[SOLVED] Can't install because mmx64.efi missing. Solutions posted here not working.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sladyrko
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't install because mmx64.efi missing. Solutions posted here not working.

Post by sladyrko »

Hello everyone.
Today I decided to do a clean install of Mint 19.3.
I am not really new to linux and most of the times I fix my problem on my own or reading solution on the net.
This one, I can't fix it.
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found

Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found

Failed to start MokManager: Not Found

Somethinghas gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed : Not Found
This is what I get when I boot to the USB.

My laptop is ACER (yeah I know...)

My Secure Boot is Off.

I've tried every solution out there with no luck. Tried xfce, mate, cinnamon all of them gave me the same thing which was expected because the core is the same.

Tried other distros to see what's going on. Peppermint installed fine. Manjaro installed fine. Xubuntu installed fine. The other distribution that gave me the same error was Elementary OS 5.1 (at one point I was using 5.0 - there were no problems).

I can install the problematic distributions on Legacy mode but I face othe problems there.

Just wondering what's the difference here so one distro can boot with no problem, but the other fails?

And of course if anyone found a different solution to the problem would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by sladyrko on Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tszkitc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't install because mmx64.efi missing. Solutions posted here not working.

Post by tszkitc »

My HP notebook also did this.
Looks like the only way to get it right is to install Linux Mint 19.2 and update to 19.3.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Try this : https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
i.e. go into the firmware interface/BIOS use the "select UEFI file as trusted for executing" and select EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

sladyrko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sladyrko »

Not working.

sladyrko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sladyrko »

fabien85 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:11 am
Which method ?
All of the above.
To do EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi and give it a trust I need to have Mint installed. Without it it's not possible I guess.

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Hum I'm not 100% sure what's going on, but try booting the USB with secure Boot ON.
Mint is normally compatible with secure boot.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

What program did you use to create the bootable usb?
Have you selected sata mode=AHCI in your bios?
Try booting into a live session that loads, then go to Terminal and enter the following command and post the results back here..
inxi -Fxz

sladyrko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sladyrko »

kato181 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:00 am
Try booting into a live session that loads, then go to Terminal and enter the following command and post the results back here..
inxi -Fxz
First used Etcher, then tried with Rufus (this is what I usually use to create bootable USB and always worked for me). I can't boot into Live session, it doesn't boot at all. The ACER logo shows up and after that the errors from my first post.

About the Secure boot I've tried with On (usually works with pretty much all distros) and tried with OFF just to see if it will boot that way - no luck.

Installed Linux many times, many different distros, have no idea why with the latest Mint release and eOS this is happening. Acers have pretty messed up UEFI from what I've read but still always managed to make it work.

I guess this won't be solved with the typical troubleshooting... Hope some of the devs would see this thread and take a look.

Thank you all for trying to help.

kato181
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kato181 »

sladyrko wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:02 am
kato181 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:00 am
inxi -Fxz
First used Etcher, then tried with Rufus (this is what I usually use to create bootable USB and always worked for me). I can't boot into Live session, it doesn't boot at all. The ACER logo shows up and after that the errors from my first post.

About the Secure boot I've tried with On (usually works with pretty much all distros) and tried with OFF just to see if it will boot that way - no luck.

Installed Linux many times, many different distros, have no idea why with the latest Mint release and eOS this is happening. Acers have pretty messed up UEFI from what I've read but still always managed to make it work.

I guess this won't be solved with the typical troubleshooting... Hope some of the devs would see this thread and take a look.

Thank you all for trying to help.
I have acer laptop and have had no problem installing any of mint versions. I have mint 19.3 on it and it works fine. You don't have rain enabled do you?
Try this link..
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1109639 ... -not-found

sladyrko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sladyrko »

Someone posted a solution on Reddit:

Just went to the USB \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi and copied it to the desktop, renamed it to e mmx64.efi and put it back to the USB EFI\BOOT\ and everything works now.

It would be nice if someone from the Mint team can add it to the next release.

Return to “Installation & Boot”