[SOLVED] Booting Linux Mint from the Windows bootloader?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AngryDavid 808
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Booting Linux Mint from the Windows bootloader?

Post by AngryDavid 808 »

Hello! I need a few instructions from you guys, as experts.

So, imagine having a Windows 7 laptop, and I need to install Linux Mint on that laptop to make a dual-boot system. Yet, I need to keep Windows 7's bootloader, since, I'm not a fan of Mint's default GRUB bootloader, and the way it works. (I myself prefer Zorin's GRUB bootloader. That statement about me prefering Zorin's GRUB bootloader is just a side note.)

Is it possible to dual-boot Linux Mint and Windows 7, along with keeping Windows 7's bootloader and being able to load Linux Mint from it? And if possible, please tell me all detailed instructions on how to do so. It'd be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Linux Mint family!
Regards,
David :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux user since August, 2019.
DEVICE: HP Pavilion dv6-2300 - Win10 + Mint 21 / Intel Core i7 Q720 1.6GHz / 4GB RAM / 256GB Internal SSD + 1TB Toshiba HDD (Caddy used) + 1TB WD Elements External HDD (yeah, I'm kind of a data hoarder) / nVidia GeForce 320M
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Booting Linux Mint from the Windows bootloader?

Post by rene »

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/923853/ ... th-windows. The self-answer is the most basic one (it seems that in step 16, "crunch.bin" would need to be "ubuntu.bin") and the next answer is the usual EasyBCD answer.
AngryDavid 808
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Booting Linux Mint from the Windows bootloader?

Post by AngryDavid 808 »

Thank you for the answer, sir!
Linux user since August, 2019.
DEVICE: HP Pavilion dv6-2300 - Win10 + Mint 21 / Intel Core i7 Q720 1.6GHz / 4GB RAM / 256GB Internal SSD + 1TB Toshiba HDD (Caddy used) + 1TB WD Elements External HDD (yeah, I'm kind of a data hoarder) / nVidia GeForce 320M

Return to “Installation & Boot”