Can Update Manager upgrade me by stages?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can Update Manager upgrade me by stages?

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am

Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 am
markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 am
A clean install of Windows is ...clean. A clean install of Linux is a horror show.
How so? I've always found it fast and easy. I've retained my entire /home through several installations and things work fine.
Okay, clean install. How?

I attached linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso and made it live. But there's no setting in VBox for boot order that I've found like there is for hardware. I booted the VM and it did not boot to the virtual optical drive.

So I searched. I searched the VBox manual, I searched the Internet. There's all kinds of help for installing from CD/USB to create a new VM, but I've not found how to boot an existing VDI VM to an attached CD. How do you do it?

Oh, and I also opened the CD in Mint to see if there's anything there like a 'setup.exe'. Nope.

I know this is not a VBox support forum, but you've done this. How do you do it?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:38 am

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am
I know this is not a VBox support forum, but you've done this. How do you do it?
Sorry, I've only ever installed on bare metal. I don't know the first thing about installing in a virtual machine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:49 am

If you're going to do a clean install, I'd suggest having a separate /home partition if you don't have one already.

Another suggestion---keep your current VM of 18 and create a new one of 19. That way you can copy your scripts (and whatever else) if you don't have separate /home.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:50 am

Forgot to ask: Are you using Oracle's VirtualBox?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am

I'm wondering why the OP didn't mention that they're running LM in a VM until the 21st post?

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah! I found how to change boot order. It's in the 'Motherboard' tab. It was documented in the VBox manual, but not where one would expect it.

I think I'll be okay now ...I hope.

This sure would be easier if there was a stepped upgrade path.

Signing out now so I can install 18.1 into the VM in which I'm currently writing this.

...Started out asking how I can get Update Manager to take steps, and now doing a clean install. Life's full of surprises, isn't it? Wish me luck. I sure hope my system comes out the other side with menus intact. I can always throw the VDI away and get the backup if things go south.

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am
I'm wondering why the OP didn't mention that they're running LM in a VM until the 21st post?
Because I didn't know that was an issue in upgrading ...how would I know?

I'm not even sure whether that is an issue at all.

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:25 am

Well, I got stopped by this:
VirtualBox_Mint_19_09_2019_08_10_33.png
"No root file system is defined"? Of course there is one, ext4.

I have a sinking feeling that Mint can't install over itself (upgrade) the way Windows does. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

BTW, I read the Mint install documentation and it doesn't cover upgrading the OS.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 am

Nope, you haven't set a root partition yet. Click OK on the error, and with sda1 highlighted, click change then set the mount point as /.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:44 am

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am
Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 am
Because I didn't know that was an issue in upgrading ...how would I know?

I'm not even sure whether that is an issue at all.
Of course that makes a difference. A crucial difference. You should have mentioned that from the start.

Let's assume that you lack knowledge of computers, so you're hereby excused. But anyone with only a moderate hobbyist understanding of computers (let alone a professional) would realize that a VM interacts in a radically different way with the (video) hardware. Namely through the layer of the virtualization application (VirtualBox?). Which can account for many issues.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 am

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 am
Nope, you haven't set a root partition yet. Click OK on the error, and with sda1 highlighted, click change then set the mount point as /.
Thanks for that help. I was about to give up, clone the existing VM, and install 19.2 on the clone. But I'll try repeating the install by clicking [Change] and setting the mount point. Signing out again to do it.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 am
Yeah! I found how to change boot order. It's in the 'Motherboard' tab. It was documented in the VBox manual, but not where one would expect it.
The default is Floppy > Optical > Hard Disk. I've booted installed VMs with an ISO many times (e.g., to run GParted) without having to change anything. So this sounds like a slip of the mouse at some point. Almost has to have been, as otherwise you wouldn't have been able to install the VM.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:24 pm

pbear wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm
markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 am
The default is Floppy > Optical > Hard Disk. I've booted installed VMs with an ISO many times (e.g., to run GParted) without having to change anything. So this sounds like a slip of the mouse at some point. Almost has to have been, as otherwise you wouldn't have been able to install the VM.
No, my friend. I've changed the boot order many times in order to put the HD 1st so that I don't boot to a disc that's already in the OD. I just forgot where the boot order was. My bad.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 am

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 am
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am
... Anyway: no need to start nit-picking. You have an individual problem with release upgrades that's not in any way general. Probably caused by you, namely by previous tweaks and hacks.
I haven't hacked anything. Why are you persisting?
Cough-Cough viewtopic.php?f=208&t=294896&p=1639969& ... u#p1639969
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:43 am

The subtle hint that smurphos is dropping here with that link to another situation that you ran scripts etc. is yes indeed you have made "hacks"...hacking is not just malicious changes to an operating system...its any changes you make to a system to achieve a certain result...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:13 am
markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 am
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am
... Anyway: no need to start nit-picking. You have an individual problem with release upgrades that's not in any way general. Probably caused by you, namely by previous tweaks and hacks.
I haven't hacked anything. Why are you persisting?
Cough-Cough viewtopic.php?f=208&t=294896&p=1639969& ... u#p1639969
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:43 am
The subtle hint that smurphos is dropping here with that link to another situation that you ran scripts etc. is yes indeed you have made "hacks"...hacking is not just malicious changes to an operating system...its any changes you make to a system to achieve a certain result...DAMIEN
What is this? Pjotr thought I was in trouble and attributed it to hacking. That came purely out of his head. I'm not/was not in trouble, and commenting out 2 unwanted buttons in some javascript that makes buttons for a panel applet is hardly hacking.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:23 pm

You can't have it both ways. Reinstall is easy, unless you've done something to make reproducing your old system difficult. And you did say, "A clean install of Linux is a horror show." Suggestion. As you're about to go through the process of reproducing your old system manually, take detailed notes this time so you know exactly what to do when this comes up again. Fact of life, it will come up again. That's the nature of stable release.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm

markfilipak wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am
commenting out 2 unwanted buttons in some javascript that makes buttons for a panel applet is hardly hacking.
Then call it 'tweaking' if you like that term better. But hacking is not a negative word in my world. No one thinks you are involved with cybercrimes.
The fact is: if you are running a non-standard system, you are at risk for running into non-standard problems.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 pm

Moem wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm
markfilipak wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am
commenting out 2 unwanted buttons in some javascript that makes buttons for a panel applet is hardly hacking.
Then call it 'tweaking' if you like that term better. But hacking is not a negative word in my world. No one thinks you are involved with cybercrimes.
The fact is: if you are running a non-standard system, you are at risk for running into non-standard problems.
Progress:
It appears that the transparency problem in a new Mint 18.3 VM (or a new Mint 19.2 VM for that matter) was not caused by the Mint upgrade, but was caused by a VBox update from 6.0.10 to 6.0.12, (see Note) -- by happenstance, they occurred at the same time. The problem was compounded by the Mint 'System Settings' 'Windows' opacity control not appearing. Today, the 'System Settings' 'Windows' 'Minimum opacity' control does appear but it doesn't work.

Note: With the update to VBox 6.0.12, I switched from VBox's VBoxVGA display driver to the VMSVGA display driver as instructed by a VBox pop-over.

Since the problem now appears to be purely a display driver problem, not an upgrade problem with 'Update Manager', This topic is stale and the action should shift to another topic: viewtopic.php?f=208&t=301969. I trust that you agree.

PS: This is a dead giveaway... I'm writing this in my original, Mint 18 VM. It also now exhibits the transparency problem.

Return to “Installation & Boot”