Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint 19.3 on old Macbook - GRUB error before boot menu appears

Post by jonuk76 »

I installed Mint 19.3 x64 Cinnamon alongside Mac OS X Lion on my old 2008 Macbook. After some initial problems (very slow boot, problems recovering from sleep) that I appear to have solved by updating the kernel to version 5.3.24, a problem that remains (it was there from the start) is that on first loading GRUB, I get this error message which stays on screen for about 10 seconds before the GRUB boot menu appears:

Code: Select all

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
This is all it says. The boot menu then eventually appears and I'm able to load Mint from it. There are also entries for OS X 32 bit and 64 bit in the menu, but they don't work - they crash on loading immediately. I'm still able to load OS X by holding down the Option key (Alt) and selecting Mac HD as the boot device rather than "EFI Boot", which presumably bypasses GRUB.

The setup is using GRUB in EFI mode. I've found similar problems online with other laptop models and some say it is to do with specific BIOS options that you can set. In this case there are no BIOS options to change as it's a Mac.

Thanks in advance for any help
Last edited by jonuk76 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 19.3 on old Macbook - GRUB error before boot menu appears

Post by fabien85 »

Hi,
are these the specs of the machine : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... specs.html ?
there is only 1GB of RAM by default, and the graphic card is integrated. So you may find that Cinnamon is a bit too much for the machine. It should run better with the Mate or Xfce editions.

That said, coming to your problem, please open a terminal, copy and paste the following commands :

sudo efibootmgr --verbose
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
(if you type, it's a lower case L in -l)
and post here the output between code tags (button </> above the typing area)

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

Hi Fabien, thanks for taking a look at this. It's actually the 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo model which I upgraded to 4 Gb RAM, but it is using the weak Intel GMA 3100 graphics. Nonetheless it is actually running Cinnamon quite well I think! Here is the output from those commands.

BootCurrent: 0000
BootOrder: 0000,0080
Boot0000* ubuntu	HD(1,GPT,02e04ba9-f4f4-4e86-9cd0-9070ef0f3fbd,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
Boot0080* Mac OS X	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,274385cb-9348-4383-b67c-4a565c188937,0x64028,0x665f0638)
Boot0081* Mac OS X	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(1,GPT,000049e8-23b8-0000-c53b-000036250000,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\APPLE\FIRMWARE\SmcFlasher.efi)".-.w.v. .-.L.o.a.d.A.p.p. .e.f.i.-.a.p.p.l.e.-.p.a.y.l.o.a.d.0.-.d.a.t.a. .-.r.e.s.t.a.r.t."...
Boot0082* 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(2,GPT,274385cb-9348-4383-b67c-4a565c188937,0x64028,0x665f0638)
BootFFFF* 	PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x2)/Sata(0,0,0)/HD(1,GPT,02e04ba9-f4f4-4e86-9cd0-9070ef0f3fbd,0x28,0x64000)/File(\EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi)

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.3

Partition table scan:
  MBR: hybrid
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with hybrid MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sda: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
Model: ST1000LM014-1EJ1
Sector size (logical/physical): 512/4096 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): DDCEC584-B001-45DD-8E02-EB22204575C2
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 2061 sectors (1.0 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640      1717913183   819.0 GiB   AF00  Macintosh HD
   3      1717913184      1719182727   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD
   4      1719183360      1953523711   111.7 GiB   8300  

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Hum the output looks mostly normal.
Well you have a stray NVRAM entry for SMcFlasher.efi (did you have to manually for a SMC update ?), but it's not in the boot order.

Unless you have the boot entry (0000) to launch shim/grub, but not the actual file.
Please post the output of

sudo ls -R /boot/efi
If the file is correctly present, it could be a problem with the CMOS battery. That battery powers the NVRAM, which contains the boot order among other. When it runs out of power, a common symptom is boot problems like yours.
It is usually a quite normal battery that you can easily find a replacement for at the supermarket. Have a look at www.ifixit.com to find out where it is located, which type it is and how to replace it.

Another thing you can try :
correct the Hybrid MBR that was created by Apple (probably because you used Disk Utility in macOS to make the partitions for the Linux install). That is, convert back the disk to pure GPT. Here is a reference : first answer on https://askubuntu.com/questions/1058263 ... ion-scheme.
The steps are

sudo gdisk /dev/sda
x
n
w
x enters the expert menu, n converts the disk to pure GPT (changes are still only in memory), w write the changes to disk (after a final confirmation).
The hybrid MBR could be a cause of the boot delay, in case the firmware tries to load the bootloader part of the MBR, then fails, and defaults to reinitializing the EFI boot order.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

:!:
If the device is open anyway due to battery problems, I would insert a new SSD and start the Mac from a DVD with a burnt Mint ISO on it.
Simply press key C until the device starts from the DVD.

Don't ask me why, but it works.

At worst, reset the PRAM: keep P + R + Command + Option pressed on startup until the bell rings 3 times.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-reset-m ... am-2260839

If you put the Original HD in a FireWire case, you can start Lion externally, by pressing the Option key. Unlike USB, it also works reliable...!

Note:

If it's a hybrid Mac, the max. built-in RAM is limited to 3 GB. Anyway, the 32-bit version of Linux Mint runs properly on a device of this age group. In my opinion, wanting to circumvent these restrictions borders on cruelty to animals, whereby as a homo whatever I see myself as an animal anyway...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

I'm not sure what the SMC entries are. I've got a vague recollection of installing a firmware update some years ago, when the laptop was supported by Apple, but as far as I recall it just involved double clicking something and rebooting the system. The main partition would have been shrunk by Disk Tool. It used to dual boot Lion & Snow Leopard (I kind of liked Snow Leopard and it ran much smoother until I upgraded the RAM to 4Gb).

It's sat in a cupboard since I got a newer Macbook but I'm now looking to gift it to someone who needs a basic laptop hence installing Mint, which is going to be more current and secure than an unsupported version of OS X. To install Mint I simply deleted the Snow Leopard partition using GParted, and installed Mint into the free space created using the default options. Ideally I'd leave more space for Mint and less for OS X, but it's not finalised yet. Once I work out how to get it working well, I'll probably do a clean install before I give it away.

jon@jon-MacBook:~$ sudo ls -R /boot/efi
[sudo] password for jon:         
/boot/efi:
EFI

/boot/efi/EFI:
APPLE  BOOT  ubuntu

/boot/efi/EFI/APPLE:
EXTENSIONS

/boot/efi/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS:
Firmware.scap

/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT:
BOOTX64.EFI  fbx64.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu:
BOOTX64.CSV  fw  fwupx64.efi  grub.cfg	grubx64.efi  mmx64.efi	shimx64.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/fw:
I'll wait on what you think about the contents of the efi file before deciding whether to get rid of the hybrid MBR.

Cheers :)

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

In my opinion, wanting to circumvent these restrictions borders on cruelty to animals
Last edited by absque fenestris on Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

Yeah I read it the first time but I don't understand. What do you mean by that?

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

jonuk76 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:05 pm
Yeah I read it the first time but I don't understand. What do you mean by that?
For marketing reasons, Apple fixed the cheap machines to 32-bit in 2006 & 2007 in order to sell the more expensive Macs as 64-bit machines. This can be avoided as a hobbyist... as I said, it borders on cruelty to animals. If you accept 32-bit and 3 GB memory, you live lightheartedly and you can use my instruction as described above. But you can also torture yourself.

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

Ah I see. Some of the 2006 ones really were 32 bit only (Core Solo/Duo (Yonah) processors) while others were (as I understand it) hampered with a 32 bit EFI. This one is fully 64 bit with 64 bit EFI and can (unofficially) be used with 6 Gb (2 Gb module + 4 Gb) but official maximum (Apple's spec) is 4 Gb. The reason, so I've been told, it was limited to OS X Lion (while slightly later models, e.g. 2009 Unibody Macbooks) can go all the way up to recent Mac OS versions with unofficial patches, is to do with the Intel GPU not being compatible. MBP's of the same age had discrete graphics and therefore don't have the same limitation.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

jonuk76 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 pm
Ah I see. Some of the 2006 ones really were 32 bit only (Core Solo/Duo (Yonah) processors) while others were (as I understand it) hampered with a 32 bit EFI. This one is fully 64 bit with 64 bit EFI and can (unofficially) be used with 6 Gb (2 Gb module + 4 Gb) but official maximum (Apple's spec) is 4 Gb. The reason, so I've been told, it was limited to OS X Lion (while slightly later models, e.g. 2009 Unibody Macbooks) can go all the way up to recent Mac OS versions with unofficial patches, is to do with the Intel GPU not being compatible. MBP's of the same age had discrete graphics and therefore don't have the same limitation.
See - exactly your feedback is part of the cruelty to animals.
I have no insight into the exact product manufacturing. I suspect that cheaper parts were built into the cheaper devices. In reality, (maybe) these are all 64-bit machines. So anarchisic tinkering may or may not work. But anarchists sometimes pay too little attention to their personal health, which brings us back to the torture of animals. :mrgreen:

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

Well I like to tinker, but ultimately this will be someone elses to enjoy, so I hope not to inflict too much cruelty :lol: For what it's worth, I'm not even sure how to install a 32 bit version. The 32 bit .iso doesn't appear to have an EFI directory on it, and when I went to try to install a 32 bit version to it (an attempt to solve an earlier issue I was having - 5 minute boot times) the Mac couldn't boot the 32 bit version from a USB key. I gave up on that and tried something else.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

jonuk76 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:45 pm
Well I like to tinker, but ultimately this will be someone elses to enjoy, so I hope not to inflict too much cruelty :lol: For what it's worth, I'm not even sure how to install a 32 bit version. The 32 bit .iso doesn't appear to have an EFI directory on it, and when I went to try to install a 32 bit version to it (an attempt to solve an earlier issue I was having - 5 minute boot times) the Mac couldn't boot the 32 bit version from a USB key. I gave up on that and tried something else.
OK, the old anarchist answers: it doesn't matter at all.

Just burn a 32-bit ISO onto a DVD. On the Mac itself the Finder does that, on Windows I would have to look up how. For convenience, I used Toast on the Mac.
Insert the DVD into the slot and start up.
If the DVD thinks it needs to come out, you just put it back in...

Somehow I get the strange feeling all this could be interpreted very, very wrong in times of PC... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Relative
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Relative »

Wasn't aware of this thread, but just posted similar solution under topic "Salvage an old MacBook" in 'Other Topics'. In my case, I didn't attempt to keep any Apple software and just installed Mint 19.3 XFCE.

It does work and maybe will solve your problem.

Mike
Lenovo T430, Lenovo L430, Dell N7110, Toshiba A215, Fujitsu C2220, Dell Inspiron 8600, Raspberry pi 3b+ and pi 4, Old home-built P4 desktop and recently rescued a MacBook 2,1 with Mint Cinnamon 19.3 and MacBook Pro2,1 with same 64-bit software.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Relative wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Wasn't aware of this thread, but just posted similar solution under topic "Salvage an old MacBook" in 'Other Topics'. In my case, I didn't attempt to keep any Apple software and just installed Mint 19.3 XFCE.

It does work and maybe will solve your problem.

Mike
By the way, it's similar on PC's. Please see my signature. I fished both devices out of the waste...

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

The machine does have a 64-bit EFI, see the specs here, and it's backed by the fact that the machine does boot to Mint after the delay, and it's booted in EFI mode (since the OP can use efibootmgr).
In my humble opinion, I would just persist and solve the boot delay.
The content of the EFI partition is perfectly fine, so all files of a correct install are there.

I think I understand what happens, and the solution is to replace the CMOS battery.

The first piece of the puzzle is in the content of the EFI partition, there is this:

/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT:
BOOTX64.EFI  fbx64.efi
EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi is the location of the fallback bootloader. So if the firmware does not know what to do, it loads that.
In the same directory you have fbx64.efi, which is a EFI program whose purpose is explained here : https://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/fallback.html
The second piece of the puzzle is this message

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.
At first I thought this message was coming from the Apple firmware. This would be strange because Macs are normally pretty silent when having problems, they tend to communicate more by beeps, lights or screen signs which are rather cryptic. After an internet search, I'm now 90% sure this message instead comes from fbx64.efi.
So what's happening (I think) :
* CMOS battery is weak or dead, so the boot order gets lost at every boot.
* the firmware does not have a boot order, so it boots the fallback EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi (which is really shim), which chainloads fbx64.efi
* fbx64.efi prints out the forementioned message and proceeds to recreate the boot order
* it finds BOOTX64.CSV in the EFI/ubuntu/ directory so it creates a boot entry for shimx64.efi, and since it's the only thing it finds, it then chainloads it
* EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi chainloads to EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi , i.e. grub which presents you with the grub menu from which you can load Mint. (grub does not really know how to launch macOS, that's another problem we will need to fix later)
* all of this takes some time to do, so that's why you get the ~10 second delay.
In fact I would consider you lucky. First lucky that fbx64.efi is there and makes its job correctly, and second lucky that it takes only ~10 seconds. (I have the experience of a Mac where the NVRAM was corrupted and was recreated by the firmware itself, and it took several minutes)

So in short, my opinion is that you need to replace the CMOS battery.
After you have replaced it, boot the machine. The first boot will go as the previous ones, with the 10s delay, the message etc. But then the boot order will be stored and will not get lost. So the next boot afterwards should get you more directly to the grub menu without delay.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Update:
I looked at ifixit.com for guides on the battery replacement. It seems to be what is called the PRAM battery. And it seems quite difficult to replace. You have to dismount nearly the whole laptop.

I dont know if you want to do that, I would understand if you did not. In that case I see two solutions :

* Pay. Send it for repair at the Apple store.
Before that, you would better check what happens if you try to have the machine boot macOS by default. So boot pressing alt/option, select the entry for macOS and boot it. Once in macOS, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk, unlock, select the macOS disk and hit reboot. After such a warm reboot, the machine may go back directly to macOS. Now shutdown completely, let the machine unplugged a few minutes, and boot. If I'm right, the machine should have lost the boot order, and you should get the usual "System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults." message etc. If so, you have confirmed that the machine cannot store the boot order, so send it to Apple with that message.

* Dirty workaround.
It will not get rid of all of the delay, but part of it. You want to install refind at the fall back location (EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi) so that it becomes your default boot manager. The advantage is that refind is (in my opinion) a much better boot manager than grub, and it allows you to boot macOS very nicely.
Steps :
- boot to macOS. e.g. by pressing alt/option etc
- download refind, unpack the archive, open a terminal and change directory with cd to where you unpacked refind (if you do not know UNIX commands and what the previous sentence means, tell me)
- now launch the refind-install script (manual page here), telling it to install at the fallback location on the EFI partition

./refind-install --usedefault /dev/disk0s1
you will need to enter your password (on an account that has administrative rights)
(/dev/disk0s1 is the EFI partition in the macOS syntax, assuming you have a single hard drive)
- shutdown. Reboot. You should get to the refind screen, where you will have an entry to boot macOS, an entry to boot grubx64.efi, and maybe an entry to boot Mint directly (something like "Boot /Boot/vmlinuz-blabla from X GB volume"). Check if the entries work and report here
This will get rid of the part of the delay due to fbx64.efi doing its job and then chainloading shimx64.efi : instead you will directly launch refind. It will not get rid of the delay before that, when the firmware finds out that it does not have a boot order, looks around what's available, finds EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi and decides to launch it.

jonuk76
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonuk76 »

Hi Fabien. Thanks for you replies, it's much appreciated. The PRAM battery looks a bit of a sod to change. I have in the past partly stripped the laptop down to give the heatsink a really good clean and change the thermal paste, but it was not a job I enjoyed! All those tiny low profile connectors for things on the board are extremely delicate and I managed to destroy at least one (for a thermal probe or something) which I had to bodge back in place with tape. I will probably try something else before taking on that job again :|

So I shall try installing ReFind and report back.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Yeah, changing that battery seems to be pretty difficult, a step above changing the heatsink.
I probably would not do it myself if there was an alternative, that's why I thought of the refind workaround. Tell us if that works.

Pulegium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pulegium »

Fascinating thread .
This past summer I installed 64bit Mint 19.2 on an almost identical MacBook 4.1 and encountered the same booting issues as jonuk76 .
I installed Snow Leopard in a small partition but let Mint have the bulk of the new 1TB HDD .
I installed rEFInd but the "BootOrder not found" message persisted ( I was ignorant of Fabien85's possible solutions at the time ) .
As it added only a few seconds to boot up I decided it was just " one of those things " you get when you try to introduce Linux to less than compliant hardware and the owner of the computer would be perfectly happy with it as is :wink: so left it alone .
I was just proud that I had got the isight camera working and cured the initial 8 minute boot time following Smurfos's instructions on this thread viewtopic.php?f=46&t=289092&hilit=macbook&start=40
I'd really like to try some of Fabien85's solutions but unfortunately no longer have access to the device . Then again I might have the same model on my desk in the near future so I'll get back to this thread with results then perhaps .
The PRAM battery on said machine seemed to be working OK , still keeping correct time .
I opened the laptop to clean out all the dust and change the thermal paste but balked at those tiny brittle thermal probe connectors . Do they pop up or slide out ? As it wasn't my machine I was not going to risk trying . At least the fan is dust free now .
Regarding the Apple store , I think the "Geniuses" might just laugh you out of the shop if you brought them a mac of this age for repair . Other repair shops would charge you more than the device is worth . Fixing these things is a labour of love .
Last edited by Pulegium on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Installation & Boot”