[Solved] Partition Deletion

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xoanon

[Solved] Partition Deletion

Post by xoanon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 am

Greetings, I have a Windows 7 system that after the first of the year, I will be converting to Linux Mint. My question concerns partitioning. Since I've had to reinstall windows so many times over the years, I finally decided to Partition my primary OS drive (C:\) into two drives (C:\ and H:\) where the C:\ drive holds only the Windows 7 OS and the H:\ drive contains all of my user data.

When installing Linux Mint from a bootable flash drive, will the installation wipe ALL partitions (C:\ & H:\) or just the partition with the OS on it (C:\) ??? I've got almost a Terabyte of data on H:\ and really don't want to lose it. Thanks for reading and any helpful input would be most appreciated!
Last edited by xoanon on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Partition Deletion

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 am

xoanon wrote: I've got almost a Terabyte of data on H:\ and really don't want to lose it.
Installation aside, be sure you have a backup of that data, for all the reasons you can't think of.
xoanon wrote: When installing Linux Mint from a bootable flash drive, will the installation wipe ALL partitions (C:\ & H:\) or just the partition with the OS on it (C:\) ???
There are options during installation, and wiping the entire drive is one of them, so don't select that. :) There's a "Something Else" option that I like to use, where I direct what goes to what partition during the install. The Linux Mint Installation Guide should have more information.

Joe

sravan_js
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sravan_js » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:47 am

If you already have two partitions (C:\ and H:\), no need to worry. While the time of Mint installation you can choose 'Something Else' option when it ask to choose your partition. There you can choose the partition which you decided to install Linux. New Operating System will be written only in that partition. Also you can access your other partition with all data you stored. :)

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks to all as this was EXACTLY what I needed to know! Also, I have TWO backups of ALL data. :D A great day to all!

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am

How well this will work, though, depends on the size of the C: partition. How large is it? Also, you're going to need to reformat it. Can be done with the installer, but I prefer to do all partition work before installation using GParted, a system app included with the live ISO. By the way, after installation, you can mount the data partition manually each time or set it up to mount automatically by editing fstab.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 pm

pbear wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am
How well this will work, though, depends on the size of the C: partition. How large is it? Also, you're going to need to reformat it. Can be done with the installer, but I prefer to do all partition work before installation using GParted, a system app included with the live ISO. By the way, after installation, you can mount the data partition manually each time or set it up to mount automatically by editing fstab.
Currently, the C:\ drive (OS) is partitioned at 160G. I was trying to test the "Something Else" option in a VirtualBox virtual machine which was a total nightmare. I did get a second "partition" setup and got to the "Something Else" option but it was a little above me. I think I finally got it setup and formatted, mainly with luck but then something happened and I finally gave up and decided to try the Dual-Boot method. Since my system has EFI that also for some reason didn't work even with turning EFI off in BIOS and booting from a Flash drive for installation. I am going to try and install it in VMWare free and, at least, get back to where I can continue my "learning curve" and testing. Thank you for the information on the tools and any further comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:52 pm

xoanon wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 pm
pbear wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am
Currently, the C:\ drive (OS) is partitioned at 160G. I was trying to test the "Something Else" option in a VirtualBox virtual machine which was a total nightmare. I did get a second "partition" setup and got to the "Something Else" option but it was a little above me. I think I finally got it setup and formatted, mainly with luck but then something happened and I finally gave up and decided to try the Dual-Boot method. Since my system has EFI that also for some reason didn't work even with turning EFI off in BIOS and booting from a Flash drive for installation. I am going to try and install it in VMWare free and, at least, get back to where I can continue my "learning curve" and testing. Thank you for the information on the tools and any further comments or suggestions would be most appreciated!
Here is one way to setup a UEFI install, it may not fit your needs but you can get an idea of the something else function.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=298939
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 pm

xoanon wrote:
Currently, the C:\ drive (OS) is partitioned at 160G.
That's plenty. You have enough room, even, for separate root, home and Timeshift partitions, plus the data partition you already have, of course. FWIW, that's how I've set up my system with a 1 TB internal drive. Or, you could go the simple way and make it one large root partition (large considering it doesn't have to hold any data). Do you know whether the partition table is DOS or GPT? If not, you can check with GParted.

As for the Something Else method, you're gonna have to learn it if you want multiple partitions. Can't tell where you're going sideways. I will mention the thing which stumped me at first, which is that you won't see the mount point option until you've specified "Use as," even if you've already formatted the partition which seems like it should be the same thing. Also, be aware you can't set a data partition in the installer. You do that afterwards.

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:22 am

Wow, thank you all for the wealth of information! I have sooo much to learn. I have made sure "Secure Boot" is turned off and it is and I disabled "Legacy" in the BIOS settings. I think I will try again tomorrow to setup a dual-boot again. This time on EFI. Maybe it'll work this time. Wish me luck!

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 pm

pbear wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 pm
xoanon wrote:
Currently, the C:\ drive (OS) is partitioned at 160G.
That's plenty. You have enough room, even, for separate root, home and Timeshift partitions, plus the data partition you already have, of course. FWIW, that's how I've set up my system with a 1 TB internal drive. Or, you could go the simple way and make it one large root partition (large considering it doesn't have to hold any data). Do you know whether the partition table is DOS or GPT? If not, you can check with GParted.

As for the Something Else method, you're gonna have to learn it if you want multiple partitions. Can't tell where you're going sideways. I will mention the thing which stumped me at first, which is that you won't see the mount point option until you've specified "Use as," even if you've already formatted the partition which seems like it should be the same thing. Also, be aware you can't set a data partition in the installer. You do that afterwards.
As someone who is just beginning to learn, would you suggest partitioning the OS drive as one large root partition and if so, is 160GB too much space? Also, I was able to get GParted loaded up and the partition table is GPT.

I read through the thread about the "Something else..." option in installing and I believe once I learn more terminology and commands, I should be able to do (fingers crossed). I still have much to learn but have found several sources to start from the beginning so I can understand a bit more of what I am doing both with Command Line & Linux Mint.

You also mentioned something about retaining the Data drive (H:\) partition when performing the "real" install. If you have any information on how to do that or there is a thread on the forums, I would appreciate a link.

Thanks again for all the information and wanted to let everyone know that I turned off "Legacy" in my BIOS and and finally installed Linux Mint 19.2 side-by-side with Windows 7. I've even installed Chrome & Thunderbird and was able to transfer my Thunderbird Profiles from Windows 7 to Mint thanks to help from the forums.

Best to all!

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Sorry, there was already a link above about separate Data & OS drives. Please excuse. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 pm

you can manually partition that C: drive, to get some free space,
or you can actually use the auto-install - - along side of - - option , as well.
- this will work well, with that win-7 system, as long as you still have one free partition, still available.
thus, in ms-dos mode, you cannot have all four partitions, used up.

you do need to check this, from the installed win-7 system,
- - is it 64 bit ? - - is it installed in ms-dos mode mode ? or in UEFI partitioning ?.
this will tell you, how to install the LinuxMint system.

if that win-7 is an 64 bit & is using an EFI partition, then you can just create one more partition,
and then install to that one partition - - this simple approach, would be better, for any new-comer, to Linux.

NB: there is no Fast Start / Secure Boot in an win-7 based system,
as those only are available, in win 8x or in win-10 systems.

but, at least, you did manage to get the LM19x series installed onto your machine.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm

xoanon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 pm
... finally installed Linux Mint 19.2 side-by-side with Windows 7.
I'm puzzled. If you want dual boot and have done it, where do all the other questions come in? Are you thinking about redoing the whole thing single boot when Win7 goes end-of-life? If so, that might change the game plan, as by then (hopefully) you will have a pretty good idea how this works.

As for your specific question, 160 GB for the system (aside from data) is larger than you need, but not profligately wasteful. For comparison, I have a 1 TB hard drive, four partitions, one of which is a data partition, and the aggregate size of the other three is 120 GB. That includes a larger than usual root partition to accommodate a swap partition large enough to hibernate 8 GB of RAM.

For more information on lumping vs. splitting partitions, take a look at this thread running parallel to yours. Up to you which approach to pursue. If I'm right this is going to be a two stage process, no need to cross that bridge until you get to it.

xoanon

Post by xoanon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:42 am

pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 pm
xoanon wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 pm
... finally installed Linux Mint 19.2 side-by-side with Windows 7.
I'm puzzled. If you want dual boot and have done it, where do all the other questions come in? Are you thinking about redoing the whole thing single boot when Win7 goes end-of-life? If so, that might change the game plan, as by then (hopefully) you will have a pretty good idea how this works.

As for your specific question, 160 GB for the system (aside from data) is larger than you need, but not profligately wasteful. For comparison, I have a 1 TB hard drive, four partitions, one of which is a data partition, and the aggregate size of the other three is 120 GB. That includes a larger than usual root partition to accommodate a swap partition large enough to hibernate 8 GB of RAM.

For more information on lumping vs. splitting partitions, take a look at this thread running parallel to yours. Up to you which approach to pursue. If I'm right this is going to be a two stage process, no need to cross that bridge until you get to it.
Yes, that is what I am wanting to do is reinstalling everything when Win7 support ends. Thank you all for the information and wish me luck. I have a lot of reading to do. Best!

Return to “Installation & Boot”