Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Installer hangs when I select full disk encryption

Post by roblinuxmint » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:15 am

Hi all,

Decided to switch from XUbuntu 16.04 (runs on my old old laptop) to Mint 19.2 and use my old laptop for it and upgraded it with an SDD for better speed.

But when I select to install with full disk encryption the installer hangs on the enter secure pass phrase screen.

When I press install on that screen after having entered a secure pass phrase it never moves on to the next step and the mouse pointers spinning disk just keeps on spinning forever (until I close the installer windows).

Have tried many times but full disk encryption install does not work for me but a regular install does, and I have erased the SDD between tries as recommended in the below ubuntu forum post.

It was the only page I could find on the entire web that was directly related to my problems, so is this an unusual problem?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/656942/ ... encryption

I have an old Dell inspiron 1564 laptop as my linux machine with an Intel Core i3 350M processor and 4 GB Ram.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/41459 ... tml#manual

I have upgraded it with an internal 250 GB 3D NAND SDD disk from WD's blue series for this purpose.

https://www.westerndigital.com/products ... d-sata-ssd

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installer hangs when I select full disk encryption

Post by blueocean » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:13 pm

From looking online, that drive doesn't support encryption. That and the old hardware doesn't help. Why not just encrypt the Home folder during install and later disable the Grub root access so that it needs your same installation password. Even with a hacker in possession of your machine it would be pretty darned secure.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 pm

blueocean wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:13 pm
From looking online, that drive doesn't support encryption. That and the old hardware doesn't help. Why not just encrypt the Home folder during install and later disable the Grub root access so that it needs your same installation password. Even with a hacker in possession of your machine it would be pretty darned secure.
I know there are SDD drives with built in hardware encryption but when you use luks you use linux mint software encryption so the drive doesn't have to have it.

I suspect something with Luks might be incompatible with my SDD and hopefully someone knows of a workaround.

You are right that an encrypted home folder and swap might be enough for most users but an hacker could still install spyware that recorded your keystrokes and such if he/she got physical access to it?

My old old lenovo laptop with 2 GB ram and an Intel core duo cpu uses Xubuntu 16.04 with full disk encryption and even if it's not lightning fast it's still usable, and has also been my saviour the times windows has crashed and you have to spend a day or two trying to fix it and search on the net for solutions.

Windows 10 is actually faster than windows 7 and linux mint with cinnamon faster than win 10 on many point and as good on others, so if my Dell inspiron came pre installed with win 7 it will work well with lm 19.2 cinnamon to, or at least the mate flavor.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm

If you have stuff that is sensitive and you want to encrypt it why not use veracrypt just to protect that and leave the rest un-encrypted?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm
If you have stuff that is sensitive and you want to encrypt it why not use veracrypt just to protect that and leave the rest un-encrypted?
I did that before but got tired of having to mount and dismount and try to remember to put things in the right place all the time.

It's much more comfortable with full disc encryption cause you dont have to think about what to protect and not protect cause everything is, so your life becomes much easier, except at boot up...

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I did that before but got tired of having to mount and dismount
I've got it in startup apps so it automounts on boot (as long as I can remember the password :) ).

EDIT - you can use veracrypt to encrypt a whole partition (but I've not done it, so can't tell you how it works). If LUKS isn't working that might be an option?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Decided to try Ubuntu MATE 18.04.3 instead but it was the same problem so I had to make a hard shutdown.

After that i get this error when I restart at boot up:

Code: Select all

0.057000 acpi spcr unexpected spcr access width defaulting to byte size
And then it continues to load the live USB but it takes longer than the first time.

Could something be wrong with my SDD... it's brand new so there shouldnt be.

Found this bug report.

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9712125/

And this problem for at Kali user:

https://superuser.com/questions/1429209 ... uring-boot

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:33 pm

You're booting the live session in UEFI mode? and you need the separated /boot. An MBR setup can't do it without doing some manual trickery because it involves what would amount to encrypting on the MBR, encrypting the bootloader, but that's a paradox of how does the motherboard BIOS even do that? I saw a write up somewhere, almost certainly on an Ubuntu site about what you can do if it's a BIOS/MBR system.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Even encrypted, once booted and unlocked, as far as a keyboard keystroke hacker is concerned it's the same. Why? Because you unlocked it at startup. Same with encrypted Home folder. If you enable the firewall settings, I don't think you need to worry about a hacker.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm

zcot wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:33 pm
You're booting the live session in UEFI mode? and you need the separated /boot. An MBR setup can't do it without doing some manual trickery because it involves what would amount to encrypting on the MBR, encrypting the bootloader, but that's a paradox of how does the motherboard BIOS even do that? I saw a write up somewhere, almost certainly on an Ubuntu site about what you can do if it's a BIOS/MBR system.
I downloaded the 64 bit iso for ubuntu and it said it's for both bios and uefi, maybe I should try the 32 bit version if the 64 bit version nowadays only works fully for uefi systems?

I use rufus to burn the iso to USB in iso mode and not dd.

I did the same for my old old lenovo laptop but used a 32 bit iso since it is a 32 bit machine and full disk encryption worked for ubuntu 16.04 on it...

Migth be I have to use the 32 bit iso on my Dell to since it uses good old bios and not uefi?

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm

I don't know, let my try to dig it up, I had helped someone doing some research on IRC last year and that was the gist of what I got out of it, and I was on an older pc with MBR, no UEFI and not a specific /boot partition so that part caught my attention. I don't know the in's and out's of the automated installer situation though.

Yep, this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Manua ... Encryption and some offsite link in there related to BIOS/MBR type scheme.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:21 pm

FWIW, I've done full disk encryption in BIOS using the regular installer for 18.2 and 19.1, both 64 bit. Was installing to USB flash drive, but can't imagine that makes any difference for this purpose. Most of these I did for demo purposes, but I still have one of them if anyone wants me to check something.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 am

zcot wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm
I don't know, let my try to dig it up, I had helped someone doing some research on IRC last year and that was the gist of what I got out of it, and I was on an older pc with MBR, no UEFI and not a specific /boot partition so that part caught my attention. I don't know the in's and out's of the automated installer situation though.

Yep, this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Manua ... Encryption and some offsite link in there related to BIOS/MBR type scheme.
Ok, you talk about encrypting the boot partition to, and that seems to require a lot of manual steps.

I'm talking about trying to get the installers full disk encryption choice to work.

Maybe I should try to do it manually instead to get more control and hopefully find out exactly where it goes wrong.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:35 am

Got a bit bored trying to get the installers full disk encryption choice to work so I settled for a regular install of 64bit Linux Mint 19.2 MATE version with encrypted home folder cause I wanted to test drive LM and see how fast it felt with my new SDD.

The non-FDE installation went fine and it all seemed to work so i proceeded to the next step and made a snapshot and after that was finished launched the update manager to download all the latest updates and now things started to get funny... again.

The first time i fetched the list of updates it worked but then I clicked fetch updates again and after a while my laptop did a hard shutdown all by itself, and now that happens every time I open the update manager window and either click fetch updates or install updates, so there is a SERIOUS bug in the update manager that makes my laptop do a hard shutdown.

If i leave it as an icon in the taskbar it seem to be able to fetch the list of updates without shutting down my laptop, but if I open the update manager window while it is searching or after its finished to try to install them it does a hard shutdown of my laptop.

I have tried several different linux distros during the years but never one where the update manager behaves like this.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:47 am

I wonder if you can open the update manager and go to edit>software sources>click restore the default settings.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:48 pm

blueocean wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:47 am
I wonder if you can open the update manager and go to edit>software sources>click restore the default settings.
Will try that but... Today I have been thinking about it and started supecting CPU overheating problems beeing the cause, so when I got home from work I vaccumed all air inlets really carefully to get as much dust out of the laptop as possible and then I went into the BIOS and turned of a CPU feature called Turbo mode.

My Intel CPU can overclock itself when it thinks its needed and I could hear that its fan worked really really hard yesterday, so I figured that maybe it constantly ran in overclocked mode because of some incompatibility issue with the linux kernel and got overheated and shut itself off cause of it.

Today with Turbo mode disabled in the BIOS its fan only works half as hard as yesterday and I managed to download and install all the updates without problem, but I didn't use the Update Manager and did it manually from the terminal instead.

Now I can begin exploring Linux Mint Mate edition and learn its ins an outs... and even with turbo mode off it feels reasonably quick and snappy on my old dell inspiron laptop where Win 7 had started to feel quite slow:-)

Fingers crossed that it was the BIOS turbo mode that made my CPU run hot and that it doesn't anymore with it disabled.

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:57 pm

blueocean wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:47 am
Ok, done it and it worked fine.

When I started the update manager the only update listed was the linux kernel, then I restored the default settings and after I clicked ok it re-read the updates list and still only the linux kernel.

Selected to install it and that worked fine to, but it might be becuse it turned of turbo mode in the bios so we'll never know for sure.

I had already done a manual update from the terminal earlier so why didnt it install the new linux kernel to?

Return to “Installation & Boot”