Grub2 information & Links.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mehimu

Re: Grub2 information & Links.

Post by mehimu »

Many many thanks Fred , for this post. Actually these links are so much helpful. I'll try to enrich my bookmark list. Thanks again Fred .
F.Phoenix

Post by F.Phoenix »

Sorry, I'm not so good with Grub-loaders yet. But I now trying to understand its command syntax, working on multiboot usb, based on grub4dos and found next kernel boot parameters in (linuxmint-17.2-mate-64bit.iso)/boot/grub/grub.cfg:

Code: Select all

linux	/casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=${iso_path} quiet splash --
initrd	/casper/initrd.lz
But there no "cdrom" directory at the disk, "preseed" located at its root. Is it correct parameters? Should I use same things to load from usb -> grub4dos -> linuxmint.iso? Sounds weird... Or maybe that record is like for loading seed after mount distribution disk to /cdrom ?
Nippon

Post by Nippon »

Thanx for the post
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I have a burnt CD of Grub2, but would like to know if it is ok or not.
I lost the grub menu on this computer and could not boot, as described on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=221781&start=20

My Grub2 disc did not recover the system and get the computer to boot. I ended up using the chroot method with success.
Question:
How do I know if the disc I have is worth saving for future use or not? Is there a checksum method? Or an equivalent?
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
westernira

Post by westernira »

GRUB 2 is the default boot loader and manager for Ubuntu since version 9.10 (Karmic Koala). As the computer starts,
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

I`m using Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Cinnamom 64bit & I need something for multi os config grub looks like one of the few available so can someone explain how to
DownLoad install on my PC or provide a link to something easy to understand. Grub has a GUI Correct ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

WinParted wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:23 am Grub has a GUI Correct ?
Yes, and since you have Mint, Grub almost certainly is already installed. Try pressing and holding the Shift key as your machine boots, and it should show up. It looks a bit like this:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WinParted

Post by WinParted »

Yes, almost exactly but it is there but how to install another Linux OS ? Can it be done with GUI or Cmd Line ? Can you explain or point me to doc`s ?
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

If you want to install another OS, the installer will set-up grub for you. The new OS will be first on the list.
I suggest you bookmark this site, read it carefully so you understand what you want to do.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub.html

This site "saved" me many times.
johnsmith101

Post by johnsmith101 »

Thanks for the links.. I'm trying to tweak my GRUB right now..
Last edited by SMG on Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed links from posts.

Return to “Installation & Boot”