Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kitkat0981
Level 1
Level 1

Shuts down on it's own

Post by kitkat0981 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:58 am

Hi all,

could not figure out what other forum to put this in.

Shutting down on its own; I have been running this Linux Mint 19.2 TINA on this HP EliteBook x360 for about a month now and noticed that the tablet switches off on it's own with no warning. It's normaly soon after the lock screen comes on (5-10 minutes later) but other times just while working, it will turn completely off with no warning. I have turned off all screen savers, and battery management and the tablet is connected to AC power.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this. What is causing it to suddenly turn off?

Any help would be appreciated... replacing my windows with Mint and loving it so far except for this annoying power off.

rjsrjs
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Shuts down on it's own

Post by rjsrjs » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 am

Try to get a hold of another computer and install 19.2 (the same one that is giving you problems on your present computer, the HP) and see if it does the same thing on the test computer. This may show you if it's the actual 19.2 program or the computer itself.

Good Luck.

kitkat0981
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kitkat0981 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:35 am

im running mint 19.2 on another PC at home (desktop) and it's fine.

So far this morning, my HP tablet has only shut down once... Any logs I can look at to see ? DMESG get's re-written so that wont help. Im not that versed in Linux, so...

roblinuxmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roblinuxmint » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi,

I've been wrestling with getting Linux Mint installed with full disk encryption all week but yesterday I gave up cause no tricks or tips helped.

Yesterday I made a normal non-FDE install that went fine except for one thing... When I started updating the system as recommended it made a hard shutdown every time so I suspected some kind of bug in the update manager.

Today I have been thinking about it and started supecting CPU overheating problems beeing the cause, so when I got home from work I vaccumed all air inlets really carefully to get as much dust out of the laptop as possible and then I went into the BIOS and turned of a CPU feature called Turbo mode.

My Intel CPU can overclock itself when it thinks its needed and I could hear that its fan worked really really hard yesterday, so I figured that maybe it constantly ran in overclocked mode because of some incompatibility issue with the linux kernel and got overheated and shut itself off cause of it.

Today with Turbo mode disabled in the BIOS its fan only works half as hard as yesterday and I managed to download and install all the updates without problem, but I didn't use the Update Manager and did it manually from the terminal instead.

Now I can begin exploring Linux Mint Mate edition and learn its ins an outs... and even with turbo mode off it feels reasonably quick and snappy on my old dell inspiron laptop where Win 7 had started to feel quite slow:-)

Fingers crossed that it was the BIOS turbo mode that made my CPU run hot and that it doesn't anymore with it disabled.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm

Congratulation on your good sleuthing. Turbo mode has been known to cause overheating in laptops and tablets due to the low volume of air movement.

Return to “Installation & Boot”