Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
parchping
Level 1
Level 1

NVME partitioning problem

Post by parchping » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:22 pm

I have a new 1TB P1 nvme from Crucial. I am having trouble partitioning.
I partitioned using gparted running from a Mint 19.2 USB stick as follows:
/dev/nvme0n1p1 linux-swap 32GB
/dev/nvme0n1p2 ext4 62.5GB
/dev/nvme0n1p3 ext4 837GB (the rest of the drive)

While using Mint from the USB, I succeeded in copying my old drive's root partition to the new root partition (p2 above). This took a long time (40 minutes for 18G?).

When I run gparted from the USB drive, the nvme has information icons (complaints) next to the partitions. They say various things, always including "couldn't find valid filesystem superblock". All three partitions.
When I run gparted from my main drive (which I want to replace with nvme) (which boots with no problem, even with the nvme as above), there are not complaints from gparted.

What am I missing? I thought this was going to be straightforward.

Thanks,
Steve

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: NVME partitioning problem

Post by athi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:40 pm

You should be cloning the partitions and not copying content of partitions. Clonezilla seems to be a popular tools for cloning here, https://clonezilla.org/

Your machine seems pretty new since it has onboard NVMe and may not have legacy BIOS or CSM support. From the list of created partitions, I do not see an EFI partition so this looks like you are cloning a legacy BIOS installation. This could be an issue if machine firmware does not support legacy BIOS or UEFI with CSM. Is the Mint installation that you are cloning UEFI installation?
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

parchping
Level 1
Level 1

Post by parchping » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 pm

My MB is running as UEFI/legacy. I think Mint was installed UEFI. I built the machine in January, 2018 and installed Mint 18.

The partitions are what I did following a lot of reading web pages. I am concerned that they might not be current, found the best I could.

If I clone the partitions, do I start with empty partitions on the nvme, or will the cloning create them?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 am

I have not use Clonezilla before, but have use similar cloning software in the past. There should be an option for a full disk clone, this will clone all partitions and settings from the old HDD. If there is no option to resize the partitions while cloning, you can always resize the partition with a Mint live USB later.

Just reread the first post, if you can boot from the old HDD, a full disk clone should work for you.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 am

athi wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 am
f there is no option to resize the partitions while cloning, you can always resize the partition with a Mint live USB later.
Just an fyi for future reference... Clonezilla supports cloning to the same size or larger disks. There is a way to resize partitions but it's fraught with potential problems so the Clonezilla devs hide the option in the advanced settings. I wouldn't recommend it. Your alternate option is the best course of action for the OP.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 am

catweazel, thank you for the clarification.

parchping
Level 1
Level 1

Post by parchping » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 am

In my case, my machine currently has / on a 120G drive and /home on another drive. I'm pretty sure what I did with gparted is the same cloning operation. When booted from a USB drive, I used gparted to copy (gparted's terminology) /dev/sda1 partition (/) to the nvme. This resulted in a same-sized partition on the nvme. Since there was only 18G in /, I shrank the partition to 64G with gparted.

The problem I have is that gparted (booted from USB drive) complains it can't find the superblocks in any partition on the nvme, either the one with / or two others that gparted created. When I boot from the internal drive, no complaint from gparted.

So I can do this again with Clonezilla. It sounds like that way I end up with a 120G partition for /, a bit much, but do-able (if resizing is not recommended). Why won't I end up with superblock problems again? I'd like to figure that part out before proceeding.

Return to “Installation & Boot”