Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
expplane1
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Mint on a M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Post by expplane1 »

I have installed Mint Mate on my older Dell laptop with no problem. It has the legancy BIOS and a SATA HD. MY new Dell is an Inspiron 15 5593 series with a UEFI BIOS and a 128GB M.2PCIe NVMe SSD. The installation process gets to the partition table which is blank. Shows no partition. This is a common problem with Linux installation processes; guess the worked bees haven't caught up yet with no hardware.
I am about to sell this laptop which is only one week old since the reason I bought it was to dual boot Windows 10 and Mint. I have read the Dell solution to the problem which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Question: had anyone installed Mint on a similar laptop with the above listed hardware and if so how the heck did you do it?
I am VERY FRUSTRATED!
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Installing Mint on a M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pleas post output of

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l;sudo blkid
after booting the live usb.
Last edited by deepakdeshp on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

expplane1 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm
I have installed Mint Mate on my older Dell laptop with no problem. It has the legancy BIOS and a SATA HD. MY new Dell is an Inspiron 15 5593 series with a UEFI BIOS and a 128GB M.2PCIe NVMe SSD. The installation process gets to the partition table which is blank. Shows no partition. This is a common problem with Linux installation processes; guess the worked bees haven't caught up yet with no hardware.
I am about to sell this laptop which is only one week old since the reason I bought it was to dual boot Windows 10 and Mint. I have read the Dell solution to the problem which makes absolutely no sense to me.
Question: had anyone installed Mint on a similar laptop with the above listed hardware and if so how the heck did you do it?
I am VERY FRUSTRATED!
It's not lying to you. If the device has not been partitioned, then there is no partition. That's why the installer allows you to customize storage devices. You can change the partition table to GPT if you want. And then you can lay in one or more partitions onto the device. You can then format any or all of the partitions to whatever filesystem you want and press on with the rest of the installation.

So if the NVME device is going to be you boot drive, then your first partition should be en ESP (also known as EFI), of 100MB - 500MB in size. The remaining partitions should be /, /home, and SWAP (if you desire, or setup an appropriate swap file in /).
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

It's probably set to use the SSD in Intel Optane (RAID) mode. You need to switch it to AHCI in the BIOS for the Mint installer to see the Disc.

If the intention is to dual boot, I understand you may need to tweak the Windows install to allow it to boot in AHCI mode e.g. https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/ar ... de-to-ahci

Also see this thread from this post onwards
viewtopic.php?p=1665465#p1665465
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Installation & Boot”