Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Reinstall of Linux & Windows

Post by linuxheid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 am

Hi all,

I have a PC that currently has:

* approx 450 GB HDD with Win 10
* approx 127 GB SSD with Linux Cinnamon 19.1

The SSD was only added a few months ago. It is unsurprisingly, noticeably faster than the HDD. I am thus intending to do a reinstall to put Linux onto the SSD since Linux is now my preferred OS. I still intend to re-install Windows onto the HDD. That is case something pops up that I need to do quickly and haven't yet found the tool for it in Linux. Also by doing the reinstall of both is useful experience for me. I have less than 12 GB of data and don't expect that increasing dramatically soon. Hence I believe I should confidently be able to fit all my data on to the SSD. I have data copied to Mega cloud storage which I can access from Linux & Windows (I was using Allsync previously but Allsync removed their free plan this week). I have a fresh data back up taken to an external storage device earlier today and have tested I can recover that data OK. In fact just typing that, I think I will also take a data copy to a USB stick I have just for that extra safety belt of having the data in 3 locations.

I have booted with a linux install USB stick. When I select the disk options for something else, I get the following:
Screenshot from 2019-10-19 07-03-01.png
Screenshot from 2019-10-19 07-15-58.png
I am concerned I may delete a partition that I shouldn't that leaves in an irretrievable position. Hence can anyone advise me on please:

1) Which partitions in there should I delete and which should I leave in place? I'd ideally like to do this in a stepped process if I can where I remove Windows from the SSD and install Linux on the SSD before I do anything on the HDD. I say that just out of caution.

2) Just to sanity check my understanding (based on a previous reply by AndyMH; I create a directories as:

* 40 GB /root
* everything else as /home
* under LM19.x no need for a swap partition

As always, my humble thanks to anyone who assists.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you, in such a way that it can be seen on the forum overview page; you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Reinstall of Linux & Windows

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 am

linuxheid wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 am
1) Which partitions in there should I delete and which should I leave in place?
The one thing you mustn't do is delete this partition:
Screenshot_20191019_185206.png

I think you have too many partitions spread around to be able to advise you further without you inventorying what each partition is used for, so you will have to decide some things for yourself. 40GB is probably quite sufficient, some will say it's too high, but we don't know how much RAM you have and whether or not you intend to hibernate the machine. It would help a bit more if you post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz. You can copy the text from the terminal screen by selecting it then right-clicking.
As always, my humble thanks to anyone who assists.
That's very nice of you :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:06 am

if you now have a PC that currently has:

then, what is the need to re-install either system ?

ie: theoretically, you would place the windows system on that SSD as it always needs to be faster,
and then place the LinuxMint system onto that HDD as the LinuxMint can cope with the slower drive.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:13 am

Point noted not to delete the Windows Boot Manager partition. That reply alone helps so my thanks for that.

Here is the output to the command as per what you suggest:

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire E1-571 v: V2.06 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HC_HR v: Type2 - Board Version serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: Acer v: 2.06 date: 10/05/2012 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 25.7 Wh condition: 25.7/47.5 Wh (54%) 
  model: LG Li_Ion_4000mA status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-2328M bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 17560 
  Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 800 
  3: 798 4: 797 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.2 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: tg3 v: 3.137 port: 2040 
  bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lite-On 
  driver: ath9k v: kernel port: 2040 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 592.62 GiB used: 209.0 MiB (0.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda model: Teclast 128GB S550 size: 119.24 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 7.62 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD050 size: 465.76 GiB 
  temp: 31 C 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 1.84 GiB used: 209.0 MiB (11.1%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 276 Uptime: 3h 17m Memory: 3.67 GiB used: 1.13 GiB (30.9%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.32 

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:17 am

Pierre wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:06 am
if you now have a PC that currently has:

then, what is the need to re-install either system ?

ie: theoretically, you would place the windows system on that SSD as it always needs to be faster,
and then place the LinuxMint system onto that HDD as the LinuxMint can cope with the slower drive.
Hi Pierre and thanks for your response. I thought it may be more advantageous to have Linux on the SSD since Linux is my preferred OS and the one I use most. If though my notion to do that is folly, I can easily stop. At the moment my data is on the SSD with Windows which is a bit inconvenient but not the end of the world if that is something I have to live with. I suppose I could move the data from the SSD to the HDD if it will still be visible on the HDD to Win 10 running on the SSD?

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:49 am

catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 am

Hi again Catweazel,

To potentially spare you wasting well intended time; following the reply from Pierre it seems I may no longer be going ahead with this.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:52 am

in all reality, if the machine is working okay, then there is no need to change anything,
& particularly if this is your Main Machine .. .. just leave it, as is .. for the moment, anyway.

some others, like myself, have several PCs to play with, and only occasionally mess with their Main Machine:
- - like this Laptop, for example.
:)

so, it's your machine, though, and if you do wish to change things around, then you can do so,
but, back-up anything that is important, first .. then install windows, then the LinuxMint 8)
- - maybe next year :?: when LM20 comes out :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am

Pierre wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:52 am
in all reality, if the machine is working okay, then there is no need to change anything,
& particularly if this is your Main Machine .. .. just leave it, as is .. for the moment, anyway.

some others, like myself, have several PCs to play with, and only occasionally mess with their Main Machine:
- - like this Laptop, for example.

so, it's your machine, though, and if you do wish to change things around, then you can do so,
but, back-up anything that is important, first .. then install windows, then the LinuxMint 8)
- - maybe next year :?: when LM20 comes out :)
Hi Pierre,

I agree with your prudent value of backups. I've back ups taken today to 3 different locations plus a backup 2 days ago to the external drive I use for backups; However I also get the point you alude to that every change carries an element of risk. Hence I have backed off for the moment with the dual re-install. I have also now actioned an upgrade of Cinnamon 19.1 to 19.2 that appears to have gone without issue.

If I may now then ask please:

1) I am still tempted to do a reinstall of windows. By that I mean on to the SSD where Win 10 is currently installed. I say that since when I did that install a few months ago, I in hindsight created a user profile on there that would have been better if simpler. Are there any concerns I should be aware of re-installing to the SSD bearing I have Linux Mint on the HDD on this PC?

2) Currently my data is on the SSD where Win 10 is installed. If I were to move that data to the HDD where linux is installed, is there a way this can be configured so Win 10 can see the data after its moved to the HDD where Linux is? Currently when I look in win 10 File Manager, I can't see the HDD where Linux is installed.

I also have another question but its likely better in a thread on apps so I'll post that question separately.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:37 am

1. do you need to re-install the whole windows system, just for the one user profile ?.
- - could you just re-create the simpler user profile, as an New User, on the existing windows system ?.

2. if you do want both systems to see the data after its moved to the HDD,
then that data should be on an separately formatted NTFS partition & which both systems can read from.

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:18 pm

Pierre wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:37 am
1. do you need to re-install the whole windows system, just for the one user profile ?.
- - could you just re-create the simpler user profile, as an New User, on the existing windows system ?.

2. if you do want both systems to see the data after its moved to the HDD,
then that data should be on an separately formatted NTFS partition & which both systems can read from.
Hi Pierre,

1) No I don't need to reinstall and it is my current intention to avoid doing so. I have a situation with profile names I can live with

2) If I continue with the Linux and Win 10 installations I currently have, is there a way I can:

a) copy the existing data from the Win 10 SSD to the Linux HDD
b) Be able to see that data on the Linux HDD from the Win 10 SSD

Thanks as always for having tried to support me on this.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 pm

linuxheid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:18 pm
2) If I continue with the Linux and Win 10 installations I currently have, is there a way I can:

Windwoes cannot see linux extFS partitions without a third-party add-on driver. Paragon have one, and I think they allow you ten days evaluation: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/

Linux can read, write and format Windwoes partitions. Move your linux data to an NTFS partition, then both OSen can see it. This is preferable to using the add-on driver.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:34 am

catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 pm
linuxheid wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:18 pm

Windwoes cannot see linux extFS partitions without a third-party add-on driver. Paragon have one, and I think they allow you ten days evaluation: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/

Linux can read, write and format Windwoes partitions. Move your linux data to an NTFS partition, then both OSen can see it. This is preferable to using the add-on driver.
This is the arrangement I have at the moment. I've created an automount within Linux to the SSD and bookmarked the folder where I keep my data so its not the end of the world.

Thanks all for replying

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 am

that would be the best result, all things being considered.

linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Reinstall of Linux & Windows [solved]

Post by linuxheid » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am

Pierre wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:58 am
that would be the best result, all things being considered.
Thank you Pierre

Return to “Installation & Boot”