Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
k5nwa
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie Multi Hard Disk Install

Post by k5nwa »

I have a i7 PC with 24 GB of RAM and with Windows 10 of which I sick of so I plan to install Mint Linux 19.2, I have the following Hard Disk on the PC and my idea for their use. At present I have Windows 10 and Linux Mint installed but I thinking of eliminating Windows 10 altogether and use all the drives for a clean Mint Linux install.

480 GB SSD Mounted as the root
220 GB SSD Mounted on /usr
2 TB Hard Disk Not sure where it would be useful so maybe remove it or mounted on a folder for extra data storage.
3 TB Hard Disk Mounted for /home

Does that layout seem reasonable or should I do it some other way?

Right now I'm experimenting so I have the following setup;

480 GB SSD for Windows 10 drive C
2 TB Hard drive for Windows D: Drive
200 GB for Linux root
3 TB Hard Disk for /home

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cecil - k5nwa
Cecil - k5nwa

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newbie Multi Hard Disk Install

Post by Larry78723 »

Cecil, I think you're going to waste a lot of space. I would install LM on the 480GB drive, both / and /home. If you have any data from windows that you want to keep, you can mount that after the install. You can also mount a /data partition if you need it. I've been using LM for 4 years and still have only used 150GB of a 400GB /home partition and 15GB of my 50GB / partition.

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

k5nwa wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm

480 GB SSD Leave it as windows until you are positive you want to dump it for linux.
220 GB SSD 45-50 gig for / ext4 , the rest for /home ext4
2 TB Hard Disk Also leave this for windows until you are sure
3 TB Hard Disk 1 TB ext4 /media/username/storage for linux and 2TB windows partition for when you decide to part ways with windows so you can copy stuff over from the windows drives to save. Then when your sure you can format and do whatever with the other 2 drives.

Cecil - k5nwa
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

k5nwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by k5nwa »

Interesting, my previous Linux install used the whole 220 GB drive for / and before I formatted and re-installed the whole thing I only had 5% left not a good place to be that is why I'm thinking of using the whole 480 GB drive instead. Right now I use the whole 220 GB for / and the 3 TB drive for /home. After installing a few applications 15% of the / drive is in use but I need a few more applications but not too many.

As far as Windows goes I have an image of the boot drive and all the data has been backed up so I can restore back if I want to but I don't, right now I have 5 i7 computers with Windows 10 all but one will eventually be switched to Linux.
Cecil - k5nwa

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

k5nwa wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 am
Interesting, my previous Linux install used the whole 220 GB drive for / and before I formatted and re-installed the whole thing I only had 5% left not a good place to be
Just a wild guess but did you have Timeshift snapshots saving to root? I can't see 209GB being used in root unless Timeshift was filling it up.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

k5nwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by k5nwa »

I was thinking about it today and came to the same conclusion that the space was being eaten by the auto backup feature.

Where would be a good place to put the backups or should I turn it off or should it be turned off and done manually once in while?

Thanks

Cecil - k5nwa
Cecil - k5nwa

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

With all the disk space you have, set up a separate partition for Timeshift snapshots. I have a 100GB partition for it. Once a week for backups is more than enough and there's no reason to keep more than 5 snapshots.

k5nwa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by k5nwa »

For now I made my final install, I'm now working on setting up Linux with all the apps and gadgets I need.

I ended using the following which turns out to be a waste of space, but for now I need to move on, other PCs will profit from my learning journey;

240 GB SSD mounted a "/"
512 GB Hard disk mounted as "/usr" this turned out to be a waste of Disk space as it's only 3% used. This drive is part of a 3 TB drive.
2300 GB for "/home" or the rest of the 3 TB drive.

This is wasteful as most of the 500 GB "/usr" drive is not used and since the "/" drive after turning auto-backup off is still mostly unused. With a 6% usage of the 240 GB SSD after installing a large variety of additional applications. In future PCs I would do things differently.

I would do the following which is not as much as wasteful;

240 or 120 GB SSD for "/", I have several 120 GB SSD drives as spares and in any case they are dirt cheap and have way more space than what is needed, Linux is not the Hard Disk hog that Windows 10 is. Most of my PCs have a 480 GB SSD installed which is enough for Windows, but a waste with Linux but I'll let it be, no need to be tearing PCs apart so I can exchange the SSD drive.

3 TB Hard disk for "/home".

I've had Linux install in some PC for years but not seriously used it so now I have a lot to learn.
Cecil - k5nwa

Return to “Installation & Boot”