Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
aabfm1973
Level 1
Level 1

Problems installing in i7-10510 with SSD and Intel Optane

Post by aabfm1973 »

Hi,
I've just bought an ASUS ZenBook i7-10510U, 16GB, 1TB SSD with Intel Optane.
I've tried several approaches but always end up with the same problems:
- can't seem to find SSD (unless turn from Intel Optane to AHCI inside the SATA BIOS setup but then Windows 10 won't boot);
- low resolution and software rendering;
- no mouse (at least the trackpad, having to connect an old wired mouse);
- no wifi;
- keyboard backlight doesn't work either (I know this is a detail but having to work quite often in low light environments this is kind of handy).
Is this Kernel related? I've tried to install it from the LM live CD but without success.
In case this is Kernel related, would it be possible to update the LiveCD.
Will LM 19.3 due this Christmas sort out this problems?
I've been with Linux for at least 6 years now, always the Mint distro, and, although I have a couple of Windows programs for which I do need Windows, I do need Mint on my machine.
Thanks in advance. :(

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Problems installing in i7-10510 with SSD and Intel Optane

Post by smurphos »

So you have to switch to AHCI for the Mint Installer to see the SSD - there are apparently ways and means to of getting Windows to accept that change if you want to retain windows - e.g via a quick google search - https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/ar ... de-to-ahci

Everything else is kernel related - the 19.2 ISO ships with a 4.15 kernel which will be too old for your cutting edge hardware which has got a processor released in the last couple of months. Is it Intel graphics or does it have a discrete graphics card?

I would hold fire a few weeks and give the Mint 19.3 beta live iso a test once released. That is planned to ship with the 5.0.x kernel which hopefully sort out at least some of your issues. The 5.3 kernel is also available after install.

In the meantime you can research switching Windows to and from AHCI mode. :wink: You could also give the Ubuntu 18.04.3 ISO a spin in a live environment. That one does have the 5.0.x kernel so you can check what the kernel does/doesn't fix for your hardware.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

aabfm1973
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aabfm1973 »

Quick reply: Intel UHD

aabfm1973
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aabfm1973 »

Apologies for the delay.
Another piece of info: This is a Samsung PM981 Polaris 1TB M.2 NGFF PCIe Gen3 x4, NVME Solid state drive SSD, OEM (2280) MZVLB1T0HALR-00000

aabfm1973
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aabfm1973 »

Using Kernel 5.3 (latest Ubuntu and latest Mint releases) everything but the SSD is recognized.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

aabfm1973 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:12 am
Using Kernel 5.3 (latest Ubuntu and latest Mint releases) everything but the SSD is recognized.
Smurphos told you what was needed.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post the following reports. Here is how to generate the reports and post them:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the commands

Code: Select all

lspci

Code: Select all

sudo dmraid -Er 
Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard. Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

Return to “Installation & Boot”