Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Vic1964
Level 1
Level 1

Messed up with grub

Post by Vic1964 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum, but not linux. Here's what I've (mistakenly) done.

Have an older laptop, that runs UEFI I found out recently. Never paid attention before now. SO, I installed Win 7 to the first Partition, finished up the install and started to do LM 18, and proceeded as planned. Partitioned the hdd for LM, then installed...unfortunately I installed grub to SDA at this time. THEN I figured out about LM install wasn't EFI, so I reinstalled, in UEFI mode, and then installed grub to the EFI partition...sda1.

Problem is when I reboot I get an error message that flashes on the screen after the BIOS splash, only for a secondor less, thengrub loads.

Question: How do I get rid of the first grub install out!!!!

THANKS a LOT in advance....

Vic1964
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Messed up with grub

Post by Vic1964 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm

You mean I posted in the wrong forum? Or you're unwilling to help with a useful link....I reinstalled, put the Grub in SDA1, (where it goes,) and the grub installed on SDA is throwing fits at boot...so, ummmm.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Try running below commands, one at a time, in Terminal. Reboot and see if it fix the issue.

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Vic1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vic1964 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Already tried that, but to make sure, I did it again...no luck. Is there no way to

sudo remove grub sda ????

AND short of reinstalling EVERYTHING, Win 7, the new Mint, android x86, AND prime OS....ny flipping google drive is NOWHERE that deep....

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Vic1964 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 pm
sudo remove grub sda ????
I've spent a lot of time on hybrid install (full install with both BIOS and UEFI bootloaders) and don't think I've ever seen a reference to what you're looking for. If it's anywhere, though, I'd say the Ubuntu Community pages on Grub are your best bet.

If you come up empty and it's either reinstall or take drastic measures, the dreaded dd might work. That is, I've seen it discussed as a way to erase the MBR of a proper msdos formatted device. Suggests sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1. Occurs to me bs=466 might take out only the Grub stub. Understand. I've not done this and don't vouch for it. I merely point it out. Personally, I would only chance it as a last resort.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”