most new Linux user do not want or know how to use the terminal to correct the problem.
You're not doing new users any favors by reinforcing the belief that Terminal is difficult. There are a bunch of things more easily done in Terminal and some which can't be done any other way. What those situations call for are well written instructions (or a link to well written instructions) and a brief explanation of what the commands do or why the output requested is useful. As the saying goes, teach 'em to fish, don't just hand them one.
You clearly want to get off topic with hyperbole and be defensive.
Again and for the last time for a new Linux user with no Linux skill it is very understandable the user would not want to use the terminal. I understand their reluctance. In the beginning they are overwhelmed just trying to get familar with Linux. Why not use a tool that is designed to do the work for them. After all we are talking about a desktop distro not a server distro with seasoned Unix SysAdmins.

Please, you need to understand your audience and put yourself in their position.

Post by deck_luck » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:49 am

In the future I would suggest you only use the disks program to create new file systems.
Unlike gparted the disks program will apply your user name as the owner and group as well as 700 permissions. It will prevent this situation. Most new to Linux users should only use the disks program. It will make their life much easier.
This was my comment, and I will stand by it without your added hyperbole.
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:35 pm

deck_luck wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 pm
... you need to understand ...
What I understand is that you're not listening. To anyone. Not much I can do about that. Feel free to throw one last zinger. Just understand that failure to respond doesn't mean I lack imagination. It's a side conversation in a Solved thread. Time to move on.

Return to “Installation & Boot”