Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

(Solved) Using Linux Mint and Unsupported Windows 7

Post by Alvin »

I have a few questions concerning my future use of my dual boot system. After mid-January, my Windows 7 will be unsupported. At present, I use Linux Mint except when there is a special program I have in Windows 7 and not in Mint.

1. Is there a way I can run such Windows programs within Linux without rebooting to Windows 7 and have access to Windows 7 files ? At present, I keep important Windows 7 files on an SD card if I need some information from them while in Linux.

2. When I run Windows 7, I disconnect my modem so that I am not prey to viruses, etc., as would especially be a danger with unsupported Windows 7. Am I mistaken to think that disconnecting my modem protects me? When connected to the internet as I am when I boot Linux Mint, can my Windows 7 partitions become infected even though I am using partition 4, the ext partition for Linux?

Your assistance would be much appreciated. I am not very skillful in Linux Mint commands.
Last edited by Alvin on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Using Linux Mint and Unsupported Windows 7

Post by Larry78723 »

As long as you never connect to the 'net from Win7 you are safe. Smart move to disconnect ethernet cable when in Win7 but you also have to disable wireless.

Hope this helps,
Larry

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Sounds to me that you are in a situation where using Windows 7 as a virtualbox guest in a Mint host system would be good for you.

Not that easy to set up originally, but not beyond most users either.
When you have issues setting it up I am sure that there will be plenty of support here.
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alvin »

Larry 78723: Thanks for the encouragement! I assume that removing AC power from the modem would not allow any internet signal to corrupt my system. It is easier to "pull the AC plug" than to remove the ethernet cable from the back panel of my computer and to disconnect my router (which broadcasts). No modem, no signal to the router, whether powered on not, right?

Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alvin »

RIH: I shall look into the "virtual box" setup. Thanks!

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (Solved) Using Linux Mint and Unsupported Windows 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You really do not have to disconnect the power cord from router or anything like that...simply click the network manager icon in the bottom right hand side panel/taskbar and click the word "disconnect" for your ethernet and/or your wireless connection...thats all there is to it...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Installation & Boot”