[SOLVED] I was dual booting Linux and Windows, but replaced the hard drive that contained linux, how to proceed?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
CoelhoLado
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] I was dual booting Linux and Windows, but replaced the hard drive that contained linux, how to proceed?

Post by CoelhoLado » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:04 am

So my computer had both a ssd and an hdd drive when i bought it, windows was in the sdd and i later installed linux on a partition on the hdd.

However just a few days ago the hard drive decided it didn't want to spin anymore and died so i bought an ssd and replaced it. I want to install linux in a partition of the new ssd just like i had before but my pc now boots to this:

I can access windows just fine, that is not the problem, but i was wondering if having the pc boot to linux grub already changes anything in the usual instalation process?
Last edited by CoelhoLado on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I was dual booting Linux and Windows, but replaced the hard drive that contained linux, how to proceed?

Post by pbear » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Hello, CoelhoLado, welcome to the Linux Mint Forums.

What's happening is that the Grub bootloader on the old SSD (presumably sda) is looking for boot images on the now-missing HDD. You need to boot a live session and install again, just as you did the last time. I'm pretty sure it will overwrite the old bootloader (in the ubuntu subfolder of the EFI partition), but even if not should boot fine. Afterwards, you could delete the superfluous bootloader, though I've heard you might have to do that from Windows with bcdedit. By the way, which version did you have? Consider whether to install the current version instead.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

CoelhoLado
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I was dual booting Linux and Windows, but replaced the hard drive that contained linux, how to proceed?

Post by CoelhoLado » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Posting to report that it did in fact replace the previous boot loader, and i did install the newest version available! Thank you the clarification!

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] I was dual booting Linux and Windows, but replaced the hard drive that contained linux, how to proceed?

Post by pbear » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Congratulations, well done, and thanks for reporting back about the bootloader.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Installation & Boot”