problem with installing software

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: problem with installing software

Post by emorrp1 »

By your description, I deduce that you're runnning Linux Mint 5 Elyssa. If you want more up-to-date software, you should install a more up-do-date distribution, e.g. Mint 7 Gloria, which includes blender v2.48 and php v5.2.6 PHP 5.3.0 is so bleeding-edge that it's not even packaged yet, so if you really must have the goto feature, you'll need to compile and install from source. My advice would be to write your code without a goto, as it's really bad programming practice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: problem with installing software

Post by emorrp1 »

Each version of mint/ubuntu uses its own set of repositories with software which is packaged and tested to work well with the installed system. Anything you use outside the included repositories is not considered stable, and not supported since it hasn't been verified. However everything in linux is a choice, including the option to ignore any warnings I give you and try out unstable software. As for goto: www.lmgtfy.com/?q=goto+bad the gist is that there's almost always a better way to do what you want without damaging the code's maintainability.

Return to “Installation & Boot”