Level 5

is 19.3 tricia ready for prime time?

Post by bmike1 »

Is it safe to update yet?
:)~Mikey~(:
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: is 19.3 tricia ready for prime time?

Post by rene »

No. It will cause your computer to explode.
bmike1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bmike1 »

sarcasm? It must be safe then?
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Running Mate with no burps, gurgles, bumps, glitches, bells, whistles, flags or hissy fits. That's even with the computer turned on.
EDIT: Did a clean fresh install
Last edited by JoeBingo on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bmike1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bmike1 »

Thanks, Joe.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

If you were able to immediately recognize that as non-serious then why would you ask in the first place?

Just download it and test it from the live/installer system; it's fine for me on two systems. Your system is a different system, but there's nothing generically wrong with 19.3.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JoeBingo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 pm
Running Mate with no burps, gurgles, bumps, glitches, bells, whistles, flags or hissy fits.
Ok, but what about the OS?

:mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, bmike1.

What are you currently using? Linux Mint 19.2? Desktop environment: Mate, Cinnamon or xfce?
In which way do you plan to upgrade?
+ in-place via Update Manager?
+ by installing Mint 19.3 from scratch?

What kind of answer do you expect to a question which is so general, "Is 19.3 tricia ready for prime time?"
If you ask the Mint developer team their answer will be, "Yes, it is."
If you ask users who have upgraded successfully their answer will be, "Yes, it is."
If you ask users who have reported problems when upgrading or problems experienced on the upgraded systems, then their might be less enthusiastic.

None of us Mint users and forum users will be able to forecast reliably what your personal experience will be when upgrading and later on with your upgraded system.

Trying to give a meaningful answer to your question nonetheless, let me quote the answer, which had been given to a similar question in the announcement thread "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 19.3":
karlchen wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:58 am
LM 19.1 Tessa has been upgraded to LM 19.3 Tricia by now.
LM 19.3 xfce "tricia" is up and running. :D
The whole, not too exciting story can be found here: Upgrade to LM 19.3 xfce from LM19.1 xfce - Bye bye to Tessa after 6 months only
With respect to upgrading [...] to LM 19.3 Tricia, I do not see any reason why the process should not succeed. But as always in real life: you never can be sure, before you have tried it. :)
Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

catweazel wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:06 pm
JoeBingo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 pm
Running Mate with no burps, gurgles, bumps, glitches, bells, whistles, flags or hissy fits.
Ok, but what about the OS?

:mrgreen:
The ONLY thing I ran into was speaker "pops" on my desktop (when shutdown, startup or initiating any soundfile local or on the web). Lapbook audio is fine ... prolly different audio hardware configuration. On the desktop I disabled audio power save, which was disabled by default in the previous 4.15 kernel, and that corrected the "problem".
bmike1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bmike1 »

thanks. I upgraded with no problems except youtube sound still does not work on recent kernels
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My lappy is running fine, have just upgraded my "server" and it hung on the mint logo- a quick power refresh and it is now working fine. So, my answer would be YES! It's performing as well, if not, slightly better than before. I certainly have not gone "WOW - this is amazing", as far a I am concerned, it does what the packet says, and I've not noticed any real differences, apart from the new logo, yet.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

bmike1 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:59 pm
thanks. I upgraded with no problems except youtube sound still does not work on recent kernels
delete everything in .cache folder, run pulseaudio -k <<< wait a few seconds , then logout/in or reboot
bmike1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bmike1 »

Nope... didn't work
bmike1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bmike1 »

there were, however, a couple of files that would not delete
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

bmike1 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:10 pm
Nope... didn't work
Close the browser, delete the files in ~/.config/pulse then run pulseaudio -k in the terminal. Open the browser and test.

Of course, check the youtube volume control as well when the mouse is inside the player window.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

My experience, the suggested upgrade route from 19.2 resulted in a number of problems related to the sound software (pulse audio, audacity, vlc) resulting in system freeze. However after a fresh install all seems to be working well.

I'd suggest adding gparted to the standard install, this is an invaluable admin tool.
GIMP would be nice also, the Pix application lacks an option for saving images with lower file size (essential for web/server efficiency)

The only negative on my setup is the Grub boot screen. It looks pretty but on a dual screen (laptop + external monitor) but there is no background image. I have a slowly revealing menu for which navigation / selection is a complete mystery. I've added a couple of additional boot options and sometimes, using the down arrow, I can see them, but I cannot work out how to select them.

NB: the MX OS installed for testing deals with Grub very efficiently, so much so that I have used its Grub as my boot option.

Overall, aside from the Grub issue, the latest Mint XFCE looks great and works well.
Last edited by oliverjames on Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

The only major thing I've noticed is that LM 19.3 shuts down quite a bit faster than any of the previous 19.x versions, at least on my own machine.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Derek_S.

You do not tell what kind of machine you use, old or new and fast or slow. This might make the difference.
On Mint 19.3 the default timeout, which systemd will wait for processes to terminate when told to do so, has been drastically reduced from 90 seconds (this is really long) down to 10 seconds (this may be really short on old and slow machines).

You might be interested in this post, Systemd DefaultTimeoutStopSec Re-Adjusted. You will learn which setting precisely has been changed on Mint 19.3 and how to modify it for your system, if needed. - You do not have to configure the same timeout as me.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello @ karlchen - Thanks for the reply and for the explanation. Looks like I didn't read the LM 19.3 release notes in their entirety. :oops:

My machine is an old Lenovo Thinkpad T400, which has been running Linux Mint Cinnamon without issues since LM 15 Olivia, and I haven't experienced any problems so far with 19.3. If I do have any issues with shutdown, it's good to know I can /etc/systemd/system.conf.d/60_custom.conf and make adjustments if necessary.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Derek_S wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 am
The only major thing I've noticed is that LM 19.3 shuts down quite a bit faster than any of the previous 19.x versions, at least on my own machine.
you and me both, 19.3 shuts down faster than any other version of Mint that I have tried.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”