Toshiba C650D: Live Mint Works - Installed Mint Fails!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Toshiba C650D: Live Mint Works - Installed Mint Fails!

Post by darethehair »

Hello Folks!

I am a long-time Linux user (especially Mint), and I ran into a problem that I have never run into before: Linux Mint (specifically LMDE) boots and runs just fine on an older Toshiba C650D laptop, but after successfully installing *multiple* versions of Linux Mint -- they all end up failing after running for a few seconds/minutes. Typically the screen becomes corrupted, a squeal sounds on the speaker, and the computer itself locks up. For those few times I have actually seen a message on the console, it says "Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?".

From lots of Googling, the best thing I could try in this situation was to boot with 'ACPI=OFF', which tends to help a bit, but eventually leads to a complete lockup.

I may have to give up on this crazy Windows 7 laptop as far as Linux is concerned (I have never had to do this before!) -- but even more so I am puzzled as to why a *LIVE* version of Linux would behave well, but an *INSTALLED* version would not?

One of the last things I tried was to plug in a USB stick containing an up-to-date running version of LMDE -- but in this case I never even get to the login screen -- which tells me that my problem is not just that I am using an 'old' version of LMDE.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Toshiba C650D: Live Mint Works - Installed Mint Fails!

Post by Larry78723 »

From your "live" boot please run the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd
and post the results.

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.3.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.8 (Gtk 3.22.11-1) Distro: LMDE 3 (cindy)
Machine:   Device: laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite C650D v: PSC0YC-02K026
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC
           BIOS: Insyde v: 1.50 date: 04/07/2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD C-50 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 3990
           clock speeds: max: 1000 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.19.2 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.9.0-8-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
           driver: rtl8192ce port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet
           driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 350.8GB (5.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK3265GS size: 320.1GB temp: 24C
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Ultra_USB_3.0 size: 30.8GB temp: 0C
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: TSST CDDVDW TS-L633F
           rev: TF01 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.8G used: 12M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 45.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 166 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 548.4/3553.0MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 6.3.0
           Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.3.5

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

My SWAG would be the hard drive. Notice only 1.8 GB of data made it to the drive last time you installed. Don't recall exactly the installed size of LMDE, but would be a couple multiples of that. Installed size for the other desktops is about 8 GB. You can boot a live session and check the SMART data in Disks, but pretty sure all that's going to tell you is that the drive is old, which you already know.

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

pbear wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:19 pm
My SWAG would be the hard drive. Notice only 1.8 GB of data made it to the drive last time you installed. Don't recall exactly the installed size of LMDE, but would be a couple multiples of that. Installed size for the other desktops is about 8 GB. You can boot a live session and check the SMART data in Disks, but pretty sure all that's going to tell you is that the drive is old, which you already know.
Thanks for your ideas! However, I am not sure that your interpretation of the '1.8 GB' is correct in this case. I checked and the Linux partition that I installed into (and currently present) is using about 4.9 GB of a 17 GB partition space (typically, after fresh install, it is around 4.5 GB from my past experience). Your idea that the HD might be (somehow) the cause is worth looking into, and I am examining the SMART data to see if something jumps out at me...

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

As I said, just a SWAG, but based mainly on this in the inxi report:

Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.8G used: 12M (1%) fs: overlay dev: N/A
Plus the other symptoms. Squeals and crashes aren't normal, of course.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

I can't imagine any LM version capable of being installed to a 1.8GB / partition. Please post the results of the following command run in a terminal from your install media:

df -m

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

AFAIK the Toshiba Insyde BIOS is actually an implementation of UEFI, but it may be just specific versions. Are you able to get to the firmware? The behavior you describe is very likely hardware related, so we should probably start checking with the firmware on the motherboard. And while the Live version of a Linux may tend to be a little more "forgiving" WRT hardware, especially video, the actual installation will be strongly influenced by the hardware the installer sees and the drivers available to install.

The video drivers within the Live session appear to be correct for an ATI HD6250, but if it will stay alive long enough you might try to check driver manager for any recommendations.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Larry78723 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:29 pm
I can't imagine any LM version capable of being installed to a 1.8GB / partition. Please post the results of the following command run in a terminal from your install media:

df -m
It is not handy at the minute, but you are correct (see my later post) that the LMDE install is actually using 4.9 GB out of the 17 GB partition. What the '1.8 GB' reference in the 'inxi' output actually means is unknown to me.

darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

jglen490 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:08 pm
AFAIK the Toshiba Insyde BIOS is actually an implementation of UEFI, but it may be just specific versions. Are you able to get to the firmware? The behavior you describe is very likely hardware related, so we should probably start checking with the firmware on the motherboard. And while the Live version of a Linux may tend to be a little more "forgiving" WRT hardware, especially video, the actual installation will be strongly influenced by the hardware the installer sees and the drivers available to install.

The video drivers within the Live session appear to be correct for an ATI HD6250, but if it will stay alive long enough you might try to check driver manager for any recommendations.
I can easily get into the BIOS -- and I don't think it is UEFI -- as the drive is partitioned as MBR (?). I tried tweaking the only 'power management' settings I could find, and it made no difference. As a 'live' boot, I have all the time in the world to fool around with it -- but the installed version gives me very little time to investigate possible video driver suggestions :(.

I am confused and a bit annoyed to have run into this situation, but the laptop is not my own (belongs to my uncle) and I was hoping to make this laptop a lot more usable to him by installing Mint. However, LMDE, and regular MATE/XFCE Mint doesn't work, and neither does Peppermint!

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

darethehair wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:36 pm
I can easily get into the BIOS -- and I don't think it is UEFI
I have a Toshiba L655 with Insyde 2.80 (7/03/2012) (latest available for that model). Definitely BIOS, not UEFI. (Technically, all BIOS of this vintage were UEFI in comparability mode, i.e., BIOS in effect.) By contrast, my HP has Insyde F.48 (notice different numbering scheme), which is UEFI with a CSM option. Back to the Toshiba, apparently uncle's BIOS could be updated (click filter), though no reason to think that will help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”