Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Dual Monitor set up not working

Post by colski »

I have two monitors connected to my computer. (One on the vga port of my motherboard and another on a graphics card - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti).

When I was running the live Linuxmint USB both monitors were working ok.

Upon install, only one monitor is being recognised by LM (the one connected to the vga port on my motherboard). My best monitor is connected to an installed graphics card and that is not being seen and/or activated by LinuxMint.

I have done all the updates via the Update Manager. I have also gone into Driver Manager and selected the driver LM recommends which is nvidia-driver-435 (recommended).

I've rebooted etc but only one screen is still being used, and even that screen is said by Linuxmint to be unknown vga.

In case it helps, here is the Terminal output from the command: inxi -SMCGx

Code: Select all

colin@colin-asus2:~$ inxi -SMCGx
System:
Host: colin-asus2 Kernel: 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A78L-M/USB3 v: Rev X.0x
serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1503 date: 11/14/2012
CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: AMD FX-6300 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer
L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 42188
Speed: 1406 MHz min/max: 1400/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1696 2: 1720
3: 1405 4: 1406 5: 1406 6: 1406
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RS780L [Radeon 3000] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon
v: kernel bus ID: 01:05.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] vendor: Gigabyte
driver: nvidia v: 435.21 bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6
driver: ati,modesetting,nouveau,nvidia,radeon unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-70-generic LLVM 8.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes
colin@colin-asus2:~$ 

Can anyone tell me why only one monitor is working and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Colin

UPDATE:
-------------
In the minutes after posting this I went back into the Driver Manager and selected a different driver:

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open-source) to test this one out and it asked me to reboot so I did.

When I rebooted it made no difference. Only the monitor connected to the vga was recognised.

So I went back into the driver manager screen again with a view to changing it back to the recommended driver and this time I was unable to select any of the circular check boxes and at the bottom of the screen is said "Continue using a manually installed driver" and this is what is selected and it won't let me select anything else!!!

FURTHER UPDATE
------------------------------
It doesn't solve the problem of only seeing one monitor, but I was able to reselect the recommended driver (nvidia-driver-435 (recommended) by removing the drivers I had installed by using the Synaptic Package Manager and then letting the Driver Manger update its cache again.

But I still can only see and use one of my monitors. LM isn't even seeing that the second one exists in the Display modification screen, even when I click on the Detect Displays button.

Help please!
Last edited by colski on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Dual Monitor set up not working

Post by Larry78723 »

Try this:
Open a terminal and run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-410 nvidia-prime nvidia-dkms-410 nvidia-settings
It should get your video card working.
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

Thanks Larry for the reply. I haven't yet done what you suggested because here is an update in case it changes your recomendation:

After doing some googling, I found an article that suggested checking BIOS and seeing if there is a monitor or graphics setting that may be affecting things. In the BIOS for my motherboard is an Internal Graphics setting called Primary Video Controller.

The one that was selected said IGFX-GFX0-GPP-PCI

There are other choices namely:

GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI
GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI
PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX

I know nothing about this except that I recall graphics cards are related to PCI or GPP or GFX0 and I believe that IGFX is the onboard graphics choice (vga for this motherboard) and it looks like these choices are the boot order in some way. So I chose the latter

PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX

Upon booting, the better screen attached to my graphics card is now showing, but NOW the screen attached to the vga port on the mother board is not working!

I tried all the other choices too and only if the IGFX is the first choice is the second monitor connected to the onboard vga showing up (but this stops the first monitor on the graphics card from showing up).

I wonder now if there is some driver issue that in linux the nvidia driver won't also see a monitor cobnnected to the vga port of the mother board.

Here is the latest output from: inxi -SMCGx

colin@colin-asus2:~$ inxi -SMCGx
System:
Host: colin-asus2 Kernel: 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A78L-M/USB3 v: Rev X.0x
serial: <root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1503 date: 11/14/2012
CPU:
Topology: 6-Core model: AMD FX-6300 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Bulldozer
L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 42189
Speed: 1402 MHz min/max: 1400/3500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1405 2: 1404
3: 1406 4: 1406 5: 1406 6: 1391
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] vendor: Gigabyte
driver: nvidia v: 435.21 bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21
direct render: Yes
colin@colin-asus2:~$

This is now not even recognising the onboard vga port of the motherboard.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I would try larry's suggestion of updating the drivers for the video card. It's a long time since I have set my machines up, but I have two systems that are dual monitor and, IIRC the nVidea drivers did enable dual monitor setup on one of them.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

I've looked long and hard at trying to resolve this with my limited knowledge but no luck yet. Still only one screen is visible.

It seems I can access either the built in vga graphics of the motherboard or the 1050 graphics card, but not both at the same time.

The Driver Manager seems a bit buggy in that sometimes I select a driver but in Terminal it still shows another even after rebooting. Also the Driver Maanger screen sometimes gets hung up on a manually selected choice and won't let you change anything else. The only way I new to handle this was to use Timeshift and reinstall a before point.

The only other thing I read somewhere that may be related is that when using an nvidia card & driver that it only works with displays that are connected to that card.

I will need to buy a vga to hdmi cable adapter and see what happens when I run my second vga monitor on the graphics card which now only has free hdmi ports.

:-(

It is disappointing that LM and/or nvidia can't get two monitors working side by side very easily. My soon to be cremated Windows 7 does this with no problems. I did note that Linus Thorsvald made a point of publically attacking Nvidia for its lack of open source willingness etc...
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am
I would try larry's suggestion of updating the drivers for the video card. It's a long time since I have set my machines up, but I have two systems that are dual monitor and, IIRC the nVidia drivers did enable dual monitor setup on one of them.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

Update
---------
In case it is of use to anyone in the future:

I couldn't get two monitors working using the onboard vga connector for one monitor and a separate graphics card for the second monitor.

I did get two monitors working when both monitors were connected to the one graphics card (It has several monitor connections). I did have to buy a vga to hdmi adaptor so that my old (but great) vga monitor could attach to the graphics card.
ploist13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ploist13 »

The same problem for me... :(
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

ploist, please start a thread of your own. In all probability you have different equipment requiring a different solution. Also, please read the thread "How to get help" at the top of this thread listing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”